Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Whatís the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player?
Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
khessler
AzB Bronze Member
khessler is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

01-08-2020, 06:08 PM

BUZZO just started az billiards I'm 75 and always wondered if I could have taken lessons from the black gentleman who worked at Klein's when I was 19 or 20 years old

Old
  (#77)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2020, 06:52 PM

Many days/nights, for no explainable reason, my nerves aren’t right and I just simply can't seem to deliver my cue straight back and straight through consistently. Due to that, I’m capable of missing absolutely any given shot at any time, no matter how easy. I never experienced anything like that in my younger years. Very strange and frustrating.

It often takes me 2 or even 3 hours of playing before I start feeling any confidence in my stroke. My best tournament play generally occurs when I get knocked in the loser's bracket early, then manage to survive numerous matches in the 1-loss bracket, eventually finding my stroke and confidence.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 01-09-2020 at 06:43 AM. Reason: add

frustrated aging pool player
Old
  (#78)
chainsaw
Registered
chainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond reputechainsaw has a reputation beyond repute

frustrated aging pool player - 01-09-2020, 04:09 AM

WOW I beat stage 4 cancer twice. Hey and consider yourself lucky you made it into your 60's and enjoy every waking moment you have weather it is pool or anything else your doing in life. I look at it as thankful I can still experience the frustrations. Smile my friend count your blessings even when they don't go your way. Your still here and at least not pushing daisy's. Be thank full your above dirt.

Old
  (#79)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I know Iíve started threads on here before whining about my diminishing pool skills now in my 60s, but Iím hoping by the title of this thread that the responses might be slightly different this time around.

So I pose this question, what is more depressing and frustrating for an aging pool player who loves the game and hates seeing it dying out?

1) Having all the experience and knowledge acquired in nearly a lifetime (50 years) of playing pool, but no longer being able to execute the shots anywhere near the level of consistency that I used to have? Or

2) The complete absence of having any young players around to allow me the opportunity to pass on this knowledge and experience, in attempt to help them become better players sooner than they otherwise would, and certainly sooner than myself, considering I had no one around to look up to and teach me when I was young?

Yes, I know there are plenty of you out there, most likely under 60, who may feel that advancing years should be no excuse for diminishing pool skills. There is some concrete reason why there have been no major pool titles won anytime recently by players 50 years of age or older, just as in the case of golf, a very similar sport.

I claim that if Tom Watson had been able to make that 6 foot putt to par the 72nd hole of the British Open 10 years ago, just months shy of his 60th birthday, that would have easily been the most remarkable individual sports achievement in history. It would have given many of us the inspiration that anything is possible at our age!

It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for.

Old
  (#80)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 07:56 AM

I'd have to guess erectile dysfunction. I hear it's awful.

Old
  (#81)
Protractor
AzB Silver Member
Protractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond reputeProtractor has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Many days/nights, for no explainable reason, my nerves arenít right and I just simply can't seem to deliver my cue straight back and straight through consistently. Due to that, Iím capable of missing absolutely any given shot at any time, no matter how easy. I never experienced anything like that in my younger years. Very strange and frustrating.

It often takes me 2 or even 3 hours of playing before I start feeling any confidence in my stroke. My best tournament play generally occurs when I get knocked in the loser's bracket early, then manage to survive numerous matches in the 1-loss bracket, eventually finding my stroke and confidence.
I had the same problem, and I beat it.

The fact that you gain confidence in your stroke and start shooting better by fighting your way back up through the loser's bracket indicates that your issue is probably not due to physical impairment.

Instead of starting with the drill in the thread I linked to you might want to try one that Tor Lowry had in his 2 hour freebie on youtube - no longer available - but here is the drill on another site:

https://www.cuedrills.com/drills/str...-stroke-drill/

The key is to stay relaxed and focused and that is easier to do with this drill because there is no pressure of making a shot. In your case I would simplify it to just piling up the balls at one end of the table and just shooting the same shot over and over for a while.

After you gain confidence you can switch to the full drill but shoot a hundred or so shots first. If jumping to the full drill puts you in the ditch, revert to the simplified version, rinse and repeat. The idea is to achieve a mindlessness muscle memory stroke that you no longer have to think about.

Take your time, make sure your grip stays relaxed at all times, stay down until the ball goes in, make sure you don't change grip mid stroke when hitting the ball (that was part of my problem), make sure your arm is the only thing moving (no shoulder/upper body action!) and do extra warm up strokes at first.

It is a real good idea to standardize your pre shot routine and perform it with each and every shot.

My main issue was a circular problem where I had lost confidence in my stroke and so I was getting down on shots while wondering if it was going to work, which in turn was causing me to doubt my stroke and so on...

