3 Cushion

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best way to learn to play the game? Any book, video or system recommendations? I can usually execute if I see the shot, but the biggest problem is seeing the shots. I have learned quite a bit from some youtube matches but need to learn the whys behind shots.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
What is the best way to learn to play the game? Any book, video or system recommendations? I can usually execute if I see the shot, but the biggest problem is seeing the shots. I have learned quite a bit from some youtube matches but need to learn the whys behind shots.

look what takes u to the corner,practice the naturals, and look for 1/4 and half ball hits.Open game and put em in the corners if possible.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A good starting place:

https://www.amazon.com/Byrnes-Standard-Book-Pool-Billiards/dp/0156005549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542478503&sr=8-1&keywords=byrnes+pool+and+billiards+books

The first part is about pool, but the second part has enough 3C material to last for years in the learning process.

n_den

Take It Down!
Silver Member

What is the best way to learn to play the game?
play as often as possible with anyone. anyone good or bad. just keep playing often

Any book, video or system recommendations?
tons of books, video & systems available on the web, get as much as possible

learning from youtube is ok, but imho, you have to be on the table to understand the yyy's, you'll find what your capable of and your limits.

n_den

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Start with Bob Byrne's Standard and Advanced books.

Bargain priced,excellent intro to billiards.

After that, there are many other quality books and videos you can try as well as watching matches on youtube etc...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Start with Bob Byrne's Standard and Advanced books.

Bargain priced,excellent intro to billiards.
Here is a site that will get you both of those delivered to your door for a total less than $12: Byrne used book search

Byrne's books are the best introduction to carom written in English by a large margin. I think they will be all you need until your average at 3-cushion is over 0.50, when it might be time to think about more advanced books.

Recently Andreas Efler published three books on how to avoid (duck) kisses at 3-C, as an example of more advanced topics.

Walt Harris has four volumes on diamond systems, but Byrne covers many of them. Harris tends not to discuss details of the systems such as how they change for new cloth, so each system will be somewhat of a project to learn. If you decide to get the Harris books, go to the Harris site which is being maintained by a friend of Walt's. He has not yet figured out how to change the prices, so they are still at 2010 levels. http://www.billiardsatlas.com/atlas.html

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a site that will get you both of those delivered to your door for a total less than $12: Byrne used book search

Byrne's books are the best introduction to carom written in English by a large margin. I think they will be all you need until your average at 3-cushion is over 0.50, when it might be time to think about more advanced books.

Recently Andreas Efler published three books on how to avoid (duck) kisses at 3-C, as an example of more advanced topics.

Walt Harris has four volumes on diamond systems, but Byrne covers many of them. Harris tends not to discuss details of the systems such as how they change for new cloth, so each system will be somewhat of a project to learn. If you decide to get the Harris books, go to the Harris site which is being maintained by a friend of Walt's. He has not yet figured out how to change the prices, so they are still at 2010 levels. http://www.billiardsatlas.com/atlas.html

Much appreciated.