How I broke through my toughest plateau

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At that tournament this weekend I observed a common thread in how players view their performances. In my own matches I often felt like I was playing poorly, only to have others tell me I didn't play bad just made a few mistakes. Then I watched a few matches and afterwards the players told me they were playing so terrible, but from my perspective it didn't look like they were playing bad just making a few errors here and there but overall pretty solid.

There are so many layers of mental toughness, especially when the data coming into your brain is often being evaluated with distorted perception.
Most of the time, you'll think that you play bad because those few mistakes seem to be determining of the outcome of the set. "If only I hadn't made that mistake, I probably would have won." An objective onlooker would have seen that that particular mistake was not more important to the outcome of the set as several other things that happened.

Also, as a general and obvious rule: stuff that happens to you is of course far more impressive than stuff that you see happening to someone else.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
distorted thinking

I was at a tournament this weekend and I showed my traveling buddy some of your recent posts on AZ. In particular we ended up discussing emotional management as well as your previous posts on getting equity from being a slight underdog, improving consistency and the nugget of advice you gave on drawing back 4-6 inches using a ghost ball stop shot. Thanks again for taking the time to post this instructional material.

What you write here about budgeting for what will happen when you are dogging it and having a plan reminds me of how on top of visualizing moments of how to win under pressure you also have to visualize and plan for moments when you are dogging it too.

At that tournament this weekend I observed a common thread in how players view their performances. In my own matches I often felt like I was playing poorly, only to have others tell me I didn't play bad just made a few mistakes. Then I watched a few matches and afterwards the players told me they were playing so terrible, but from my perspective it didn't look like they were playing bad just making a few errors here and there but overall pretty solid.

There are so many layers of mental toughness, especially when the data coming into your brain is often being evaluated with distorted perception.

Thank you uwate. You are spot on about distorted thinking. During a match you experience a lot of strong emotions, and those emotions generate a lot of extreme thoughts. Not only do we think our average performances are terrible, we also tend to exaggerate our performances at times. How often do we hear about someone that 'played perfect and never missed a ball'? Funny how we don't see that ,more than once a year even among pro highlight reels.

Unfortunately these thoughts impact our performance. When the thoughts are despairing it dismantles our performance in every way. We shoot without confidence and use poor shot selection almost ensuring we reproduce the negative results we expect. And thinking distorted positive thoughts aren't much better. They create a tremendous pressure by creating false expectations that create fear of exposure.

Being aware of this opens the possibility of managing it. While my brain still generates extreme thoughts and emotions I don't take them too seriously or give them total run of the show. When I find myself starting to be impacted I implement some safeguards. I know from experience when I'm likely to start making poor efforts or decisions. For example, in one pocket I am most vulnerable when I am way behind on ball count, or when I had my opponent in a dead trap and they did something stupid and almost sold out but got really lucky and got away with it. In the first case I feel hopeless and desperate, in the second case I feel entitled and frustrated. But I have been here before and have devised ways of handling this.

For example, if I'm feeling desperate I may add a question in my pre-shot routine: "If I try this and it doesn't work and I sell out the game, will I feel like an idiot walking back to the chair?" If the answer is 'yes' I look for something else. This is a technique that has been responsible for some memorable wins. As for them getting lucky, I've learned I often try to force something because I feel I deserve to be running balls. Through painful mistakes I've learned to do something really, really simple after a horrible roll and not give myself the opportunity to spew. Even if I give up a little equity on the shot selection it's important that I don't compound the problem at that moment.

In the end if you can have an outlook that minimizes extreme emotions and thoughts, and a plan in place to manage those you have, you'll do well. You won't 'play perfect sets' as often, but you'll be just fine. ;)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for another great post Tin Man.

While your post is full of a lot of great information, I've been considering writing the opposite post for a while -- Accepting your lifelong B Player status. As a player, I'm sort of in this limbo state where my solitary table time always comes with a choice -- work on my weaknesses, or actually have fun just playing the game. More and more, I just want to play and I imagine for most as they get older, they just want to enjoy hitting some balls.

