60 inch cue ? Why

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be in the wrong section and I Apologize if it is , But I have seen Cues that are 60 inch's in length . What would the reason be for needing a little longer cue . what are the benefit to have a 60 inch cue. I believe standard is 57 or 58 inch's so what would adding 2 or 3 extra inch's help . For instance on Ebay Dale Perry has his cues listed for $99-119.00 for standard and he has 2 60 inch cues listed for $ 299.00 . Why that much of a increase for a few extra inch's. Thanks for the help in advance.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I went to a 60” cue because I have a naturally long distance between my bridge and grip. I was tending to grip behind the wrap on the butt sleeve. I like to be able to feel the linen wrap in my grip, I had Larry Miller (aka Killer Miller) build me a 30” butt with the wrap extending all the way back to the butt cap. I’m never gripping without feeling the wrap now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be in the wrong section and I Apologize if it is , But I have seen Cues that are 60 inch's in length . What would the reason be for needing a little longer cue . what are the benefit to have a 60 inch cue. I believe standard is 57 or 58 inch's so what would adding 2 or 3 extra inch's help . For instance on Ebay Dale Perry has his cues listed for $99-119.00 for standard and he has 2 60 inch cues listed for $ 299.00 . Why that much of a increase for a few extra inch's. Thanks for the help in advance.

99% of the cues I make for people are all 60", that's what they asked for. Some want the 8" extension as well.

If you can't handle the 68", stick with the 57" and smile, it's a good day, to each his own.

Perhaps you play on bar tables, the longer cues are great on 9 foot tables like mine.

ONCE YOU GO 60", YOU DON'T GO BACK.

Smile, it's Friday.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I enjoy playing on the nine foot tables, and the flexibility to have that little extra reach translates for me in to that many more shots being executed normally and without the bridge.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'3", and a standard 58" cue literally falls out of my hand on some shots. Since going to a 60" cue, I'm much happier.

For people under 6' tall, there is no issue like that, and then it just becomes a preference as to length. Some players even prefer 55" and 56".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 3" cf extension for my Mezz and really like it. I'm 6'2" with long arms and the 61" length really fits me. It all depends on your size and what size table you play on the most.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The irony about table sizes is that both carom cues (10' tables), and snooker cues (12' tables) are shorter than pool cues (9' tables). :grin-square:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You need to ask the cuemaker why the price for longer cues is that much higher.

As to why you want a longer cue, many taller players find it's much easier to use that length to match their arm swing, and you can reach further shots with it, some like the weight and balance of it. Most DP cues I have seen are in the $200 range, not 100. If you have a car with 200 hp why are there cars with 300 hp? Or if you have a single burger why are there double burgers? There is always a reason for something to exist.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
More a "why not" thing

It is more of a why not thing. Sixty inches still fits my case with joint protectors on and since I move back and forth on my cue I use all sixty inches. I could play with shorter, but why?

I never use a bridge on a bar table. Not saying I shouldn't sometimes ...

Hu

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
The irony about table sizes is that both carom cues (10' tables), and snooker cues (12' tables) are shorter than pool cues (9' tables). :grin-square:
Most carom players play more upright to see the angles on the table. Classic snooker cue have a chamfer on the back for grain orientation and thus most players hold the cue all the way back and thus the cue plays longer.

Watch this. Nice and low and backhand all the way back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQlkjxnxbk

Attachments

• O1CN0109yPNJ1PUax5tRsjS_!!1687811844.jpg
    O1CN0109yPNJ1PUax5tRsjS_!!1687811844.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 217

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Im only 6'1" but I always found myself gripping my cue at the butt sleeve, on many shots 2 of my fingers are off of the rear of the cue and touching the bumper. Since adding a custom 3" extension I no longer have that problem. I often still grip behind the wrap but that does not bother me. If I didnt have my rear hand so far back on the butt my forearm would be angled considerately forward of my elbow and not pointed straight down at QB address.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Snooker cue is 57.5

However, when at a friend’s house, pool room etc and I grab a cue...no difference to me if 57 or 60 inches. After a couple of shots not thinking about it.

Table size doesn’t matter that much to me. If I need the bridge, I use it. Likely not many times, if any, in an evening that an inch longer cue would be better than using a bridge.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd pay 300.00 for two extra inches.:D