CJ Wiley - Got to take a Session , WOW ! The Fundamental Key's

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted a few days ago about getting to meet and play a few racks with the great CJ Wiley . CJ is a real class guy who not only took the time to play a couple of racks with my Son and I but also answered some Questions for us. In watching CJ run thru racks you see indeed why he is a World Champion , His Cue ball control is phenomenal and he seem to have it on a string just following were he wanted it to go , and he was popping balls in like a gun. I was very impressed with his skills , you see them on TV but when you see it in person and up close it really takes it to another level. I asked him about doing a Session with my Son and I and he did just that. CJ is a excellent Teacher and knows how to adapt to your style of learning. I have been around pool for 30 years and in that session I learned things that I never even thought of that has helped me tremendously . Footwork is indeed the key to fundamentally being in the right stance. If your feet is off , your whole body is off . CJ holds the keys to building yourself to becoming that next level player. My Son just started and right off the bat he fixed his stance which helped him to shoot his shots straight and more precise. He also got his stroke to another level and that follow thru , Wow. I also have to admit that playing with a Professional was cool enough in itself. But CJ wants to share with you what he has learned from his days on the road and becoming a World Class Champion of the game. He even stayed longer then he had to talking with us about his road days . If CJ is coming to your area and your are serious about taking your game to the next level then get hooked up with him . I promise you won't regret it and you will learn the Champion way to play. My game has improved a ton and I am just starting back from being away from the game for 20 years. Back in my day , cloth was slow and you had to drive them in , CJ changed my whole approach to the game and showed me the right way . Thank you CJ for all your help , It is Greatly Appreciated. I have a video of CJ working with my Son but it will not let me post it here saying it is invalid video format, Once I figure that out I will post it and you see 1st hand how CJ Fixed his Stroke and follow thru.

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, awesome instructor. I was ready to walk away from the game, then along came C. J. He has elevated my game along with my confidence, and I'm still seeing improvements each day.

And I agree, if you have an opportunity to work with C. J. then take advantage of it. Money well spent.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Sure. Well worth the price of admission. The Sword drill is cool to. I liked that. That sword is pretty neat and who would have thought of that. The sessions are neat and I hated to see it end I learned more in that session than I did in 20 years of playing. CJ is the Man no doubt. Footwork is were is starts, you have to have a solid foundation and square on the shot line. You see why he is indeed a Champion Player.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just curious here. After you guys worked with C.J. did he ever have you guys just rolling balls down the table?

Yes, you read that right. Did he have you guys rolling balls down the table in an effort to improve your game?

r/DCP

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Footwork is were is starts, you have to have a solid foundation and square on the shot line.

Can you expand on this statement. What do you mean square on the shot line. I have heard and seen numerous ways to line up, back foot on the shot line/front foot parallel to shot line (Tor Lowry teaches this method), others swear to square your hips up so that they are more perpendicular to the shot line. Just curious what you learned from CJ as far as stance.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just curious here. After you guys worked with C.J. did he ever have you guys just rolling balls down the table?

Yes, you read that right. Did he have you guys rolling balls down the table in an effort to improve your game?

r/DCP
I'd imagine a knowledgeable viewer of another's game would be able to determine if speed awareness is a hole that needs attention.

In general, is it a worthwhile drill? For some, yes.

I know a very good player who spent about 4 hrs one day just lagging all 15 to the opposite end of the table (no rail contact). I'll be damned if he couldnt get them all within about 3" of end rail after a while. on lsd

You should probably try that.

Oh- I later saw him trying to get action on all 15 close to the rail and he was asking for a diamond's width under- line. so slick.:rolleyes:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

No, He did not just have us rolling balls down the table , What would that do just out of Curiosity ? He Did have us do some drills that were unique in that I learned that I have been hitting the cue ball way harder than I needed to. Finesse , That is were it is at. We look at it from a Novice side were CJ looks at from a Professional side. You don't get to be a ESPN World Champion by just rolling balls down the table .

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you expand on this statement. What do you mean square on the shot line. I have heard and seen numerous ways to line up, back foot on the shot line/front foot parallel to shot line (Tor Lowry teaches this method), others swear to square your hips up so that they are more perpendicular to the shot line. Just curious what you learned from CJ as far as stance.

CJ showed me right off the bat that I was not lining up on the shot right and that I was about a foot off. You want the shot line to be in the center of your vision , Your Feet is key to this and how you line up and keeping the shot line in the center or your vison, I , grew up playing pool and have been around a lot of really good players trying to learn all I could and nobody ever showed me this. HUGE , I am now shooting straight instead of at a angle with coming sideways . I feel more confident and have less to think about , but you have to follow his method. Join his website - Mastering Pocket Billiards- He explains it in his video also. I have been a member for over a month and really enjoy it. You get your $ 10 bux worth and then some. But for me I am a hands on learning type so being able to have him work with me in Person made me understand it better. He broke it down for me to learn it easier. He is a Excellent Teacher. Most Teachers can only teach one way and if you do not get it the 1st time or 2 they give up. CJ knows how to adapt to your thought Process, Adapt and overcome.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, He did not just have us rolling balls down the table , What would that do just out of Curiosity ? He Did have us do some drills that were unique in that I learned that I have been hitting the cue ball way harder than I needed to. Finesse , That is were it is at. We look at it from a Novice side were CJ looks at from a Professional side. You don't get to be a ESPN World Champion by just rolling balls down the table .

And you don't learn to play position without knowing how to control speed and there are specific drills to facilitate awareness (and adaptation to various influences).

Plus, just seeing a person roll a ball to the rail provides a lot of data to a knowing observer.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
My guess would be he's taking a shot at either Gene or something close to that.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had a lesson with a SPF/PBIA Instructor where rolling balls down the table were the main focus. Granted they want you to work on specific areas when you roll those balls down the table.

And since C.J. is a top notch instructor I wanted to see if what he teaches is similar or not to what some other instructors teach. It was no dig, no taking a shot, at someone else. It was out of curiosity.

r/DCP

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
He did have a special drills of rolling balls down the table. I don't want to give it away but its on his precision pool drills DVD or his website.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cost?................................

I ask CJ about having a session and I was a expecting at Least $100 an hour , but he did 3 hrs for $200 and that was a heck of a Deal. It is Well Worth the Price of Admission. My Son and I not only learned a lot but We had a great time. CJ is a Cool Cat. I look forward to doing another when he makes his way back to our part of the Country.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a lesson with a SPF/PBIA Instructor where rolling balls down the table were the main focus. Granted they want you to work on specific areas when you roll those balls down the table.

And since C.J. is a top notch instructor I wanted to see if what he teaches is similar or not to what some other instructors teach. It was no dig, no taking a shot, at someone else. It was out of curiosity.

r/DCP

I gotcha. No problem. The Session was really neat and CJ takes your thought process to a whole other level. Like I said he holds the Keys to the Foundation of Pool Excellence ! I Highly recommend him if you are looking to get that next level.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to CJ's web site, and my AVG virus protection blocked me from going there, said it was a threat. He might want to know that.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to CJ's web site, and my AVG virus protection blocked me from going there, said it was a threat. He might want to know that.

It is not a virus , Avg sucks just so you know. I have been a member for 3 months and have had zero issues. My virus protection never has picked up anything. I use to use Avg. I switched because it sucks.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In watching CJ run thru racks you see indeed why he is a World Champion

Please clarify. I am not aware of CJ winning either a World 9-ball Championship or a US Open 9-ball Championship. In what year did he win a world championship? Not saying he didn't win one, just saying I don't remember it.