Keith Mcready - what kind of Cue did he play back in his day

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son has been watching the Color of Money and has become a fan of Grady Season , the Legendary Keith Mcready. He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm. He was hoping that someone would know what cue that Keith played with back in his hey day. I am not for sure if that is a McDermott that Keith is using in the COM but any help would be Appreciated. Maybe what cue. Or brand he liked. Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I've read the Man has been through a lot of sticks.

He was cozy with a jack madden last I was around him.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I am finding it seems he liked Schon cues. I wonder if he ever used a Meucci anytime during his Career.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner told a good story on a 1998 US Open Accu-Stats match. He said out at the Lake Tahoe tournament years ago that Keith broke and ran the first three racks in his first match and then turned to the crowd and said....

"Just wanted to let everybody know that I'm in town....."

r/DCP

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I dunno if the sidearm stroke is one really worth working at developing. It came about from Keith being young & short when he began playing. At least that's the impression I got.

This thread did make me curious though...anybody know the cue he used in the movie?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno if the sidearm stroke is one really worth working at developing. It came about from Keith being young & short when he began playing. At least that's the impression I got.

This thread did make me curious though...anybody know the cue he used in the movie?
I think I remember hearing McDermott's of some kind were used in the movie.

Looks like he was using different cues in both these scenes to me

https://youtu.be/6IUXEWVH9BQ

https://youtu.be/fjN9Qe237bw

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keith would use any cue he could get his hands on! :smile:
No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. :smile:

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm.

Why would he be doing that? That comes out from being too short to play over the table and having to turn the arm to the side to clear the rails, not as an actual proper way to play.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son has been watching the Color of Money and has become a fan of Grady Season , the Legendary Keith Mcready. He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm. He was hoping that someone would know what cue that Keith played with back in his hey day. I am not for sure if that is a McDermott that Keith is using in the COM but any help would be Appreciated. Maybe what cue. Or brand he liked. Thanks

I think it was usually a Budweiser.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
PoolFan, you need to get a grip and use common sense. You are sitting around watching and allowing your son to damage himself. Wake up and do a little reading. Better yet, tell your kid to do some reading. The side arm stroke is an aberration. Its cause is no mystery.

"Hoppe's peculiar style of stroke was a result of his career as a child prodigy. He barely reached the table and had to stand on a box. In Billiards As It Should Be Played Hoppe emphatically advised players not to use his way of directing the cue."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Hoppe

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. :smile:

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!

That's what I was thinking Jay. When the Earthquake was in gear, I doubt it mattered if he was holding a broom handle. :cool:

A suggestion to the OP...If your son is interested in the game because of a character in a movie, that's ok, and still cool. Many of us were attracted to various things, for various reasons, as we "matured." Encouraging your son's love of pocket billiards is definitely something the two of you can enjoy together for a long, long time. Nudge him to become his best self at whatever he chooses to do. The interest has been sparked...now guide him down a proper path. :cool:

mrparks

Registered
Very rarely did I ever see Keith play with a flashy, high end cue. This added to his advantage as a hustler. It's hard to tell what cue(s) he used in the movie but there was more than one. I'd be willing to bet he played with whatever another player on the set let him use.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

BAD idea. KM shot that way 'cause he was too short when he started. As for cues, Jay knows if anyone does. Keith played with whatever he could use or borrow. Efren was same way, he used ALL kinds from $17 pos to Schon's, Judd's, Meucci's etc.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
In order to be a "complete" pool player, one must have a well rounded education about his sport. I submit that most of us acquired most of our education in pool halls -- the school of pool. The bookworms among us supplemented our basic education by reading anything we could find.

There is no substitute for hanging out in a pool hall -- it would take many months to begin to convey all that one can learn. If your kid really wants to be a player, he needs to find the right pool hall to hang out in. And, of course, read everything he can get his hands on, too.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolFan101...Get your son a lesson with a qualified instructor...one who uses video analysis. That sidearm stroke is terribly difficult for mortals to develop accurately. Nip that problem in the bud NOW, not later.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Hello ,

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Bugs did the same thing.

Someone would make a game for him and he would ask who had a cue he could borrow. Line formed. He sweated profusely, but when you got your stick back you know a world champion just used it to school someone at banks or one hole.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Keith in his best day could I am sure kick most peoples behinds with a house Cue, because it was his skill that what made him great, not the Cue. JMHO

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
You could reach out and ask him on Facebook, he's on there. Not prolific, tho someone he's very close to could be considered such, and may very well get his attention to the question :wink:

mrparks

Registered
Bugs came to Memphis during a tournament in 1991 and his backer bought him a Tim Scruggs sneaky Pete that was about 4" longer than an average cue. He played with it for 2 weeks and with his height, you'd have thought it had been specifically made for him. No one even came close to beating him. He gave a local guy 13-5 in 1 pocket for $1,000/game and beat him 3 straight. Didn't even take the cue with him when he went back to Chicago and his backer sold it for pretty cheap to Gordy Christopherson.