Black Crown 2 vs Diamond pool table

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7ft Diamond will set you back 10K AUS installed.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

goldball

Registered
Ive sent 2 emails to Paul Smith and 2 to Brian of Diamond, no reply yet.
Ill probably start a new thread, but which mechanic will find a used Gold Crown (or a comparable 9/10 foot table), bring it to life and ship to Australia? (if I end up going that route)

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ive sent 2 emails to Paul Smith and 2 to Brian of Diamond, no reply yet.
Ill probably start a new thread, but which mechanic will find a used Gold Crown (or a comparable 9/10 foot table), bring it to life and ship to Australia? (if I end up going that route)

I can get you a like new GC5, crated up for 4500. You pay shipping.

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Goldball - check out this thread if u haven't seen it before - might be handy info in ur research for pocket sizes / specs etc.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408&page=21

FYI - my table pocket specs are.
edited:
Mouth 4 10/16
Throat 3 13/16
Shelf 1 1/4
Corner pockets angle (facing angle) measures 142.17 degrees.

Would be interesting to know what ur mates H&S table pocket specs are. I'm guessing deep shelf & pocket angle greater than 145 degrees perhaps ? (u were saying his pockets don't readily accept hard shots up the rail)

Cheers.

Attachments

• spec.jpg
    spec.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real issue here is the Aussie Dollar Compared to US $. In August 2008 at it was 1.12 A $ to US. Last I looked it was like .77, or down about 1/3.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey Goldball - check out this thread if u haven't seen it before - might be handy info in ur research for pocket sizes / specs etc.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408&page=21

FYI - my table pocket specs are.

Mouth 4 11/16
Throat 3 13/16
Shelf 1 3/16
Corner pockets angle measures 143 degrees.

Would be interesting to know what ur mates H&S table pocket specs are. I'm guessing deep shelf & pocket angle greater than 145 degrees perhaps ? (u were saying his pockets don't readily accept hard shots up the rail)

Cheers.

143 miter angles are wide buddy, those are the kind of angles that kick most everything out of the pocket unless it's right down the middle.

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
143 miter angles are wide buddy, those are the kind of angles that kick most everything out of the pocket unless it's right down the middle.

Depends on the shelf depth maybe ? My shelf is pretty shallow compared to the average perhaps ?

I don't get any balls that rattle & spit if hit *straight* along the rail at speed. (maybe that's what u mean by 'down the middle' ?)

I measured the pocket angle with that plastic yellow gizmo. Not the easiest thing to read from memory / maybe not all that accurate ?
Oldschools cad program has my pockets at 141 degrees.

The mouth & throat measurements are much more accurate - if anyone wants to do the math the angle can be calculated from those ?
edit: I drew up the pocket dimensions and got out the scientific calculator - 142.5 degrees ?
edit2: Did another measure with the yellow gizmo and put my glasses on to read the scale - got 142 degrees 10 mins. = 142.17 degrees ?
Mouth measurement today was 4 5/8 (previous was 4 11/16)
Throat was 3 13/16.
Shelf 1 1/4

So yeah maybe 143 degree pockets are spitters - mine are closer to 142 and dont play tough or tend to spit & rattle ?

Last edited:

goldball

Registered
My friend sent his table measurements.
mouth size 12.2 cm/4.8 inches
throat size 8.2 cm/3.22 inches
shelf depth 5.4cm/2.12 inches

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mouth size 12.2 cm/4.8 inches
throat size 8.2 cm/3.22 inches
shelf depth 5.4cm/2.12 inches

Wow - mouth to throat reduction = 1.6 inches !

And that shelf is deeper than average.

If he measured the throat 2 inches back from the mouth (as per the pic) then his facing angle must be huge ??? (147 degrees by my calcs ?)

No wonder its a tough table to make pots along the rails !

Cheers.

Last edited:

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is 143 degrees really that tough / that unusual ?

From the website :
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/WPA_Tournament_Table_Equipment_Specifications

Horizontal Pocket Cut Angle: The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1).

I'm guessing the (+1) is supposed to mean (+ or - 1 degree) ?

ie. WPBA pocket angle spec is anywhere between 141 to 143 degrees ?

Cheers.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

From the website :

Horizontal Pocket Cut Angle: The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1).

Cheers.
The wider the pocket miter angle, the more it deflects the object ball across the pocket instead of deeper into the throat.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

From the website :

Cheers.

143* is crap.
139" should be the norm. Even if Glen doesn't agree. :D

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing all non-modified GC's & Diamonds have facing angles somewhere between 141 - 143 degrees then ?

Glen ?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i suspect no table as he wanted all of what he couldnt get at a steal of a price. he was offered a gc 5 for half its new cost and he said that was too much.

Brags

Banned
With the aussie dollar very weak compared to the US, getting a diamond pool table in Australia has become very expensive.
Im considering the Canadian made Black Crown 2 table (9 foot or 10), the one Mika Immonen uses for his dvds. Any thoughts on this table compared to Diamonds?
They are willing to make it to any pocket size/angles.
What are the important dimensions I should specify to them for both corners and side pockets?
I dont mind tight pockets, 4.5inch or less, but I dont want the angles or shelf depth to be incorrect so it rattles the balls or the pocket wont accept pots at speed.

Here's Mika on a black crown.
https://youtu.be/cMGzvK91wjg