Looking to replace my 15yr Aramith Premiums

Slow_roll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15yrs of home use? If so why replace them other than just wanting something new?
I have two kids ages 12 & 9 and somehow we have lost two balls I've had to replace through eBay. My premiums still look good. The replacements not so much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Slow_roll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments guys. It will be tough to choose my next set.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

taprackgo

Registered
I believe this is the set I received with my diamond table (cyclops). They seem fairly poor to me - both cue balls have chips in them and a few object balls as well after about 6 months. I’ve never broke a rack with them either.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve read about cracks and chips in all brands.

Admittedly, the only experience I have with Cyclop balls is that I have one of their cue balls that I play with regularly and I’ve had no issues.

I view the cue ball as a wear item since it gets banged around the most and my Cyclop cue ball is holding up fine.

Sure all balls chip when they fly off the table and hit metal and concrete. Not sure if it’s the Landon balls but there’s plenty of stories of the Cyclop balls splitting. I’ve personally seen one but have never seen a Centennial or Aramith Pro split open.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just weighed them. 168 grams for most. Two of them weighed 167 and one weighed 169. Maybe the pool hall sets are just really worn out.
That's very good, an SD of 0.365. My Aramith Premier set has an SD of 0.583. (All units in grams.)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To confirm that being a fact rather than just your visual hunch, you’d half to have a 2 to 3 inch micrometer, and carefully measure all the balls in the set. Then get back to us with your findings. I have such an instrument and will conduct measurements on a new set of Brunswick centennials I have. I’ll post back with my results, but not today.
I think a better and quicker way would be to use a height gauge, either on the table, or on a surface plate. I am tempted to measure mine, now, since I have both.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my travels around the country I’ve never seen more undersized balls than Centennials. Way more than Super Aramith Pro. I don’t know why that is but the weird thing is it’s usually the 4 ball, then 2 or 6 as the next most common undersized ball.

I’ve never been convinced that the Centennial balls are the best.

That's really interesting. I evaluated a used set of Centennials, and found that they all weighed 167 grams except the four ball, which weighed 165. I wish now that I had measured their diameters.

Aren't Centennials made by Aramith? If so, to which ball in their line do they correspond?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older players favor Centennials (and green cloth) for the traditional aspect, which is the only real justification for the higher cost. Many years of machine polishing had worn mine down by about 3 thousands, so they no longer would rack tight, and they got dirty very quickly. I replaced with Duramith Tournament. The design is very close to the Centennial pattern. They stay cleaner, and play quite well, but I still use the ‘Red Circle’ cueballs (the Duramith black logo is distracting), that also stay just as clean.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This thread got me going. I just replaced my Centennials with the Aramith Tournament Pros, $350 on Amazon. These balls are like a work of art, fantastic!

Attachments

• aramith-tournament-set-pool-balls-with-duramith-large.jpg
    aramith-tournament-set-pool-balls-with-duramith-large.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 164

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread got me going. I just replaced my Centennials with the Aramith Tournament Pros, $350 on Amazon. These balls are like a work of art, fantastic!

They do play great, but do take a bit more work to move around. The collisions seem less bouncy than with other sets, like they are less elastic. I've told this before, but when a friend of mine bough those sets years ago when we would have regular partner gambling sets, no-one would gamble with us if he brought out those balls to use because they could not move the cueball as easily.

Not sure why companies keep messing with the designs, it's not like there is some demand from players that we all want the colors to change or make the numbers some cryptic designs. Never heard anyone say "gee, I'd love to go play pool or watch the pro players but those Pro Cup balls are just too ugly, I'm just going to stay home and smoke pot and play video games instead till they make a day-glo set with everything in neon."

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
They do play great, but do take a bit more work to move around. The collisions seem less bouncy than with other sets, like they are less elastic. I've told this before, but when a friend of mine bough those sets years ago when we would have regular partner gambling sets, no-one would gamble with us if he brought out those balls to use because they could not move the cueball as easily.

Not sure why companies keep messing with the designs, it's not like there is some demand from players that we all want the colors to change or make the numbers some cryptic designs.

I agree with that, especially if you're used to the red circle cue ball. That definitely moves around easier than the black logo Aramith that comes with this set.

Where I really notice the difference is on the break. These balls seem very hard compared to the Centennials. It actually takes something off the break in my opinion. I'm used to them now and really prefer them.

FJames

Registered
Aramith Premium Balls

Why not purchase a new set of Aramith Premiums ?
By the way, are you aware of any significant difference with Aramith Premier balls ?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned at least 8-9 sets of Centennial pool balls by Saluc since 2000.
Right now I have three sets of Centennials that include 2 unused new sets.

I have never had a problem with any set of Centennials in terms of finish,
durability or consistency of individual balls re: color, grams wt. or width
measured in mm or inches. In fact, the sets have had very tight specs.

The one thing you seldom hear over the past 5 to 6 decades has been
complaints, or even criticism, about the appearance or quality consistency
of Brunswick Centennial pool balls. They rank at the top of the quality scale.

Sure, someone somewhere sometime.....blah blah blah but bring a brand new
set of Centennial pool balls to the pool hall and just open the box to play and
you will see everyone admiring what you are playing with.....IMO, it’s the #1
set to own and play with. I can buy any brand I want & is why I own Centennials.