Historic Finals Today: Lee Van Corteza vs Thorsten Hohmann for the World 14.1 Title

Who will win?

• Thorsten Hohmann wins 5th World 14.1 title

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Lee Van Corteza becomes first Asian World 14.1 winner

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
300 point match at 1:00pm EST on WorldStraightPool.com .

Germany vs Philippines. Asia vs Europe.
Will Thorsten win his 5th title getting closer to Mosconi's 7 wins or will Lee Van become the first Asian World 14.1 ever in its 105 years?

22279736_1514401911982734_6094913978208372626_n.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a rematch from the finals of the US Open Straight Pool Championship 6 months ago. Lee Vann Corteza won that one 200-149.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Toasty is just one of the best people in pool, but I'd love to see LeeVan win.

Cheering for both!

LeeVan just had a great look to do some early damage. Finished with a run of 7.

Might not be a good sign.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Intermission or time out (edit: it's an intermission for 30 minutes)

Toasty on a big run (~80). He just left the 15th ball in rack, so he had the tasty head spot break shot. He nails it, goes two rails to the pack, and gets picture perfect for a secondary break, below the stack.

146 - 78 Hohmann leading and still on his run

(I think I'm wrong. He may have missed that break shot, which is why they went on intermission)

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
270/183 VanVan still shooting

Toasty has had his chances, but maybe the humidty is preventing monster runs. LeeVan seems to have wholly adjusted.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
LeeVan Corteza is your World 14.1 Champion, defeating Thorsten Hohmann 300-183.

He now holds the two most prestigious 14.1 titles concurrently.

Congratulations to Thorsten for his runner up finish (he also finished runner up to LeeVan at the US Open 14.1).

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Will Thorsten win his 5th title getting closer to Mosconi's 7 wins

Dude screw off.

It is one thing to call this the 14.1 world championships. It is another thing entirely to attempt to compare the results in your little event here with the one Mosconi played in and pretend anything anyone in your event does can match a Mosconi record.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude screw off.

It is one thing to call this the 14.1 world championships. It is another thing entirely to attempt to compare the results in your little event here with the one Mosconi played in and pretend anything anyone in your event does can match a Mosconi record.

Not to mention discounting 8 of Mosconi's wins. :rolleyes:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not to mention discounting 8 of Mosconi's wins. :rolleyes:

According to his autobiography, just 7 of Mosconi's championships were in tournaments, the rest in challenge matches. Maybe that's the distinction they are making.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude screw off.

Are you saying the best 14.1 players in the world did not participate in this event? I think they did and am happy this event happens. Without Koreandragon, 14.1 isn't played. I think it qualifies as a World Championship.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there this week in NYC- no way this qualifies as a "World Championship" The round robin's are a joke with guys who can't run 20balls competing. The bye's favor getting the better players into the final matches with the least amount of competition- what little competition existed here. I attended the 1989 US Open 14.1 in Chicago- as an example there were at least ten guys in that tournament that would have EASILY been in the finals here: Rempe, Varner, Siegel, West, Mizerak, Ortmann, DiLiberto, Martin, Liscotti, Hopkins - not to mention others such as Fusco, Colavita, Zuglan, Matthews, Johnny Tona from Alabama,and several others I probably forgot.

To compare this to a Willie Mosconi lifetime straight pool achievement is utterly ridiculous, and so was Charlie Williams daily posts on this site about the event _ look, I really appreciate that he keeps 14.1 alive in some format in NYC, but he goes way, way overboard in his childish promotional attempts!~ One more point- inducting Danny Barouty into a 14.1 Hall of Fame- are you kidding? I have never seen this guy run more than 50 balls in more than 10 of these events, shows up for a World Championship playing with a ridiculous hat on his head- just a joke. What MAJOR 14.1 championship against true world class competition did he EVER win? - or even come close to winning

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the criticism of this event should be the last thing anyone complains about. There's enough problems with pool in general than complaining about Dragon Promotions calling this a world championship. then again, I really don't care much what it is called, as long as I'm seeing world class 14.1.

If you ask me, the only thing I would change about this event is to make it an open event for the first 64 players who sign up. I think it would bring out more people. and yes, some of the guys could not run 20 balls, but let's be honest, it's not as if everyone else was running 100s all the time.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... One more point- inducting Danny Barouty into a 14.1 Hall of Fame- are you kidding? I have never seen this guy run more than 50 balls in more than 10 of these events, shows up for a World Championship playing with a ridiculous hat on his head- just a joke. What MAJOR 14.1 championship against true world class competition did he EVER win? - or even come close to winning

Barouty has run hundreds a zillion times and is very knowledgeable about how to play the game. But in recent years, in his 50's and now his 60's, his ball-pocketing skills have not been what they once were.

But that's irrelevant to his induction into this Hall of Fame, because he was inducted in the Unsung Hero category, not the Greatest Player category. This is analogous to the BCA Hall of Fame's two categories -- Greatest Player and Meritorious Service.

Danny's induction was to recognize his promotion of leagues and events in NY and CA.