The funny thing about the rich benefactor magically appearing into our lives is -- almost none of us would change our actual practice habits! Sure, we would buy our dream table and fly around the country to play more tourneys, but when the dust settled, we would still just do what we do.

At this point, it just seems like pool is so binary. You can either devout yourself totally to improving OR you just have to have fun with the game. Trying to get better in nightly 30 minute increments just doesn't work. Or at least not for this guy!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed!

While your post is full of a lot of great information, I've been considering writing the opposite post for a while -- Accepting your lifelong B Player status. As a player, I'm sort of in this limbo state where my solitary table time always comes with a choice -- work on my weaknesses, or actually have fun just playing the game. More and more, I just want to play and I imagine for most as they get older, they just want to enjoy hitting some balls.

The funny thing about the rich benefactor magically appearing into our lives is -- almost none of us would change our actual practice habits! Sure, we would buy our dream table and fly around the country to play more tourneys, but when the dust settled, we would still just do what we do.

At this point, it just seems like pool is so binary. You can either devout yourself totally to improving OR you just have to have fun with the game. Trying to get better in nightly 30 minute increments just doesn't work. Or at least not for this guy!

Thank you for writing this!

We're actually not as polarized as you think. There are two different questions: 1) Are we pushing to improve, and 2) Are we enjoying the game each time we play?

You are discussing people that don't have the opportunity to improve for any number of reasons, and how it is important they find joy in the game even when the dream of future achievements diminish. Yes! Correct! But the same way, people that are working on improving are in just as much danger of losing enjoyment of the game, because they are conditioned to think they need to wait for until they are better to find joy. In reality there is nothing ahead that is different than what is in the present, so if we don't learn to love each session then it's going to be a sad journey.

To your point, if there's one thing I try to share with lower level players is while they may not be as technically skilled as a professional, they have the exact same opportunity to enjoy the game. If you've ever played where you've really wanted to win, you've been nervous, and routine run outs started looking like a series of trick shots, but you've gone on to rise to the occasion and got the job done...well, this is as pure as pool gets. Your dead stroke is just as rich as SVB's dead stroke. He may run more balls or racks, but the state of mind is available to all of us and it is just as meaningful. So there is no reason to ever deny yourself the joy of this game because you don't feel you deserve it or thinking you're missing out on something further down the line. There is zero reason your session today can't be the best of your life.

I think this is so, so important that I might want to make this my first discussion I include on the next podcast. Why do players beat themselves and deny themselves joy? It may provide motivation for them to get to higher levels of play, but what's the point if you never enjoy yourself at any point? Is this strategy really sound? Where do we learn it? Does it result in higher levels of play that reward this self abuser in the long run? Are there alternatives that allow for both motivation and enjoyment? How do you begin to change your mindset?

Thanks for the positive replies and comments. I've got a lot of strong views on this because I was the worst and sentenced myself to Hell for 5 years until someone I trusted forced me to look into the mirror. Since then I've had more success and joy. So this is very close to home to me. But to your original post, improvement is not a requirement to enjoy what you do. It can lead to rewarding experiences and I believe it's important to do our best with what we're given, but if our resources take improvement off the table it takes a truly wise person to accept the loss of a dream and still celebrate the experiences there for the taking. In many ways the true heroes of our games are not just SVB and Filler, but the person who's game is slipping and instead of despairing about the talent lost they focus on and celebrate the shared table time with a friend and that sublime state of mind available to all of us.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a lot of strong views on this because I was the worst and sentenced myself to Hell for 5 years until someone I trusted forced me to look into the mirror. Since then I've had more success and joy. So this is very close to home to me. But to your original post, improvement is not a requirement to enjoy what you do. It can lead to rewarding experiences and I believe it's important to do our best with what we're given, but if our resources take improvement off the table it takes a truly wise person to accept the loss of a dream and still celebrate the experiences there for the taking. In many ways the true heroes of our games are not just SVB and Filler, but the person who's game is slipping and instead of despairing about the talent lost they focus on and celebrate the shared table time with a friend and that sublime state of mind available to all of us.

^^^^^^^^ was a response to BasementDweller's comment, not mine.

