My New ( ish ) Burton Spain cue!!!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
My new cue just arrived, a ( fill in the year cause I dunno ) GORGEOUS Burton Spain Plain Jane, Bird's Eye nose, black ( smooth ) leather wrap, black joint, faux MoP sleeve. And MAN is it pretty. Wow.

I know a bit about Mr. Spain but not tons. Anyone with info on him as either a blank-maker or cue-maker, PLEASE jump in. I want to know as much as I can. I Googled him but there's not all that much out there. Even if there was, I can always process more!

Fire away!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try contacting Mr. Joel Hercek, who is a gentleman and also very accommodating.
He reached out to me once, was incredibly gracious and I was amazed by his style.
Joel knows more about his mentor, Burton Spain, than anyone on this planet I imagine.

By the way, Joel, if you read this, I have not forgotten our discussion and maybe it’s time.
The finish line keeps getting closer & I’d sure like to greet it with “Ex Calibur” in my hands.
Joel can tell you pretty much anything you might want to know & then some about Burton.

Matt B.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
He reached out to me once, was incredibly gracious and I was amazed by his style.
Joel knows more about his mentor, Burton Spain, than anyone on this planet I imagine.

By the way, Joel, if you read this, I have not forgotten our discussion and maybe it’s time.
The finish line keeps getting closer & I’d sure like to greet it with “Ex Calibur” in my hands.
Joel can tell you pretty much anything you might want to know & then some about Burton.

Matt B.

Thank you, sir. Hopefully he'll see this and pm me.

Here's the cue. This is from the listing. I haven't taken any photos as yet.

d36t07b2b0325ae.jpg

Michael Andros

Silver Member

Matt B.

I emailed him but when I was on his site, I saw he has a tab, "Burton Spain" and I opened it. It has EVERYTHING you would want to know about him! PERFECT!!!

Thank you, sir. Moocho appreciated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new cue just arrived, a ( fill in the year cause I dunno ) GORGEOUS Burton Spain Plain Jane, Bird's Eye nose, black ( smooth ) leather wrap, black joint, faux MoP sleeve. And MAN is it pretty. Wow.

I know a bit about Mr. Spain but not tons. Anyone with info on him as either a blank-maker or cue-maker, PLEASE jump in. I want to know as much as I can. I Googled him but there's not all that much out there. Even if there was, I can always process more!

Fire away!
Talk about an idiot, when i was just starting out i got a little brochure from Burton. I though having the screw on the shaft was sign of a cheaper cue. Back then they weren't that expensive but i bought a JOSS from Dan instead. I still regret not buying a Spain.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Talk about an idiot, when i was just starting out i got a little brochure from Burton. I though having the screw on the shaft was sign of a cheaper cue. Back then they weren't that expensive but i bought a JOSS from Dan instead. I still regret not buying a Spain.

Well, you can still get one. It's just a *tad* more than it was back then!

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you can still get one. It's just a *tad* more than it was back then!

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
Don't get me started. I should have bought a Gina, a Spain and a Schick. My buddy bought two Schicks. He still has one and sold the other for uber-$$$.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for the Burton Spain admirers, let’s not overlook that Joel Hercek was handed the baton by Burton.
Their relationship is a story unto itself and Joel has become a heralded name in cue-making. Button’s
career was cut short and the pool world was cheated of seeing his workmanship continue. Fortunately,
Joel Hercek was closely tutored by Burton and has since produced some of the finest cues in the world.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I need a Spain Cue then. This was inked 15 years ago, when I joined.

Attachments

• DA1C0ACE-2543-469A-B91B-D03C1CB4DEC7.jpg
    DA1C0ACE-2543-469A-B91B-D03C1CB4DEC7.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 618

Michael Andros

Silver Member
And for the Burton Spain admirers, let’s not overlook that Joel Hercek was handed the baton by Burton.
Their relationship is a story unto itself and Joel has become a heralded name in cue-making. Button’s
career was cut short and the pool world was cheated of seeing his workmanship continue. Fortunately,
Joel Hercek was closely tutored by Burton and has since produced some of the finest cues in the world.

His cues are beautiful. Great craftsmanship.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you have great taste in cues michael.......:)
congratulations on your new addition to your cue family

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like you got yourself a nice cue there

I met Burton at a show one time and he seemed like a very sharp fellow
in several ways
I never got one of his cues but I have a Balabushka with his points

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Looks like you got yourself a nice cue there

I met Burton at a show one time and he seemed like a very sharp fellow
in several ways
I never got one of his cues but I have a Balabushka with his points

It's gorgeous, Dean. He did *good* work. I have never seen a cue, "in the flesh", with the pin in the shaft ( except the 5.00 K-Mart specials from back in the day ). I'm REALLY happy to have this cue. I wish I'd met him.