Diamond versus Brunswick

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Brunswick tables as far as I know still have steel corners -- that can have real sharp edges to scratch your cue. The Diamonds have leather there -- nice and smooth.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
diamonds are what you will find at most tournaments
gold crowns are more "traditional"

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player who has only played on a Diamond a couple of times, I prefer the GC. Nothing against Diamonds, they are a great table, but having played on Gold Crowns and several other types of table, the Diamond rails bank short and react differently when a ball comes off the rail. Especially in a bank game, its almost like having to relearn how to bank. As someone said in another forum on another subject, things need to be uniform. On a GC, I can aim just like I always have. Not so on a Diamond.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player who has only played on a Diamond a couple of times, I prefer the GC. Nothing against Diamonds, they are a great table, but having played on Gold Crowns and several other types of table, the Diamond rails bank short and react differently when a ball comes off the rail. Especially in a bank game, its almost like having to relearn how to bank. As someone said in another forum on another subject, things need to be uniform. On a GC, I can aim just like I always have. Not so on a Diamond.
The "blue label" Diamonds, made since 2010, do not bank short. The older red labels for sure did.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play on Diamonds, switching to a GC is easy, going the other way, not so much. Diamonds are a bit more demanding IMO.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond will be 4.5" pockets as standard. GC, you would have to get the tournament table to be 4.5". Even then, the Diamond will play much tougher due to the deeper shelf.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond will be 4.5" pockets as standard. GC, you would have to get the tournament table to be 4.5". Even then, the Diamond will play much tougher due to the deeper shelf.
I agree. Once the "slick-n-easy" phase of new Simonis is worn-off a Diamond is a lot tougher than a GC. Balls that fall with ease on a GC just sit there and look at you on a Diamond.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hello,

What do you consider to be the better pool table the Diamond Pro Am or the Brunswick Gold Crown V ??

Advantages & disadvantages?

Thank you,

C&A :)

Anytime a mfg changes the subframe setup (GC design is the best) it causes huge stance problems with ''where do your legs go''?. If the table legs are nearer the corner pockets that's not gooder, and good er is not good here. The cost of replacing pockets on a GC is nominal, and the ''sounds'' of balls pocketing on a GC are MUCH BETTER/REAL. The metal pocket irons give ya a nice place to set your cue for a moment. The metal wrap around (commercial) edge on the GC lays waste to any light colored clothing. The GC pocket irons if not flush can catch clothing, and they do ''jack ya up'' when shooting outta the pocket area. The GC ball boxes and the GC ball counters build into the table design. All I can say is DUH. Diamond never got that one figured out. Diamond wood is beautiful. Diamond makes the best bar box table in the world. But the GC frame and table set up was not designed by a jeweler.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love playing on both.
That being said, Ya can't beat the "thwack" sound the object ball makes when struck center pocket on the Gold Crown.

I go with the Brunswick.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJYQXC_VyY&t=16s The wedge leveling system is pretty darn cool. No offense to our Asian members but i spend enough $$ on Chinese stuff at Walmart. I like the fact that these are all made in-house in the U.S. and not just farmed-out then assembled as in that "other" brand. IIRC the last American-built(not just assembled) GC was in 1976. Brunswick themselves told me that Yalin in China makes most of GC components these days. $11,000 for a off-shore table?? I'll pass.

Chalk & Awe

Registered

Hi, that was something I was hoping someone would comment. So, 4.5" pockets is the way to go on a contemporary pool table?

In addition, is the ball return to the front of the table preferred to pockets these days?

Thank you,

Last edited:

Chalk & Awe

Registered
Cool video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJYQXC_VyY&t=16s The wedge leveling system is pretty darn cool. No offense to our Asian members but i spend enough $$ on Chinese stuff at Walmart. I like the fact that these are all made in-house in the U.S. and not just farmed-out then assembled as in that "other" brand. IIRC the last American-built(not just assembled) GC was in 1976. Brunswick themselves told me that Yalin in China makes most of GC components these days. $11,000 for a off-shore table?? I'll pass.

Interesting...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, that was something I was hoping someone would comment. So, 4.5" pockets is the way to go on a contemporary pool table?

In addition, is the ball return to the front of the table preferred to pockets these days?

Thank you,

If you play a lot of one-pocket the drop pockets are better, imo. I get tired of bending down to get balls after a while. That's just me. Some love return tables. Pick your poison.

bmeek

Registered
The better table is the one you will see at your local pool hall. Regarding ball counters built into the rails, that to me is a detriment and ruins the aesthetics of an otherwise beautiful table.

Try the search function, this is just beating a dead horse.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys I know this has been discussed before, but who cares? Maybe opinions have changed or new people missed the old posts. If we didnt beat dead horses, we would have zero new posts.

My opinion to op. Both play great, brunswick is prettier, diamond are at every tournament. Diamond is a good bit cheaper and made in usa. Congratulations with either like picking a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Life is good either way.

Ian

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GC all the way for this dead horse. I don’t care if they are made on Mars. They play better, and I’d rather own and play on one.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll go with the gold crown as well. Especially the ones set up by Mark Gregory! Not a fan of the deep shelf on the Diamond to be perfectly honest...