Which Gold Crown Is The Best?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see posts all the time about the various Gold Crown tables. I am just curious which one posters, players, experts, etc, think is the All Time #1 Best Gold Crown table? And why?

GCI?
GCII?
GCIII?
GCIV?
GCV?
GCVI?

r/DCP

Last edited:

lawlist

Registered
I have a GC-VI and do not like the sloped rails that cause the chalk cubes to slide off onto the floor due to gravity ... it is a pain in the neck to constantly try and leave the chalk about one-half inch away from the rail felt, so that it doesn't touch the felt and so that it doesn't slide off the table and onto the floor.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have a GC-VI and do not like the sloped rails that cause the chalk cubes to slide off onto the floor due to gravity ... it is a pain in the neck to constantly try and leave the chalk about one-half inch away from the rail felt, so that it doesn't touch the felt and so that it doesn't slide off the table and onto the floor.

I have a GCI that spent its entire life in a residential setting, only on its 3rd cloth, has sub-rails modified for current cushions and extended rails for 4 1/2" pockets. The chalk stays on my rails, I would be more than happy to trade you tables. :):):):)
(P.S. I still have the original Monarch Superspeeds in a box yet too)

TrevorB

Registered

The beauty of a GC I with ashtray corners! A great place for your chalk.
23d7513734061b186d727ed680d58799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawlist

Registered
I have an old habit of using the chalk as a marker of where I want my cue ball to land when the shot is over; e.g., the target spot for the cue ball to land is the location of the chalk *plus* a certain imaginary distance from the rail -- the imaginary line using the chalk as an anchor could be perpendicular or diagonal at any angle, it just depends on where the cue ball needs to land.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a choice of any table I ever wanted. And I chose the gold crown one. Play ability is perfect for me never had a problem and I like that it has Wooden dowels to keep the slates together. Bottom line is I just like it I grew up on those tables

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i don't have any experience with the 5 or six

of the ones i can speak of the 3 is the weakest

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The beauty of a GC I with ashtray corners! A great place for your chalk.
23d7513734061b186d727ed680d58799.jpg

I found these ''rattling'' ash trays to be annoying in a large pool room setting with many tables. They make allot of noise that has nothing to do with the game. Personal preference, but I would rather have it occupy some MJ instead of a cigarette. :thumbup:

If I had too choose, it would be the GC II.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Love my GC 4. Haven't had any issues with slipping chalk off the rails. Have the matte black finish with chrome/nickel castings and feet. Plays lights out. Extended rails, 860HR and a good setup guy. Plays nice. The flush pockets are nice as well on the 4's.

I'm sure most ANY Gold Crown would play awesome if it's set up by a great mechanic.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love my GC 4. Haven't had any issues with slipping chalk off the rails. Have the matte black finish with chrome/nickel castings and feet. Plays lights out. Extended rails, 860HR and a good setup guy. Plays nice. The flush pockets are nice as well on the 4's.

I'm sure most ANY Gold Crown would play awesome if it's set up by a great mechanic.

I don’t think you can beat that

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Whichever one you have.
Good point.

Here's how I compare a GC with a Diamond.

The underframe is designed (for play).

A built in holder for the rack under the ball box.

A ball box...Duh....and the counters built into the rail...duh.

Angled aprons that don't cut into your thighs DUH, and the legs that don't get in the way of your footwork, DUH.[/B]

There are sooooooooo many things that interfere with play on a Diamond.

I'm AMAZED they even call this a design, it's allot of expensive wood and very difficult to move, handle/load etc.

It won't fit in an Elevator, not many can afford to rent a helicopter.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found these ''rattling'' ash trays to be annoying in a large pool room setting with many tables. They make allot of noise that has nothing to do with the game. Personal preference, but I would rather have it occupy some MJ instead of a cigarette. :thumbup:

I love the deco look of them. Very cool.

Don't like the playability impact though. Bridging in an ashtray? You know how hot a burning smoke is.

With you on all counts her,e bill.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the deco look of them. Very cool.

Don't like the playability impact though. Bridging in an ashtray? You know how hot a burning smoke is.

With you on all counts her,e bill.

Exactly what I was thinking, bridging over that ashtray would be a pain.

TrevorB

Registered
Exactly what I was thinking, bridging over that ashtray would be a pain.

That’s prob the one downside. I like the look, plus I’m a casual player, so I’m good with having them. I have them on two corners.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a IV with rails by Mark Gregory. It’s a damn nice table. Would like a V but any Gold Crown is a nice table including a III.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Never forget these at Ichy's Stardust. They were loud for sure.
Miss those days.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a IV with rails by Mark Gregory. It’s a damn nice table. Would like a V but any Gold Crown is a nice table including a III.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Sweet, I’d like to get Mark’s rails on my IV, but I don’t want to take my table out of commission until things are back to normal.

To the OP, I’d get the one that’s a good deal, is in good shape, and is close. If you’re not in a hurry some crazy good deals come up.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already have a Gold Crown IV. Bought it brand new from Orner Billiards in Indianapolis for Christmas of 2002. Was delivered/setup in early January of 2003.

I was hoping to get some SPECIFIC answers as to which table posters, players, etc, think is the BEST Gold Crown. So far alot of responses about tables but not alot of posts indicating which one they consider the best.

r/DCP