deadbeat customer

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a tournament last Thanksgiving. A fellow had called me some weeks earlier and said he wanted a cue that I had built refinished and signed. The earlier cues I built, I didnt sign. Anyway while I was at the tournament the guy told me he had the cue with him and would give it to me before the end. I explained to him that it would cost 125.00 plus 10.00 shipping for the job. He agreed and was happy it was so reasonable. Anyway when I got the cue back to the shop I stripped it resealed, signed and while I was at it I redid the shaft and put a new tip on it. Couple of weeks later it looked like new. I texted him via facebook messenger and he said he was out of work and couldnt pay for the cue and wanted for me to sell it and give him the difference. I told him in not in the resale business and would appreciate payment asap. After all he was in such a hurry to get his cue back. I tried and tried to get ahold of him but with no success. I see hes playing in some high end tournaments with big entry feels and Im sure calcutta's but this deadbeat wont even contact me. Im heading to the wammo tournament next weekend and Im sure he'll be there so I sent him another text. I have a fellow who will pay 140.00 for the cue on the table and I asked him again If he would square up. My wife tells me if I sell it he can sue me but my head tells me to get my money and run. Been making cue for over 25 years and though I had a few slow payers I never had anyone stiff me like this. Good thing is I have the cue. Whats your thoughts ? And thanks. Mark

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Send a text or email clearly stating that he is forfeiting the cue if he does not give you payment within 30 days. Without setting terms, he can go after you for selling it. Set terms for payment or forfeiture of his property, and you're clear in most cases.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'd wait and speak amicably to him in person if you can. If he wants you to sell it, then I'd try and sell it while waiting. I'm not sure what's going on with him personally, but selling the thing for 140.00 and leaving him nothing is pretty weak. It cost you some time and labor, but you're not out much in materials. Asking you to sell the cue is good faith in my opinion and in any case it looks like that is your only option at this point.

If you are worried about legalities, file a "mechanics" lien. There is statute of limitations, so check with your state law. Add the cost to the bill.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would make it clear that any sale by you will be solely to recover your costs. The expectation of giving him the difference sounds like a set-up leading to accusations of YOU owing HIM after selling the cue for less than he believes it is worth.

People are assholes sometimes.

JC

Coos Cues
I was at a tournament last Thanksgiving. A fellow had called me some weeks earlier and said he wanted a cue that I had built refinished and signed. The earlier cues I built, I didnt sign. Anyway while I was at the tournament the guy told me he had the cue with him and would give it to me before the end. I explained to him that it would cost 125.00 plus 10.00 shipping for the job. He agreed and was happy it was so reasonable. Anyway when I got the cue back to the shop I stripped it resealed, signed and while I was at it I redid the shaft and put a new tip on it. Couple of weeks later it looked like new. I texted him via facebook messenger and he said he was out of work and couldnt pay for the cue and wanted for me to sell it and give him the difference. I told him in not in the resale business and would appreciate payment asap. After all he was in such a hurry to get his cue back. I tried and tried to get ahold of him but with no success. I see hes playing in some high end tournaments with big entry feels and Im sure calcutta's but this deadbeat wont even contact me. Im heading to the wammo tournament next weekend and Im sure he'll be there so I sent him another text. I have a fellow who will pay 140.00 for the cue on the table and I asked him again If he would square up. My wife tells me if I sell it he can sue me but my head tells me to get my money and run. Been making cue for over 25 years and though I had a few slow payers I never had anyone stiff me like this. Good thing is I have the cue. Whats your thoughts ? And thanks. Mark

Just set it aside and get on with your life. Bring it with you to the places you think you may run in to him in the meanwhile If you don't hear from him in a year or so sell it. You are out a bit of your time and a tip so far. Put it in perspective man.

JC