Lindenwood U. pool program shutting down

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sad news in a long article in this month's Billiards Digest.

Lindenwood University has decided to shut down Mark Wilson's billiard training program there. This is really hard to understand considering how successful the program was -- six straight national titles in both men's and women's divisions.

Lindenwood declined to comment for the article.

It appears from comments made in the article that the school was not seeing enough financial return from the program. The scholarships that the top players got evidently were only about 10% of the annual fees of about $30,000.

This seems to have been a while coming as the funding for the program had already been considerably reduced.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some kind of education being vital to success in life, this is sad news indeed
obviously 'chips weren't good enough
but the good news is, they left a legacy for the rest of us to admire, and be inspired by
and those who participated can take their experience with them
and at least they'll have the opportunity to be better for it
and if we're lucky, pass that on

this is probably also a good time to shout mark wilson out
my ears always perk up when I hear him calling a match
and obviously, he's to be commended for much more

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
God forbid one of the mega millionaires on this site that has to have the stick with the most gold and ivory help out, or everyone's savior Joe Rogan pay to keep that program open.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m very sad to here this.
$30,000 seems like such a small amount of money to run a world class training facility
A lost opportunity for pool.
What did we do wrong? Why no support?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
God forbid one of the mega millionaires on this site that has to have the stick with the most gold and ivory help out, or everyone's savior Joe Rogan pay to keep that program open.

Their reaction:

giphy.gif

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They just need a good football/ basketball team to
fill some seats and subsidize the arts!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m very sad to here this.
$30,000 seems like such a small amount of money to run a world class training facility
A lost opportunity for pool.
What did we do wrong? Why no support?

I imagine they weren’t thinking expenses but rather on the value being generated. They probably thought that building space was being utilized by .01% of their student body when it could be suited for any other purpose and be much more valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The school will lose more by ending the program. Most if not all of the students in the program will switch to less expensive schools. The people in the program were paying most of the tuition. They only received partial scholarships. In addition they were required to live on campus. This generated money for housing and food services.
Instead of receiving most of the money the school will receive none of the money.
There are no expenses for the school. Mark Wilson either was able to get equipment donated or he supplied stuff himself.
Very short sighted.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear. Mark Wilson has been a great visionary in our sport and it's a shame to see this particular dream of his fall short.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The school, which has about 10,000 students, has been laying off staff for a few years now.

I spoke to Mark at the DCC this year and he knew it was coming. It was a good program but then pool is an easy target when it comes to budget cuts.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I imagine they weren’t thinking expenses but rather on the value being generated. They probably thought that building space was being utilized by .01% of their student body when it could be suited for any other purpose and be much more valuable. ...
There were four tables in what was previously a football locker room. I think the article said that pool will continue as a club sport, so I imagine the space will remain about the same. Of course, if no one is in the area to watch how the equipment is treated, I don't think it's going to remain in playable condition for long.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they prohibited from direct sponsorship by Charter or college sports rule?

What an amazing opportunity for a distributor or manufacturer. Dominant force...young people dressed nicely? The photos would sell the shit out of anything.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Must be a liberal with that mentality of telling people what to do with their money. How much have you donated to the program to help again?

Oh yeah I thought so...

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be a liberal with that mentality of telling people what to do with their money. How much have you donated to the program to help again?

Oh yeah I thought so...

what an insightful genius!!!

PS-He didnt tell anyone to do anything-He just pondered. I'm telling you politics shouldn't be forced into here in the pool section. Keep them in NPR.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in Columbia MO. Home of the University of Missouri and two smaller colleges. The state isn't able to send the normal amount of tax money to support the schools because of the shutdowns.

My son who works in private industry has been furloughed. His wife who works at the university is facing a furlough and she is pregnant with their first child and they just bought a house and a new car last year. Total deaths in the entire county from the covid = 2.

You can thank the politicians who overreacted and destroyed the economy.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s really a shame
I went to visit Mark for a few days and worked out at that room at the University
Got to meet the kids and play some with them
Refreshing to see wholesome bunch of kids interested in pool and getting a good education
A real shame it’s being taken away

camaro69926

Registered
My son was super bummed when he heard this news. He is 13 and all he wanted to do was play for Mark Wilson at Lindenwood. Mark sent him a Lindenwood jersey and my son loves that jersey and would wear it at tournaments.