Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Pool ball collecting.
Page 117 of 117 « First 1767107115116117

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old
  (#1741)
Dan_B
AzB Gold Member
Dan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 455

06-21-2020, 07:58 PM

man, I don't know what to do,
was leaning for a set of cyclops TV ones packaged with the 2 cue balls,
then the ones with the big numbered 8, 9, 10 set,
then the black and now these dyna platinum with the pac-man ghost like image,
I like all of them, which one first...

Old
  (#1742)
mrpoopytime
Registered
mrpoopytime is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

06-23-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
man, I don't know what to do,
was leaning for a set of cyclops TV ones packaged with the 2 cue balls,
then the ones with the big numbered 8, 9, 10 set,
then the black and now these dyna platinum with the pac-man ghost like image,
I like all of them, which one first...
hasn't cyclop gone out of business? might want to get those while you still can if true.

Old
  (#1743)
gdc25
I call 'em like I see 'em
gdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond reputegdc25 has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2020, 02:51 PM

I received my Tungsten Dynaspheres in yesterday, Running a few racks between work obligations this evening. So far.... impressed.

Player: Schön STL9
Retired but still my Fav.: Schön SP-10eb
Break: Converted Brunswick Tru-Balance (one of my grandfathers cues)

<-- Photo is of my Grandfather and myself playing on his table while using one of the several cues in my collection of "Grandpa's pool stuff." All of which are now in my posession.

Old
  (#1744)
mrpoopytime
Registered

06-23-2020, 06:46 PM

I'm glad everyone is enjoying those Dynasphere Tungstens and that I didn't steer you wrong.

But back to the gumballs and cleaning. I was wondering if anyone has noticed dark speckles on the yellow-green ball? I suspect this is some mold/mildew, as the box I received was moderately covered in mold/mildew. I tried the Aramith cleaner and even a little of the restorer but haven't had any luck removing these speckles. I'm thinking about a soak in vinegar, but I'm worried that it could damage the ball. Any thoughts on this?
Attached Images

Old
  (#1745)
Dan_B
AzB Gold Member
Dan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoopytime View Post
hasn't cyclop gone out of business? might want to get those while you still can if true.
That's what I thought also back some time ago, website is hibernating,
then seen something that there down because of the pandemic,
but it seemed like they were out, down long ago before this virus hit.
I'm back at, better get those first.

I don't like those spots on that yellow ball, those are the $75 set?

Old
  (#1746)
mrpoopytime
Registered

06-23-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
I don't like those spots on that yellow ball, those are the $75 set?
I got my set of gumballs from an independent auction house, not the seller on ebay with the multiple sets. Although after talking with the auctioneer, I suspect mine originally came from the same batch as those selling on ebay. As I mentioned, the box that came with mine had quite a bit of mold/mildew on it and I assume that's what I'm seeing here, but the other balls in the set look fine.

I'm hoping that this is an issue limited to my set, but I do wonder why some aren't being sold with a box. Could those also have seen mold/mildew issues?

Old
  (#1747)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2020, 11:45 PM

I doubt that the specks on the ball could be mold. Mold is a fungus and as such needs food. Which the hard resin/plastic of a pool ball can't provide, IMHO. So the food would have to be on the ball itself, like a layer of grease or such. Which in turn should be removable, easily.

I may be mistaken here. Maybe those people more knowledgeable about the "ingredients" of pool balls could chime in. But so far, I can't think of anything biodegradable in pool ball resin ...

Even if it is not mold, it sounds bad. Maybe K2Kraze has a solution how to remove that ... If you have somebody around you with a microscope and biological knowledge the origins of the dots could be solved.

Old
  (#1748)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2020, 01:11 PM

The same marks are on my light yellow and cream coloured balls, Mr P. The blemishes are also of a slightly rough texture, almost like a casting flaw.

Fortunately for me, several single Hyatt balls picked up here and there over the years can be employed as near perfect replacements.

Pictures and descriptions of my pool ball collection and custom designs are gradually being uploaded to the AZB album area. If anyone would like to view these galleries as they grow, please click on the relevant link below.

Ball galleries: https://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=2574

Custom designs: https://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=2653

Best wishes,
RC.

Old
  (#1749)
mrpoopytime
Registered

06-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Alright, thank you guys for convincing me it's not a mold/mildew problem. Still a little disappointing it has these flaws, but I can live with it.

Old
  (#1750)
Dan_B
AzB Gold Member

06-25-2020, 12:10 PM

I'm sick, not feeling so good,
somebody snapped up a set of those hex cyclops, new, over in the for sale section.
...gonna have to get with the program of alternate ways to pay...

Page 117 of 117 « First 1767107115116117

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: