What triangle is the best rack for one pocket ,straight pool

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
That usually has more to do with the table/cloth (divots) and/or balls (unevenly worn) than the triangle. Of course if you're using a warped wooden one or an overly-flexible plastic one, that won't help.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the heft or noise it makes but the Delta-13 Select works great for getting a tight rack. I also like the wood Diamond racks and have considered trading my Delta for one.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't like the heft or noise it makes but the Delta-13 Select works great for getting a tight rack.

It weighs no more than the cue you'll literally be holding 10x longer, depending on who's racking. ;)

As far as the noise, there are ways to mute the sound (which isn't annoying to me at all IMO). The easiest (and free) way is to manipulate the sides of the rack with your fingers, thus dampening the vibrations.

As far as I'm concerned, the pros of the Delta-13 outweigh the cons. Even the price didn't bother me.

I like tight racks and a triangle that gives me enough room at the back to remove it without bumping balls.

YMMV

Maniac

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for home use

I am having trouble getting balls frozen

thank you
dean
Having trouble getting balls frozen may not be the fault of the rack. It might be the set of balls. I would suggest an Accu rack template if you want to make sure the balls are frozen.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the heft or noise it makes but the Delta-13 Select works great for getting a tight rack. I also like the wood Diamond racks and have considered trading my Delta for one.

I have both also. The Diamond wood triangle only racks tight in one of the two directional choices (even with new balls), and still needs tape on the inside of the front point to get the head ball to freeze. I use it most of the time since it is larger, and thus easier to gather the balls & remove without disturbing them. I grab the Delta though when the last ball in 14.1 is close to the lines.
If your cloth is old, you can forget about freezing the balls if positioned correctly. I used to have to rack a bit high or low from the foot spot until I had the table recovered. I tried wetting the cloth and training it, but only ended up with divots that hindered ball spread when playing straight pool.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it can also be due cloth change. There might be some chalk bumps on rack area under the cloth ...
many reasons.. many times it is corner balls roll of in 14.1. If you try to put some training on cloth try only to do those balls.

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have both of these racks and they both work awesome.

The noise of the Delta 13 is no big deal unless you are in a public room that has a Delta 13 on every one of the 20+ tables, then it can get loud.

The only drawback to the Diamond rack is for 14.1- as it is a large frame rack and you have to leave considerable more room for the break out ball to accommodate for the extra real estate it occupies.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... put some training on cloth try only to do those balls.
I believe it is a mistake to believe that the OP will understand "training" in the same way that you understand "training". You may want to expand.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
for home use

I am having trouble getting balls frozen

thank you
dean

Dean,

I suggest the "new" Diamond plastic rack. Found it to rack consistently tight. If you have a line drawn on your cloth as a center line for the rack, flip the Diamond over and there is a plastic support in the rear which will aid in rack alignment. The rack also has doubled supports up front where the front ball should be racked.

Lyn

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A vote for Delta 13. Should last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,

I suggest the "new" Diamond plastic rack. Found it to rack consistently tight. If you have a line drawn on your cloth as a center line for the rack, flip the Diamond over and there is a plastic support in the rear which will aid in rack alignment. The rack also has doubled supports up front where the front ball should be racked.

Lyn

yea. new Diamond plastic triangles are good. I was surprised when had test on them..

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it is a mistake to believe that the OP will understand "training" in the same way that you understand "training". You may want to expand.

Sorry. My English is little bit restricted. I can´t always say what i want. :D

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry. My English is little bit restricted. I can´t always say what i want. :D
And I apologize for not being clearer myself:

The vast majority of American pool players have absolutely no idea what "training" means as related to racking the balls because they have never seen it, done it, or even heard of it.

We do not train tables in the US.

If you want the OP to know what "training" means, you will probably have to explain it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the answer to the original question, the Delta-13 is the most accurate triangle you can get. I prefer it with the sound deadeners.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Another vote for the Delta 13. Second would be the old Diamond wooden racks.

Matt,

The Diamond wood racks have one failing. With enough racks, the interior sides of the rack start to wear a groove and will not longer allow the balls to be racked tightly.

There is also a different problem that comes into play in a pool room. With constant use, the pool balls wear. If they wear enough or unevenly, again they will not rack tightly. In some rooms the 10 through 15 by not get used as much. They may be slightly larger also leading to loose racks.

Lyn