TinMan, your post above is extremely up close and personal to a vast majority of us that have reached a certain age, have health issues or as we discussed earlier, have responsibilities that keep our pool to nothing more than weekend warriors at the table for only an hour or so a week that is spent with a family member or an old friend.

Like lots and lots of people I know and have known, your knowledge is beyond your years sir.

Enjoying the read.

Jeff

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not the years, it’s the mileage

^^^^^^^^ was a response to BasementDweller's comment, not mine.

TinMan, your post above is extremely up close and personal to a vast majority of us that have reached a certain age, have health issues or as we discussed earlier, have responsibilities that keep our pool to nothing more than weekend warriors at the table for only an hour or so a week that is spent with a family member or an old friend.

Like lots and lots of people I know and have known, your knowledge is beyond your years sir.

Enjoying the read.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. In all fairness if we measure not with years of age but rather how much self inflicted pain it takes before we try a new approach I may actually have been a pretty slow learner. But even though it’s obvious to those who understand this, that’s not where most of us start and there are many still going through the vicious circles of perpetual disappointment and self abuse when they play. And it’s so important it almost trumps everything else on the forums because no pool game is worth that price. I think I’ll reflect and share a bit more about my back story, what changed my course, and how that played out. I’ll let you know when that time comes. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the time you have.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I too think your post is spot on. I believe it's true for far more people than some may think.

In my experience, most people that truly love pool that also have a very limited amount of time/energy are as you said, "stuck".

I've known a few people that certainly had the potential to be a professional player but, circumstances didn't afford them the chance without risking things FAR more important than their love for pool regardless of their talent.

Having said that, I've never, not even once heard even one of those individuals say they regret the path they chose.

On the other hand, lol.....I've heard a few older pros and even a couple younger pros say "I wish I had chose a different career while I had the chance".

Good post sir!

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Jeff. In all fairness if we measure not with years of age but rather how much self inflicted pain it takes before we try a new approach I may actually have been a pretty slow learner. But even though it’s obvious to those who understand this, that’s not where most of us start and there are many still going through the vicious circles of perpetual disappointment and self abuse when they play. And it’s so important it almost trumps everything else on the forums because no pool game is worth that price. I think I’ll reflect and share a bit more about my back story, what changed my course, and how that played out. I’ll let you know when that time comes. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the time you have. ��

Like most everyone on AZB, I'll be looking forward to reading your backstory.

Thanks for taking the time to share your personal experiences and thoughts.

Jeff

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a nice read, also reminds me that having a goal and a plan is ultimately the best path of achieving that goal. Thanks for the post, I truly enjoyed it.

khessler

A few years ago I was facing a heartbreaking fact. I was as good at pool as I was ever going to get.

I had done my best and given everything I could. I had come a long ways and achieved a lot, but I hadn't seen any improvement in a few years and the game seemed to be getting harder, not easier. It didn't even feel like I was trying to improve anymore, it felt like I was grasping to duplicate prior performances that were achieved when I was younger, fresher, and bubbling with enthusiasm.

How could I get better? I had a family, a job, and no time or money to travel around and play pro tournaments or big gambling matches which seemed the way all the other players got there. No, it was the end of the road. I would either have to quit pool and move on to another chapter in my life, or resign myself to being a big fish in a small pond and just playing the same weekly tournaments again and again, winning against local players until the new generation passed me by and I sat silently on the sidelines with self loathing for abandoning my commitment to personal development.

Yes, I was in full on victim mode. Circumstances were what was stopping me from getting better. If only I could have the same opportunity as the full time players. If only I was more talented. If only I lived in a pool community with more top talent and pool action.

One day, and I still remember it clearly, I was at work and a question popped into my head. Suppose a rich old man who loved pool and took interest in my potential as a pool player made me a ridiculous offer. Suppose he told me he wanted to see what I was capable of as a pool player if I had unlimited resources. So he would pay me the same salary I was earning from my job, and any necessary expenses, to do whatever I needed to in order to become the best possible pool player I could be. And he would pay me this salary and fund my pursuit for two years. Then at the end of the two years, if I showed enough improvement, he'd bankroll me permanently into tournaments and help me make a run at the title. Suppose all of that happened and I could pursue pool without restraint. What would I do during those two years to take advantage of that opportunity?

