Want to thank Bob Jewitt

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to thank Bob Jewitt for making his vast trove of past articles available online.

I had been reading them recently and came across one that taught me a trick that I had never thought of. The article was a rules question regarding a game where his opponent had laid the cue stick down on the table with the tip just under the cue ball edge. Then he picked cue straight up (or maybe did the reverse by dropping the tip). The result was a slight hit on the cue ball to hit the 8 ball against the rail and bring it back frozen to the cue ball. He mentioned in the article the other method of swiping side to side with the tip.

It was not a few days later where I had a very similar situation arise. I did not feel like getting into an argument on the legality of picking the cue tip up to execute the shot (not sure if Bob ever got an official answer to his question) so I did the side to side swipe.

The trick won the game for me.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The situation I did it on was going to be a foul anyway, I was completely snookered, and needed to freeze the 10 ball (opponent was stripes) against the 8 ball as he was going to have ball in hand any which way I went (unless extremely lucky).

The goal was to make sure he did not have any pocket to shoot at, even with ball in hand.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, there has been a ruling. It's now generally agreed that a shot must be done with a forward motion of the cue stick. (In the case of masse shots or elevated shots, that would be along the axis of the cue stick.)

I'd have to see the shot you did to rule on it.

And in some rules, the lifting trick is unsportsmanlike conduct with possible loss of game.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be interested to see how Bob responds. (I assume you are talking about Bob Jewett. I never heard of Bob Jewitt.) [A couple of minutes too late.]

There is such a thing as taking an intentional foul, and quite another thing called cheating. Why didn't you just rearrange the balls with your hand?

If I were the opponent, I would return the balls to their original positions, and tell you to execute a legal shot. I would also warn you not to do that shit again.

Last edited:

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting question about the legality. It was an APA game and to my knowledge there is no replacement of the balls under these circumstances.

If it was cheating, I was not intending to, as I believed it was within the rules. My opponent was the league operator and he did not have an issue.

Now that I learn there was a ruling about the motion of the cue stick - this just became a one trick pony.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting question about the legality. It was an APA game and to my knowledge there is no replacement of the balls under these circumstances.

If it was cheating, I was not intending to, as I believed it was within the rules. My opponent was the league operator and he did not have an issue.

Now that I learn there was a ruling about the motion of the cue stick - this just became a one trick pony.
APA is different.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The situation:

The 8 ball is froze mid way on the rail. The 10 ball is 1/4 in away from 8 ball at about 60 degrees off center. The cue ball is about is less than a 1/4 in in away from 10 ball on the same 60 degree line.

Long table bank has no chance. Cross bank into 8 would require perfect spin to bring it back into 8, and with chance to make the 8.

This was an intentional foul on my part, no question about that. They key was speed control to get the 10 frozen on the 8 and not double kiss.

Would be curious how this is any different from hitting opponents ball into different position - like up table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The situation:

The 8 ball is froze mid way on the rail. The 10 ball is 1/4 in away from 8 ball at about 60 degrees off center. The cue ball is about is less than a 1/4 in in away from 10 ball on the same 60 degree line.

Long table bank has no chance. Cross bank into 8 would require perfect spin to bring it back into 8, and with chance to make the 8.

This was an intentional foul on my part, no question about that. They key was speed control to get the 10 frozen on the 8 and not double kiss.

Would be curious how this is any different from hitting opponents ball into different position - like up table.
The intentional foul is permissible.
...but there are rules for how you stroke it...I’ve seen your method not allowed in a tournament.

But I agree with your sentiments about Mr Jewettt...
...spelling his name correctly would show a lot of respect.....:smile:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I agree with your sentiments about Mr Jewettt...
...spelling his name correctly would show a lot of respect.....:smile:
Me too. After all Bobb's done for us and pool, the very least we can do in return is spell his name right.

pj
chgo

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I apologize to Mr.Jewett for the misspelling of his name. It escaped me when I was submitting the post.

I am genuinely thankful for making his work available to us.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.. But I agree with your sentiments about Mr Jewettt... ...spelling his name correctly would show a lot of respect.....:smile:
And remember that when said it rhymes with screw it.:grin:

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheating at the local poolroom will have you gasping for air as someone chokes you out.

A legal stroke is when the cue strikes the cue ball in a forward motion.....or if you want to argue...your skull strikes the floor in a downward motion.

crile1

Registered
So this technique is allowed in the APA and what other leagues ? Back in 1989 Mike Sigel showed me this and said it was a legal shot !

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So this technique is allowed in the APA and what other leagues ? Back in 1989 Mike Sigel showed me this and said it was a legal shot !

At the time I wrote the article, the "stick lift" trick had not been ruled on so far as I know. I think it is a miscue, since the tip does not grab the cue ball and miscues are explicitly illegal if played intentionally.

In any case, by most rules and in most places, it probably won't fly.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I apologize to Mr.Jewett for the misspelling of his name. It escaped me when I was submitting the post.

I am genuinely thankful for making his work available to us.
I hope you understand we're messing with Bob, not with you. We all make spelling misteaks.

pj
chgo

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, there has been a ruling. It's now generally agreed that a shot must be done with a forward motion of the cue stick. (In the case of masse shots or elevated shots, that would be along the axis of the cue stick.)

I'd have to see the shot you did to rule on it.

And in some rules, the lifting trick is unsportsmanlike conduct with possible loss of game.

There is a legal way to shoot this shot by laying your cue on the table and holding the ferrule between your thumb and forefinger. You can then shoot by moving the cue forward with just your two fingers. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to shoot (and control) a little tap shot (safety) this way.