My VERY DEAR friend...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
This was posted by Loree Jon Hasson on FB.

I had two men in my life that I called dad. Well, (Charlie) Charles J. Ursitti was always my second dad. He is now at peace in heaven rooting for me from above with my dad. I got to speak with him yesterday and still having a good sense of humor he talked about my first World Championship win and how my poor mom was sitting in the middle of him and my dad. With each shot and safety they elbowed, nudged, and punched my mom😂 He also said he would be Refereeing Willie and Fats again. 😊

For those who did not know Charlie, he put pool on TV, and I don’t mean just any TV, I am talking ABC’s Wide World of Sports with Howard Cosell every Saturday!!! Great times for our sport. He also became one of the biggest billiard historians with his collection of photos and such in the world.

He told me that his greatest day was when he was inducted into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame for the Meritorious Award. I was honored when he asked me to introduce him that night. I will always cherish that moment.
I will miss him dearly, but just knowing he is with my dad and his loved ones makes it ok. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Oh my GOD! I didn't know, I've been battling myself. I spoke to him about a month ago, he said he was hanging in there. So distraught I can hardly type. I'm calling Pat Martone now is get some info.R.I.P. My Dear friend, I will miss you more than words can say! YOU are TRULY one the BEST persons I ever met!

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Very Sad News...

It was always funny to me, Charlie trying to keep from laughing with that wry smile attempting to keep Fats and Willie on track.

This is very sad news indeed. The shows he produced fed my interest in pool for many years. Charlie was a very humorous, interesting and stand up guy. The pool community has lost an ardent supporter and contributer to the game.

RIP Charlie....

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Loree Jon speaks highly of this gentleman then indeed we will be missing a great individual who advanced the industry at a very important time.

RIP Sir.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad news and my condolences to his friends and family.

As I understand it, Charlie was responsible for starting up the Mosconi v Fats saga. He’d booked a Fats v Bruce Christopher match at the Waldorf Astoria and while technicians were fiddling with the camera equipment to record the match, Fats was walking around entertaining the crowd. People were asking him who he’d played and beat and Fats was doing his usual about beating a maharaja in India for a fortune, Happy the Chinaman in China who was no longer happy, and so on and so forth. And then some queried if he’d ever beaten Mosconi and Fats said something like, “I’ve beat ‘em all.”

Well, Willie was in the audience and, veins bulging, bolted towards Fats and asked him point blank when Fats had ever beaten him, reminding him of a thumping he’d put on Fats that necessitated Willie giving Fats train money to get out of town.

Charlie saw the dynamic between the two men and the possibilities and the rest is history.

RIP Charlie.

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A great loss for the billiard world. Charlie was one of our icons going back fifty years in the game. He made things happen! Charlie was a doer, not a talker. I feel fortunate to have worked with him during the Legends of Pool on ESPN. I'm not sure he knew it, but Charlie was someone I looked up to and did my best to emulate. Besides that he was my friend and I will miss him greatly. RIP dear Charlie. A life well lived! :smiling-heart: