Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Whatís the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player?
Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Whatís the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player?
Old
  (#1)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Whatís the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player? - 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM

I know I’ve started threads on here before whining about my diminishing pool skills now in my 60s, but I’m hoping by the title of this thread that the responses might be slightly different this time around.

So I pose this question, what is more depressing and frustrating for an aging pool player who loves the game and hates seeing it dying out?

1) Having all the experience and knowledge acquired in nearly a lifetime (50 years) of playing pool, but no longer being able to execute the shots anywhere near the level of consistency that I used to have? Or

2) The complete absence of having any young players around to allow me the opportunity to pass on this knowledge and experience, in attempt to help them become better players sooner than they otherwise would, and certainly sooner than myself, considering I had no one around to look up to and teach me when I was young?

Yes, I know there are plenty of you out there, most likely under 60, who may feel that advancing years should be no excuse for diminishing pool skills. There is some concrete reason why there have been no major pool titles won anytime recently by players 50 years of age or older, just as in the case of golf, a very similar sport.

I claim that if Tom Watson had been able to make that 6 foot putt to par the 72nd hole of the British Open 10 years ago, just months shy of his 60th birthday, that would have easily been the most remarkable individual sports achievement in history. It would have given many of us the inspiration that anything is possible at our age!

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 01-03-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Edit

Old
  (#2)
Kevin Lindstrom
14.1 Addict
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6237

01-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Just remember Watson didn't miss that 6 foot put because he was 60 years old.

Keep playing and enjoy the game. I know I certainly plan to do the same.

Kevin

SCREW IT LETS RIDE

Old
  (#3)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 11:34 AM

Hell, I never was a top pool player, nor was I near the top of any sport I played when growing up. As I said on the thread debating natural talent vs. hard work & dedication, I just enjoyed being there. So, I'm probably not one to comment on pool specifically.

But having made 76 trips around the sun, I can comment about old age. Hell, I don't like it one bit! Along with aches an pains, I have a long list of medical issues. Age related macular degeneration cataracts and glaucoma hurting my vision, joint & heart problems, etc.

Nobody in my age group likes being in it. Nobody.

But then, when I consider how many of my peers didn't make it this far?

Well, I'm just enjoying being here. Mostly.

(edit) You did touch on one thing. That is, by the time you're old enough to have learned a few things...the young people don't want to hear it.

Last edited by pwd72s; 01-03-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Old
  (#4)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 11:39 AM

Geez, I didn’t start playing until I was 70. Of when you start at that age your shills don’t diminish, they improve. Ha ha.
Why don’t you start playing in a league where you will have a opportunity to pass on the knowledge you’ve gathered over the years.

Player, BD cue, Brazilian Kingwood
Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling
Table, Brunswick Gold Crown 3

Old
  (#5)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

01-03-2020, 11:56 AM

health issues which restrict the time i can spend at the table

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#6)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lindstrom View Post
Just remember Watson didn't miss that 6 foot put because he was 60 years old.

Keep playing and enjoy the game. I know I certainly plan to do the same.

Kevin
Are you sure about that? As I recall, he didn’t even scare the hole. It looked to me more like the stroke of your average 60-year-old country club golfer as opposed to one of the greatest golfers of all time. Yes, I realize the intense pressure at that moment was the main cause for that fateful stroke moreso than his age, but don’t for one minute think his age wasn’t a factor!

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 01-03-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Edit

Old
  (#7)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-03-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I know I’ve started threads on here before whining about my diminishing pool skills now in my 60s, but I’m hoping by the title of this thread that the responses might be slightly different this time around.

So I pose this question, what is more depressing and frustrating for an aging pool player who loves the game and hates seeing it dying out?

1) Having all the experience and knowledge acquired in nearly a lifetime (50 years) of playing pool, but no longer being able to execute the shots anywhere near the level of consistency that I used to have? Or

2) The complete absence of having any young players around to allow me the opportunity to pass on this knowledge and experience, in attempt to help them become better players sooner than they otherwise would, and certainly sooner than myself, considering I had no one around to look up to and teach me when I was young?

Yes, I know there are plenty of you out there, most likely under 60, who may feel that advancing years should be no excuse for diminishing pool skills. There is some concrete reason why there have been no major pool titles won anytime recently by players 50 years of age or older, just as in the case of golf, a very similar sport.

I claim that if Tom Watson had been able to make that 6 foot putt to par the 72nd hole of the British Open 10 years ago, just months shy of his 60th birthday, that would have easily been the most remarkable individual sports achievement in history. It would have given many of us the inspiration that anything is possible at our age!
The answer is simple. Because it's folly.

Just look at what you do now and what you don't do.

- Do you practice for the same length of time and intensity as you did when you were younger?

- Do you have the burning desire to prove yourself, display your skills and beat your opponents, to the extreme where it can be labeled an obsession?

- Do you have a structured, daily regimen to work on your skills, learn new ones, play games that advance your skills and address your weaknesses?

- Do you come to the table rested, with energy, focus and passion?

- Do you have the confidence that you are 100% ready for your match?

- Are you willing to sacrifice family and career time pursuing your pool-playing goals?

These are not skills or abilities, they are regimens and attitudes that improve them. The last one is simply common sense. May we all have the wisdom to choose wisely. When I see young people obsessed with the game, I do not see a bright future.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 01-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Old
  (#8)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 12:36 PM

At 70 I look back and know I was and still am a much better motorcycle rider than a pool player. Until I blew out my knee a much better skier too. Now with arthritis in my thumbs and wrists I lament the inability to form a closed bridge. Beyond that, the limits of my play is only restricted due to my own priorities to other sports.

But as I age I spend more time at the table. This seems to be the only thing I'm getting better at. Oh, except napping, I could be a contender at that.

Old
  (#9)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

01-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
The answer is simple. Because it's folly.

Just look at what you do now and what you don't do.

- Do you practice for the same length of time and intensity as you did when you were younger?

- Do you have the burning desire to prove yourself, display your skills and beat your opponents, to the extreme where it can be labeled an obsession?

- Do you have a structured, daily regimen to work on your skills, learn new ones, play games that advance your skills and address your weaknesses?

- Do you come to the table rested, with energy, focus and passion?

- Do you have the confidence that you are 100% ready for your match?

- Are you willing to sacrifice family and career time pursuing your pool-playing goals?

These are not skills or abilities, they are regimens and attitudes that improve them. The last one is simply common sense. May we all have the wisdom to choose wisely. When I see young people obsessed with the game, I do not see a bright future.
Yes, I can check off all the boxes with the exception of the last one. The reality is that itís just too late at this point in my life.

Old
  (#10)
Taxi
AzB Silver Member
Taxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
What’s the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player?
That's easy. Playing in one of those weekend tournaments and having your last match on Saturday end after midnight, then having to drive home and be back at 11:00 the next morning if you made it to the second day. At 75 I can play for long stretches beginning in the afternoon and well into the evening, but having to start all over again the next morning is too much for me to sweat.

Old
  (#11)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 01:02 PM

My game going downhill way faster than my fargo rating.
I also dont play 2 day tournaments anymore
Breaking power is not what it should be so i like 1 pocket more and more

Last edited by misterpoole; 01-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Lighten up, have fun!
Old
  (#12)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member
AkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Smile Lighten up, have fun! - 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM

I am 69 and still enjoy the game. Most of my playing is at home on my old 9' Rebco.

I was never an "A" player and never will be. Don't have to be to have fun. Pool hall closed years ago and only pool is at local dives on really neglected tables.

If you move to a hick Alaskan town you can be about the best player around! LOL

The hardest part for me is keeping a competitive edge, just can't maintain it for hour after hour like I used to. So not having the mental focus makes consistency hard.

I am more concerned with my diminishing firearms skills, especially with the hand gun. They are different then rifles and require lots of trigger time. Here in Alaska it is the middle of winter and the gun range is frozen!

The pool table is warm and cozy and I will visit it later this evening. Father Time spares no one, embrace it and just have fun and relish it when you have a good day and beat one of the local hot shots!

Old
  (#13)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-03-2020, 02:48 PM

i recently ran 56 balls of 14:1 this is possibly my all time high

my average has never been any where near 15

I do have 5 inch pockets so that helps,but
5inch was standard when I was a kid

I have improved my game with the Jackpot cue

All of you senior citizens might want to buy a Jackpot Sr
the cue that improved Deans high run

Present your AARP card for an extra discount

Beeing old sdoesn't mean you can not hit the Jackpot

Last edited by deanoc; 01-08-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Old
  (#14)
dogginda9
I need a vacation.
dogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond reputedogginda9 has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 02:52 PM

For me it is 2-fold.
Non essential tremors and arthritis in my bridge hand thumb. Not being able to make a comfortable closed bridge without shooting pain and shaking like a leaf make pool a real treat sometimes.😣 I can still get it done sometimes but other times it`s just out of my control.
I've come to terms with it and for the most part I'm ok about it.
My best days are behind me and now I just play because I love the game.

"Who witnessed your 311 a plant in the corner?" John Schmidt

Old
  (#15)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....
UGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2020, 03:33 PM

- Back / neck issues
- Eyesight not as good
- Losing your edge / killer instinct...it just doesn't matter like it used to
- Frustration with knowing how to do it...but at times not being able to execute
- Inability to focus over time...such as long gambling match ups / deep into tournaments

Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: