A new low in "TV colors": a pink 4 and purple 5 ball

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So originally we were told that the 4 ball was too difficult to see on TV, meaning that the 4 ball needed to be pink. Fine. But now the orange 5 ball is apparently too difficult to see, so they made the 5 ball purple.

What?

Then there's the 9 ball with black coloring where the white used to be, which might be an even worse development.

Why?

Jy6qerE.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that chick from Matchroom keeps gushing about how great they are. Is she legally blind or what? These are worse than those skittles balls. What were they thinkin'?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that chick from Matchroom keeps gushing about how great they are. Is she legally blind or what? These are worse than those skittles balls. What were they thinkin'?

She works with Aramith, of course she should say that, she even admits "I'm biased, these balls are beautiful!"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I haven’t had to look at an actual number on a ball after playing rotation for 3 days when
I was 17....nobody but a rank beginner has had to for over 100 years....
...is this part of a world domination plan by Pinky’s best friend?

E70DAFE9-3192-498D-B2A3-66FB8DC80375.jpeg

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Damnit! I forgot that match was on tonight. I even chilled in my car watching a joe Rogan podcast while my daughter was in dance.

So they turned the purple 4 to pink...then later changed the orange 5 to purple?

I’m not against change, I never had any problem with the lime green 6 and tourney blue 7 but to make the 5 the purple is outrageous lol. If anything make the 5 pink and give the 4 her old color back. And that 9 looks gross :)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new low in "TV colors": a pink 4 and purple 5 ball

I think a purple 5 is just ill considered. 99%+ of pool balls used in America have a purple 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was never anything wrong with the original colors for the pool balls that was used for over 100 years! Then they started messing with them and began to make pool balls look like snooker balls. Have you listened to the accents on these telecasts. The Brits really put one over on the stupid Yanks again. :rotflmao1:

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was never anything wrong wit the original colors for the pool balls that was used for over 100 years! :

I agree.

I don't know why they changed the color of the cloth either.

The whole bullshit about blue being better for TV was a scam, too.

I've watched pool live and on TVs, including black and white ones, for decades and never had any problems with the original colors of balls or cloth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Now that I’ve thought it over....I think I’m going to place an order for those balls.
....but I’m going to place different values on the letters and numbers...
...if they can figure out my communication....well, hell, I’ll take them.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I agree.

I don't know why they changed the color of the cloth either.

The whole bullshit about blue being better for TV was a scam, too.

I've watched pool live and on TVs, including black and white ones, for decades and never had any problems with the original colors of balls or cloth.

Agree with everything said here, especially Green over Blue cloth. I do like the measle ball though.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
With the black instead of the white on the stripes set, this is what I can only think of

I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass here but I've heard many people complain about the Revo shaft because it's all black and nothing to site your line without a white ferrule. Now all the white on the balls are gone, wouldn't this create a similar problem for sighting?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So originally we were told that the 4 ball was too difficult to see on TV, meaning that the 4 ball needed to be pink. Fine. But now the orange 5 ball is apparently too difficult to see, so they made the 5 ball purple.

What?

Then there's the 9 ball with black coloring where the white used to be, which might be an even worse development.

Why?

Jy6qerE.png

Some British higher-ups hate the color orange. This has lead to the banning of orange In certain British companies from equipment to uniforms.
I’m assuming Matchroom is following suit with this design that they requested. According to the commentary in the first match, Ms. Frazier mentioned that the change was final and the players would have to step into modern times and adjust.

The Society of United Irishmen was formed by liberal Presbyterians and Anglicans in Belfast in 1791. It sought reform of the Irish Parliament, Catholic Emancipation and the repeal of the Penal Laws. By the time the Orange Order was formed, the United Irishmen had become a revolutionary group advocating an independent Irish republic that would "Unite Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

I always assumed this was why there is no orange ball in snooker.

With orange being a spectrum of light color, there is no physical/logical reason to eliminate it from the game of pool.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2017/may17.pdf

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to read the comments here in my opinion cause the consensus should be mostly the same. The logic behind the change does not make sense in my book, they state that it's for a change and blah blah blah but instead of a different shade (like done with cyclops) the Op to swap 2 colors. Now I don't see this being a case of getting a list of names and hope the change it, this is done and what it's going to be going forward. So instead of being able to see that red spot enjoy a black one one
ad: Up next in the news Black golf balls step aside, say hello to CLEAR golf balls.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some British higher-ups hate the color orange. This has lead to the banning of orange In certain British companies from equipment to uniforms.
I’m assuming Matchroom is following suit with this design that they requested. According to the commentary in the first match, Ms. Frazier mentioned that the change was final and the players would have to step into modern times and adjust.

The Society of United Irishmen was formed by liberal Presbyterians and Anglicans in Belfast in 1791. It sought reform of the Irish Parliament, Catholic Emancipation and the repeal of the Penal Laws. By the time the Orange Order was formed, the United Irishmen had become a revolutionary group advocating an independent Irish republic that would "Unite Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

I always assumed this was why there is no orange ball in snooker.

With orange being a spectrum of light color, there is no physical/logical reason to eliminate it from the game of pool.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2017/may17.pdf

I say we all go on Matchroom and Emily Frazier's Facebook page, and post random pictures of things with the color orange.