Mezz CP-13SW Series- composite wood

terpdad

Registered
I was wondering if anyone could explain the benefits of these cues. The butts are made w/ composite laminated wood "to increase stability, accuracy and deliver more cue power." When I hear composite wood, I think of particleboard or MDF, which would usually be inferior &/or less expensive than solid wood when used in cabinets, furniture, etc. Yet, these cues are more expensive than Mezz's EC & Axi series which feature "real" wood.

Are these cues w/ composite wood butts essentially cheap cues w/ marketing behind them? Would they be any better/worse than a solid or spliced butt?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone could explain the benefits of these cues. The butts are made w/ composite laminated wood "to increase stability, accuracy and deliver more cue power." When I hear composite wood, I think of particleboard or MDF, which would usually be inferior &/or less expensive than solid wood when used in cabinets, furniture, etc. Yet, these cues are more expensive than Mezz's EC & Axi series which feature "real" wood.

Are these cues w/ composite wood butts essentially cheap cues w/ marketing behind them? Would they be any better/worse than a solid or spliced butt?
Not even REMOTELY close to MDF/particleboard. They first used it in their break cues. VERY strong material. http://mezzcue.com/en/technology_pool/butt/compositewoodtech

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My son owned one of those cues with a wavy joint, and we played with a few using other joints, could not really tell any difference in the construction or hit feel between the other Mezz cues. Not really sure what the idea was to use that design vs just solid wood past cost and ease of working with it. I'm sure it's easier to get a specific material quality using composites, like they way they blend wines for a character vs just using a single vintage for many brands. When you mix things you can blend for characteristics easier.

DrewRgnr

Registered
So by the performance and feel, the CP-13 SW doesn't much different from other mezz cue (precisely ec7)? And is there a difference between mezz united and wavy joint?

terpdad

Registered
So by the performance and feel, the CP-13 SW doesn't much different from other mezz cue (precisely ec7)? And is there a difference between mezz united and wavy joint?

Re. joints, I've read the same thing- there may be a difference, but it is small. Can't say for sure as I've never played w/ a Mezz.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned both joints and both play great. As said on here before the joint has very little to do with how a cue hits. I currently have a AXI-K(Wavy) and i got it 'cause price was right. I've never hit a cp13 but all i've heard is good and they are a big seller.