I have pretty much conquered that but I had to be, and still am, very tenacious about it. The only way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a good one.

"He's a great shotmaker, but he has to be. He's always shooting himself out of trouble." - from "Willie Mosconi on Pocket Billiards"

Old
  (#82)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-09-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
I'd have to guess erectile dysfunction. I hear it's awful.
Unless your married and your wife has ZERO libido. Then it's not so bad.

It's better than being able to get an erection and your wife has zero libido.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#83)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Many days/nights, for no explainable reason, my nerves arenít right and I just simply can't seem to deliver my cue straight back and straight through consistently. Due to that, Iím capable of missing absolutely any given shot at any time, no matter how easy.
Protractor says this happened to him. He said he beat it.

Protractor obviously has never had problems with rising/lowering of blood sugar levels, which is why I sometimes have the same issues as you. When it happens...ain't no fixin' it. Not immediately anyway.

Maniac

Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue

Old
  (#84)
Maniac
2manyQ's

01-09-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
WOW I beat stage 4 cancer twice. Hey and consider yourself lucky you made it into your 60's and enjoy every waking moment you have weather it is pool or anything else your doing in life. I look at it as thankful I can still experience the frustrations. Smile my friend count your blessings even when they don't go your way. Your still here and at least not pushing daisy's. Be thank full your above dirt.
Great post. This is how I feel about life. Every day is a blessing.

Then again....I don't take pool as serious as a lot of people on this forum do. For some, it seems an obsession that they MUST shoot excellent pool for life to be worthwhile. Me....I just enjoy it whether I'm shooting my best or not. Pool is not high on my list of priorities.

Maniac

Old
  (#85)
scsuxci
AzB Silver Member
scsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Probably sharking myself, that everytime i stroke the ball i can hear the velcro on my diaper unhinging making quite a racket , which throws my focus for a loop😂

Old
  (#86)
Maniac
2manyQ's

01-09-2020, 09:34 AM

FTR, here is a list of my current health issues/medications:

Atrial Fibrillation (treated daily with prescription medications)

Thickened and enlarged heart (treated daily with prescription medications)

Diabetes Type 2 (treated daily with a prescription medication)

High cholesterol (treated daily with a prescription medication)

Enlarged prostate (treated daily with a prescription medication)

Poor eyesight/Glaucoma (wearing glasses with progressive lenses)

Shoulder injuries (two surgeries with one of them causing a 15% range-of-motion loss in my right shoulder)

Neck/vertebrae (although not medically diagnosed, I had a work-related injury back in 1988 that has caused my neck to deteriorate over the years, and coupled with my right shoulder injury, not allowing me to crane my neck up adequately to get a good look down my cue)

I'm on eight prescription medications. After suffering a mild heart attack several years ago I am thankful to be alive. One of my medications causes poor hindsight, while another causes periodic dizziness.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that these health issues/medications have caused my pool abilities to deteriorate somewhat, and probably will worsen as the years go by.

That said....it's all good and I'm just happy to be alive and to spend time with my family and friends.

Maniac

Old
  (#87)
Maniac
2manyQ's

01-09-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsuxci View Post
Probably sharking myself, that everytime i stroke the ball i can hear the velcro on my diaper unhinging making quite a racket , which throws my focus for a loop😂
Use Depends. They're slip-on.

I only know this because I was a caregiver for my dad during the last year of his life.

Maniac (seriously, not there.... yet)

Old
  (#88)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Maniac, that sounds like my medical record. Except I've walked away from two heart attacks. But I still ride motorcycles too fast and shoot pool, well poorly. Having a great time doing both.

Old
  (#89)
river83466
AzB Bronze Member
river83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond reputeriver83466 has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 11:33 AM

This is a very good thread and appropriate to me at 73. Diminishing skills defines my play the last several years. I do play on a senior league, 60 or older to play, and that makes it easier. We're all going downhill. It's frustrating to not play as well as I used to, but I keep playing. What's the alternative? You can't just quit. I'll never enjoy losing but I can always enjoy the game. I think the only remedy is practice and I enjoy that also.

Old
  (#90)
Maniac
2manyQ's

01-09-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
Maniac, that sounds like my medical record. Except I've walked away from two heart attacks. But I still ride motorcycles too fast and shoot pool, well poorly. Having a great time doing both.
I still have and ride my motorcycle, have a bass boat and love to fish, enjoy our ATV's down at the hunting cabin on our private acreage. I also target shoot, reload, and gunsmith.

So you can see why pool is not a do-or-die endeavor.

Stay well, my friend!

Maniac

Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: