GROUPS World 14.1. Upcoming Matches. Results. Photos.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone asked about the payouts.
1st place $5500
2nd $4000
3rd and 4th $2400
5-8 $1600
9-12 $850
14-16 $600
I have attended this event for many years. It was easy when it was in New Jersey only minutes from my house. When it moved to Steinway I started attending only Wednesday thru Saturday.

The early rounds got to be boring with fewer and fewer top names. This year was just awful. I arrived Thursday and saw several top players, but only playing much weaker players. Too many buys at every level.

I stayed over to watch the Friday matches. I could not believe the draw for the day. How can you get to the round of 16 with 4 byes!!!! Everyone should be playing. I came to see top players facing off.

One match at 11 with two players I do not know. One decent match at 1:30. I was not paying to wait for 3 hours to see one world class player. Then pay again for the evening matches.

I just left. I doubt I will attend this event again. I feel sorry for the room owners. They could not possibly make any money with an event like this. I bought a raffle ticket to help them out.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone asked about the payouts.
1st place $5500
2nd $4000
3rd and 4th $2400
5-8 $1600
9-12 $850
14-16 $600
(Probably 13th place got $600 unless they were really unlucky:).)

That's $26,500. If the 30 entries were $600, that would be $8500 added. I believe some of the qualifiers may have paid slightly more.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On what basis were the byes given to the players in the final single elimination bracket?

The 4 players who got the byes in the SE stage are Hohmann, Kiamco, Robles, and Schmidt. They are also the only 4 players who went through both the round-robin stage and the double-elimination stage undefeated. Perhaps that's the reason.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So did anyone actually get the stream of these wonderful matches? :eek: How has it been?

The stream, technically, has been good. I think it was down once quite briefly, and had no audio for a couple racks in another match, but otherwise no problems.

---------------------------------------------------

As to today's pool upset --

Michael Badstuebner, a NY player who sometimes commentates in this event, played quite a solid match and defeated Johnny Archer by 50-some balls.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stream, technically, has been good. I think it was down once quite briefly, and had no audio for a couple racks in another match, but otherwise no problems.

---------------------------------------------------

As to today's pool upset --

Michael Badstuebner, a NY player who sometimes commentates in this event, played quite a solid match and defeated Johnny Archer by 50-some balls.

Thanks. Nice to hear Fingers beat Archer.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
When does the stream start today (Saturday)? It looks like some good matchups on the card.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When does the stream start today (Saturday)? It looks like some good matchups on the card.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

According to the flowchart, 11 am local time.

Edit -- It will be Robles vs. Immonen.

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
The 4 players who got the byes in the SE stage are Hohmann, Kiamco, Robles, and Schmidt. They are also the only 4 players who went through both the round-robin stage and the double-elimination stage undefeated. Perhaps that's the reason.

Oh yes, good observation and must be the case. Thank you!