Corey Deuel plays Russian pyramid (with commentary)!

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Cool! Thanks for the link! Great explanation of the rules. Corey did pretty dang good.

-td

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Russian pool table in the pool hall in Key West. I it took me an hour to pocket all 15 balls. The pockets are just a little wider than the ball. Very frustrating table. Big Balls, Big Table, Big Sticks and small pockets.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool. Love carom games, but playing a carom on pockets that small looks amazingly difficult.

Good for Corey to give that game a try.

Very slow game, it has no future! fast games are the way to go for TV and non-pool players to watch, call me crazy but I think 7ball would resurrect pool into the TV scene and bring money to the game, I know no one will try that, but that's what I think.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really good content. Are there any classic matches that are famous in the pyramid community? Who are the best pyramid players in the world?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the two balls to a rail rule for a legal safety. That could make the American pool games a lot more interesting.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found original video from Kremlin cup 2019 and decided to add some commentary. A very rare occasion where top pool player tries some new cue game. So, let's see how it went and if these pockets are really too tight for a pro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne7WEH7Sxis

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Happen to know where Corey finished? Anybody else notice the way Corey quit trying to pocket balls and started scratching the cue? Didn’t take him long to catch on.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Key West Russian Table

932BDB0B-A24E-45E2-9882-C658D7BAA193.jpeg

706F6F55-5387-4A1A-9D34-4BBA4DDE0AA2.jpeg

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That corner pocket pic illustrates why the OP was talking about shooting hard. Get the ball past the point, and it goes.

rrrrr

Registered
This is really good content. Are there any classic matches that are famous in the pyramid community? Who are the best pyramid players in the world?

Like pool community has Strickland-Reyes matches - so does pyramid community with Stalev-Palamar back from 2000 I guess. There are numerous interesting matches between these two. I'm planning to post one of these with commentary next week.

There are "old legends" who don't play that much these days: Stalev, Palamar, Sagyndykov, Paschinsky, Sagynbaev, Luppova.

And there are younger playres (many of them became champions in their teens) - Kryzhanovsky, Mironova, Nagula, Belozerov, Abramov, Lepshakov, Skoda.

Numerous other very strong players from both epochs who are a bit less known.

rrrrr

Registered
Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Happen to know where Corey finished? Anybody else notice the way Corey quit trying to pocket balls and started scratching the cue? Didn’t take him long to catch on.

He played 3 matches total, won this one, but lost others 4:1 to a mid level players.

I think they don't award particular rank except for those who got to the finals so in the end listing he was just in lower group who ranked 120-200 (of about 200 total participants).

Of his 3 opponents one end in the same lower ranked group, 2 other made it to the next 60-120 group.

Also Max Eberle played 2 games on this tournament - lost both 4:1.

No data available for 2018, but there is a note that Deuel also played pyramid during the Kremlin cup 2016. But only single match - lost 5:2. Seems rules where different back then and it was single elimination.

Regarding his caroms - yeah, seems he quickly got used to it and pocketed numerous at least medium difficulty shots later in the match. I'm sure if he had a week for practice he would have made it to top 30.

rrrrr

Registered
I wonder what the longest 14.1 run on a Russian Pyramid table would be?

2-5 !?!

14.1 is called Long pyramid or Pyramid with continuation or something like that. It is usually played using Free pyramid rules - any ball can be used as a cue ball, so it offers far more options on every shot.

Actually in pyramid players usually count longest runs across multiple innings until the first miss. So if you break, runout, then opponent breaks, misses, you take turn and runout - they says it was 16 ball run, so these numbers apply both to Long pyramid and Free pyramid (which are standard frames to 8 pocketed balls).

And for top players the average run in Free pyramid is about 5. There are numerous 20-30 ball runs.

Yes, you heard it right! They play to 5 frames and manage to break and run in 4 of them even with pockets like these. This is what "any ball as a cue ball" rules allows you to do. Really fascinating!

rrrrr

Registered
That corner pocket pic illustrates why the OP was talking about shooting hard. Get the ball past the point, and it goes.

Exactly! The slate depth is very important here.

There was a hall in Moscow where slate went so deep that no matter what you tried - the ball always got stuck in it (unless the entry angle was ideal). So it always took 2 shots to pocket anything :)

After many players complained they sawed off it a bit and the tables became playable again!

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh, way too hard to play and boring to watch top level players miss shot after shot. Not for me.