QMD3 device for stroke improvement

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I am curious. Can the Digicue be ordered with a laser pointer to help me see where I'm aiming?

Not presently to my knowledge..could be TOP SECRET RAD
..But maybe an eye doctor can install one in your eye socket..
Preferably the dominate eye..

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis. I've never seen the qmd device, never used it, so I have no basis for opinion, though it does seem like it could potentially help players develop a solid, consistent stroke. And I'm sure, like with the Digicue, earlier models lack some of the user friendliness and benefits that newer models provide.

It's a no-brainer for me. If I needed stroke work I wouldn't drive 3 or 4 hours to pay an instructor to record and analyze my stroke and point out flaws and remedies, not when I could do it myself with either a camera or a stroke analysis tool like the qmd ir digi. I mean, with numerous youtube instructions available, not to mention countless books on basic stroke fundamentals, self-learning is really not a difficult option. And I'm not degrading the value of a good private lesson. I'm just saying not everyone needs to go that route.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis. I've never seen the qmd device, never used it, so I have no basis for opinion, though it does seem like it could potentially help players develop a solid, consistent stroke. And I'm sure, like with the Digicue, earlier models lack some of the user friendliness and benefits that newer models provide.

It's a no-brainer for me. If I needed stroke work I wouldn't drive 3 or 4 hours to pay an instructor to record and analyze my stroke and point out flaws and remedies, not when I could do it myself with either a camera or a stroke analysis tool like the qmd ir digi. I mean, with numerous youtube instructions available, not to mention countless books on basic stroke fundamentals, self-learning is really not a difficult option. And I'm not degrading the value of a good private lesson. I'm just saying not everyone needs to go that route.

Thanks. I think these little devices help us along. We've got to decide whether we want a pendulum stroke as 90% of the pool instructors teach in the USA or a piston stroke where the elbow drops. My teacher has the elbow dropping stroke during all of his competition hustling days and thinks it is a better stroke IF we can keep it straight. You must have this kind of stroke as I've seen the "straightness" of the Digicue pegged at the top and that means you follow through straight instead of hitting the cloth 4" out. Just my guess.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought QMD version one and Digicue version 1, abc was a beta tester for Digicue Blue. I think they were all cool to play around with, but did nothing to improve my game.

The gen 1 of both products were super hard to use to me. The blue was much nicer. I never tried a newer QMD.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I’m pretty sure the developer of the Digicue/Digicue Blue talked on this forum with us many times to state that a piston or pendulum stroke could both produce a laser straight reading on his device. He was super active on here when those devices were being introduced and was a great help in answering everyone’s questions.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also, I’m pretty sure the developer of the Digicue/Digicue Blue talked on this forum with us many times to state that a piston or pendulum stroke could both produce a laser straight reading on his device. He was super active on here when those devices were being introduced and was a great help in answering everyone’s questions.

I don't have the Digicue in front of me but I do believe the "straightness" parameter says it will be a lessor amount with a pendulum stroke. Also, hard to peg the "follow through" acceleration parameter with a pendulum stroke. The cue stick in the pendulum stroke hits the cloth about 4" past the cue ball so it's hard to get over an 8 or so. Maybe some can do it, but I can't with a pendulum.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I think these little devices help us along. We've got to decide whether we want a pendulum stroke as 90% of the pool instructors teach in the USA or a piston stroke where the elbow drops. My teacher has the elbow dropping stroke during all of his competition hustling days and thinks it is a better stroke IF we can keep it straight. You must have this kind of stroke as I've seen the "straightness" of the Digicue pegged at the top and that means you follow through straight instead of hitting the cloth 4" out. Just my guess.

I don't believe we "decide" what type of stroke we use. At least I didn't. I just picked up a cue and developed a stroke that felt good and natural, not knowing if it was piston or pendulum or wonky.

If nothing feels good and natural then maybe bowling would be a better option. Lol. And I don't mean you...I just mean anybody that can't seem to develop a comfortable stroke.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else using the QMD3 and can relate experience? I used the original QMD and it was, well, let's say not ready for prime time. The experience has scared me off of buying another one until I know the thing actually works.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But maybe it is better for people to hear all sides of the story, not just the 'gee whiz' side. OP is obviously taken with technological approaches to improvement. I don't think anyone would criticize just that.

But when it becomes: everyone who takes a different approach just doesn't want to know the truth, or is just too cheap to buy one, then there will be pushback - and OP doesn't like that.

And frankly, his description to bbb of how the device tells you how to fix your stroke is ludicrous. If you detect a problem, band-aiding it rather that finding out and correcting the fundamental flaw causing the problem (which is what I understood bbb to be asking) doesn't seem like a good path to improvement.

I bought the original qmd and did not find it useful. It couldn't even tell me how many times I shot, in a given session.

I agree with everything you say. Thanks for the clarification!

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Mosens

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe we "decide" what type of stroke we use. At least I didn't. I just picked up a cue and developed a stroke that felt good and natural, not knowing if it was piston or pendulum or wonky.

If nothing feels good and natural then maybe bowling would be a better option. Lol. And I don't mean you...I just mean anybody that can't seem to develop a comfortable stroke.

With the QMD3 you can use the Side view of the stroke graphic to see what kind of stroke you have. A pendulum stroke will show the cue butt lifting above the baseline on the backstroke and returning on the forward stroke. If your cue butt drops below the baseline during a pendulum stroke this indicates a likely elbow drop. For a piston stroke the cue butt will closely follow the baseline. The Vertical Range metric will show you this information in more detail.

Attachments

• SampleShot5.jpg
    SampleShot5.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 377

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
With the QMD3 you can use the Side view of the stroke graphic to see what kind of stroke you have. A pendulum stroke will show the cue butt lifting above the baseline on the backstroke and returning on the forward stroke. If your cue butt drops below the baseline during a pendulum stroke this indicates a likely elbow drop. For a piston stroke the cue butt will closely follow the baseline. The Vertical Range metric will show you this information in more detail.

Nice. Sort of like having a good instructor watch/video your stroke, only these digital devices can probably record and analyze things in greater detail, capturing much more than the human eye can pick up.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just ordered one to use in conjunction with my Digicue Blue, which is a fantastic device.

I use the latter only for drills and have found it very helpful...BUT...
I think it is a mistake to suggest that the cure for a stroke flaw is simplistic. In other words, if it shows a flaw, you can fix it on the next stroke.

I suffered for quite a while with a j-hook to the left, especially when striking the ball hard. I could have adjusted my stroke all day long and never have improved it by myself because it was not caused by my stroke, it was caused by my stance. By going to a PBIA instructor I got it straightened out, and it had nothing to do with how I was moving (stroking) my arm.

After becoming familiar with my stroke after a few sessions he convinced me to open my hips up to the shot line and that problem disappeared for the most part. My stance was too closed and my chest was getting in the way towards the end of my stroke.

Now when doing drills using the Digicue Blue I can spot this happening and correct my stance.

Meanwhile I also struggle with deceleration at times. i look forward to trying the QMD-3 because it shows an acceleration curve. Looking forward to working on that part of my game.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member

I think a little clarification regarding how shots measured /referenced might help explain the unit. If you could. For me understanding how and what is measured helps me access where and what my issue may be.

If still similar to the old version. Which I bought new and found I could not help myself with it. Understandably any new item goes through changes most often positive.

1) It would show back and forth of warm up strokes included in a shot display.
a) How is base line determined. Not all cue strokes can be held level to start usually always a certain degree butt up.
b) can the video be slowed, old went by rather quickly if I remember correctly.

2) Reference to cue ball center
How is this image determined. Possibly on first pause at address. If so would a
draw shot still indicate center ball if executed at point of address.

I understand the unit is attached to topside of cue so rotation for me is understood and color change in images are pre and post contact with cue ball.

Thanks for any incite.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I just ordered one to use in conjunction with my Digicue Blue, which is a fantastic device.

I use the latter only for drills and have found it very helpful...BUT...
I think it is a mistake to suggest that the cure for a stroke flaw is simplistic. In other words, if it shows a flaw, you can fix it on the next stroke.

I suffered for quite a while with a j-hook to the left, especially when striking the ball hard. I could have adjusted my stroke all day long and never have improved it by myself because it was not caused by my stroke, it was caused by my stance. By going to a PBIA instructor I got it straightened out, and it had nothing to do with how I was moving (stroking) my arm.

After becoming familiar with my stroke after a few sessions he convinced me to open my hips up to the shot line and that problem disappeared for the most part. My stance was too closed and my chest was getting in the way towards the end of my stroke.

Now when doing drills using the Digicue Blue I can spot this happening and correct my stance.

Meanwhile I also struggle with deceleration at times. i look forward to trying the QMD-3 because it shows an acceleration curve. Looking forward to working on that part of my game.

As helpful as these newest gadgets can be, sometimes you need to go that extra mile I guess. Players that are hours away from any instructor, or players that can't justify spending any money on fancy electronics or private lessons, most often go on playing mediocre pool, wishing they were better, but not serious enough about the game to actually strive for improvement.

Mosens

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think a little clarification regarding how shots measured /referenced might help explain the unit. If you could. For me understanding how and what is measured helps me access where and what my issue may be.

If still similar to the old version. Which I bought new and found I could not help myself with it. Understandably any new item goes through changes most often positive.

1) It would show back and forth of warm up strokes included in a shot display.
a) How is base line determined. Not all cue strokes can be held level to start usually always a certain degree butt up.
b) can the video be slowed, old went by rather quickly if I remember correctly.

2) Reference to cue ball center
How is this image determined. Possibly on first pause at address. If so would a
draw shot still indicate center ball if executed at point of address.

I understand the unit is attached to topside of cue so rotation for me is understood and color change in images are pre and post contact with cue ball.

Thanks for any incite.

The QMD unit and software have improved from version 1 to the current version 3. The user guide does a good job of explaining the basic features - instant audible feedback during practice/final strokes WHILE you stroke, automatic motion graphic shot recording and detailed stroke metrics of cue orientation/movement - please refer to it. Also, the iOS/Android software is free, you can install it and get a feel for what the latest software provides - search the Apple or Google app stores for 'QMD3'.

The recording of the cue stroke (for graphics and metrics) begins at the start of final backstroke and ends with cue ball contact. A level/centered baseline is set at the start of the final backstroke and deviations from this baseline are displayed in the graphics (cue stick and cue ball center views) and also used for the detailed metrics.

The speed of the graphics can't be controlled, but it can be paused and advanced forward/backward one frame at a time (shots are recorded at about 110 frames/second) to show you the movements of your cue in great detail.

The web site is www.cue-md.com and the user guide is http://www.cue-md.com/files/user_guide_qmd3.pdf.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got mine the other day. Works amazingly well to display the movement of the stick and the velocity curve is great. I just wish I understood better how to interpret it.

Does anybody know of any tutorials on what the ideal acceleration curve should look like?

My forward stroke tends to be a straight line upwards until contact, whereas examples I have seen on here have more of a constant change in acceleration creating an exponential shaped curve. One problem though is that the forward stroke is compressed on the chart as I have a slow backstroke and long pause. Since it scales to the entire length of the shot the forward stroke is compressed on the chart. Another issue is that the metrics page has shots that I did not take that mess up the averages. note the red circle indicating a shot way away from the center even though all my shots were near the center. I was very careful about not bumping it to cause an inadvertent shot.

Because the curve is so compact in this case it is hard to see the deviation of the curve to determine acceleration. Perhaps a future iteration could include an acceleration curve.

Screen%20Shot%202019-02-28%20at%202.32.13%20PM%20copy_zps4xqvriqo.png

Screen%20Shot%202019-02-28%20at%202.33.42%20PM%20copy_zps83xghbey.png

Mosens

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got mine the other day. Works amazingly well to display the movement of the stick and the velocity curve is great. I just wish I understood better how to interpret it.

Does anybody know of any tutorials on what the ideal acceleration curve should look like?

My forward stroke tends to be a straight line upwards until contact, whereas examples I have seen on here have more of a constant change in acceleration creating an exponential shaped curve. One problem though is that the forward stroke is compressed on the chart as I have a slow backstroke and long pause. Since it scales to the entire length of the shot the forward stroke is compressed on the chart. Another issue is that the metrics page has shots that I did not take that mess up the averages. note the red circle indicating a shot way away from the center even though all my shots were near the center. I was very careful about not bumping it to cause an inadvertent shot.

Because the curve is so compact in this case it is hard to see the deviation of the curve to determine acceleration. Perhaps a future iteration could include an acceleration curve.

Thanks for the comments.

It'd be hard to get agreement on what the ideal velocity curve should look like, your ideal stroke is an individual thing. Sort of like asking - how long should your backstroke pause be? Smoothness and consistency is what you should be going for. You have such a nice, tight pattern on your Impact Distribution, you're for sure doing something right.

Also, like you noted, a slow back stoke/long pause will make your forward stroke acceleration look very steep on the velocity chart.

If you get inadvertent, phantom shots recorded you can remove them from the session by deleting it on the Practice screen (trash can icon). This will keep your session averages accurate. You can also turn down the Shot Detect Sensitivity on the Settings screen to minimize any phantom shot recordings.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments.

It'd be hard to get agreement on what the ideal velocity curve should look like, your ideal stroke is an individual thing. Sort of like asking - how long should your backstroke pause be? Smoothness and consistency is what you should be going for. You have such a nice, tight pattern on your Impact Distribution, you're for sure doing something right.

Also, like you noted, a slow back stoke/long pause will make your forward stroke acceleration look very steep on the velocity chart.

If you get inadvertent, phantom shots recorded you can remove them from the session by deleting it on the Practice screen (trash can icon). This will keep your session averages accurate. You can also turn down the Shot Detect Sensitivity on the Settings screen to minimize any phantom shot recordings.

Thanks. Are you the developer?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received this device about 10 days ago. It is an amazing little device. It contains Bluetooth to the Ipad or your phone. It is different from the Digicue Blue in that it shows your stroke UP TO contact with the cue ball. I use both every morning. This one will show your stroke in side view, top view, roll of the tip, back view, tempo, and contact with the cue ball. Each session you can monitor any number of strokes and go back through each one. Then there are metrics that show the shots and it's average. Here is the website: http://www.cue-md.com/files/user_guide_qmd3.pdf

Please, if your not interested in any stroke devices please find another thread to post in. This thread is for pool players that want to get better and not worried about spending money to make it happen.

Go check out the "Shane Van Boening stroke thread".....

You may be able to sell Shane a Digicue and the QWERXCIS device so he can fix his stroke before it runs his game.