It was an odd hypothetical question I posed to myself, but once I did it wasn't hard to start coming up with answers. I was amazed at how the ideas started to pour out of me:

-I would travel to at least one pro pool tournaments a month and test myself against the best
-I would get into gambling matches with strong players to build experience
-I would structure and organize my practice and be more formal about what I was doing and the progress I was making
-I would video record myself and break down every piece of my game and methodically build it stronger than ever
-I would watch more tape of top pros and study their every move, recreating some of their shots and techniques on my home table
-I would get a coach to help me plan my journey and hold me accountable
-I would work with a sports psychologist
-I would go to the gym and get into better physical shape
-I would practice my break with the break-rak an hour a day
-I would have written goals and review them daily
-I would journal about my matches and journey and reflect daily on my progress
-I would put together a more formal tournament schedule and strategize how to best use my time

See, a funny thing happened. I had been inactive because of my excuses for a while and had encountered a block that prevented me from seeing a path forward. But when I imagined a situation in which my excuses were removed it wasn't hard to see what that path might look like. And it was easy to brainstorm when I knew this was all fictional and I wouldn't actually have to act on any of this (because hey, I had my excuses).

But then the reality stared me in the face. The reality was this: That rich old man does not exist, and no one was going to walk through the door to pave the way for me. No, sir. Which leaves exactly one question. Am I going to give up, or do I just go ahead and do those things anyway?

If you know me you know my answer. It was game on. Of course the reality was still true that I had valid limitations on my resources. I couldn't do all of those things with full time capacity. But that didn't mean I had to do nothing. I'd do what I could. Period.

So I did something I learned from my corporate job when it comes to prioritizing operational changes. I added columns next to those items and rated them as follows: How much time would this item take? How much mental energy? How much money? And what type of lift do I think that would give to my pool game? Things that took a lot of time and money and wouldn't necessarily provide immediate results moved to lower priorities, and things that didn't take much time or money and showed a bigger return moved to the top as they had a better return on investment.

Then I took one long, deep breath, and I started.

The next year was one of the most incredible I've had in terms of pool progress. I was drilling, practicing my break, working out, and on down the list. While I didn't do all of these things to the full extent of my original vision, it was downright spooky how many of these things I was able to do in compared with the nothing I'd been doing when I had felt stuck before. Suddenly things started happening in my pool game. Shots that would've stopped me before started going in more frequently, and soon dependably. I found myself more motivated with the reawakened enthusiasm that had been lost before and I was playing better and better.

It didn't happen overnight, the progress wasn't linear, and there were setbacks when I'd lose steam as the other parts of my life would overwhelm me and knock me off the path like a tidal wave. But when this happened I'd pick myself up, dust myself off, and start going again like an ant.

Fast forward a few years and I'm playing the best pool of my life. I've had experiences in the last few years beyond anything I thought I could that day at work I'd thought I'd reached my limits. And the best part is I can still tell I'm improving and have more ideas on how I can make 2020 the best year of my pool career.

We all have different goals with pool, we are all at different levels and ages, and we all have different responsibilities and opportunities. For some people playing socially is fine, others are satisfied with their current level, and some just like to talk theory about the game and bang around some balls with a pal once in a while. There is room for everyone and I understand that. If you're getting what you want from the game then keep on keepin' on.

But. If there is a part of you that once dreamed of playing a high level that's been locked up inside of you for years, causing you pangs of grief every time you hear it cry out over the noise of your day to day life, just know this: The barrier that is blocking you from moving forward- it doesn't exist. There are things that can slow you down and may prevent you from keeping up with others who have more to put in, that much is true. But the biggest barrier is the one we build ourselves. And when we knock that down, while we can't achieve anything, we can achieve our personal best. And for me that is the only goal that means anything, and to me it means everything.
I've often believed if I practiced an average 2 hrs a day I could only get to my a - a+ game. I also believe that we are able to get to a certain point of expertise, no better . Shane and Efrin have a natural talent paired with the ability to practice long hours

8 ball is the gateway drug 14-1