McKernan Cue Cases Galore

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hi All,

Here is a grouping of six McKernan cases from my case collection.
These cases are high on the cool factor scale, and not common in the marketplace so I thought I would share a few pictures.
Most of the lids have chevron-shaped inlay work, and inside the lids all came with a Brad tip scuffer.
Really unique, the wood veneer work is very well done, and the Celtic knot shaped leather handle is special. Interesting, and uncommon.
If others have pictures of their McKernan cases, I strongly encourage you to add your pictures and tell the story of your case!

Will Prout
Case Lover

Attachments

• 0046D34C-090E-4057-9E4E-76CF2462E7A1.jpg
    0046D34C-090E-4057-9E4E-76CF2462E7A1.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 18A9BA31-97C7-4C99-8967-B235DFAD5932.jpg
    18A9BA31-97C7-4C99-8967-B235DFAD5932.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 3B6B88AE-FAC8-45F4-9845-A90645563083.jpg
    3B6B88AE-FAC8-45F4-9845-A90645563083.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 50C0BC8F-8D63-4B89-B1C7-12BA5CEDB6B4.jpg
    50C0BC8F-8D63-4B89-B1C7-12BA5CEDB6B4.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
A few more.......

Will Prout

Attachments

• E8DF1AEA-A449-44B1-9136-8D8530351F8A.jpg
    E8DF1AEA-A449-44B1-9136-8D8530351F8A.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 984
  • F1A60CB2-BE47-41A0-9C94-A165D8A8C1EA.jpg
    F1A60CB2-BE47-41A0-9C94-A165D8A8C1EA.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 965
  • 249BF510-89F3-4D97-8BBB-0BA00EAAC2E7.jpg
    249BF510-89F3-4D97-8BBB-0BA00EAAC2E7.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 988

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very cool Will,

Reminds me of a PVC case I made for traveling that also doubled as a heck of a self-defense tool if needed.

Thanks for sharing.

-don

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Very cool Will,

Reminds me of a PVC case I made for traveling that also doubled as a heck of a self-defense tool if needed.

Thanks for sharing.

-don

Hey Don,

Hope all is well! We need to get together again, maybe get back out to my
place, been some changes!

Will

NicKen

Registered
Here is most of my McKernan collection. Taken many years to collect these and I live in the Seattle area. The Leather case embossed was his personal case.

Most cases were sold at the Old 211 Club in Seattle, also Pat would run ads in the National billiard magazines. When requested he would send info in the really cool envelope and you could order a case from him. 99.9% of them were made with a Oak veneer. In the pictures the first case is the only none Oak veneer one I have seen but it does have a oak veneer top.

Attachments

• A McKernan Tubes.jpg
    A McKernan Tubes.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 711
  • A McKernan Leather.jpg
    A McKernan Leather.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 751
  • A McKernan Group.jpg
    A McKernan Group.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 765
  • A McKernan .jpg
    A McKernan .jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 723

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Here is most of my McKernan collection. Taken many years to collect these and I live in the Seattle area. The Leather case embossed was his personal case.

Most cases were sold at the Old 211 Club in Seattle, also Pat would run ads in the National billiard magazines. When requested he would send info in the really cool envelope and you could order a case from him. 99.9% of them were made with a Oak veneer. In the pictures the first case is the only none Oak veneer one I have seen but it does have a oak veneer top.

Very, very, very cool collection!
Wonderful mix of styles, and great pictures!
Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!

Will Prout

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Very cool Will,

Thanks for sharing.

-don
They are PVC cases. He was in the green lake area and later moved on Greenwood ave. N. He also made some plain cues for a while and wrote books on how to hustle pool. He did quiet a few different things and was always busy.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread. Thanks for the pics.

I have failed to pull the trigger on several of these I saw for sale and regret it. As a case collector I really think a complete collection should have at least one example. I had no idea anyone focused on these though. My case collecting focuses on Fellini style cases, but I do enjoy others.

I see it mentioned he made cues. I am wondering if anybody can post an example.

Again, thanks for the pics.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been looking to buy some tubing like this for a long time.

Does anyone know the specs for it and where to obtain it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Aloha

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been looking to buy some tubing like this for a long time.

Does anyone know the specs for it and where to obtain it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Aloha

Its ABS pipe, with wood veneer. He made the liners to go inside, after the hardware was attached.

The handles are called the 'mystery braid', and can be done several different ways. Pat added an decorative cuts and some stamping for aesthetics.

Here is the basic braid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gFIbhYaM0

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Some extremely substantive posts have been added to this thread, which have overall significantly furthered both the knowledge and awareness of these unique cases,
and I am very grateful for the additional information.

If anyone has additional information or pictures of McKernan case(s) they are willing to post, a lot of case aficionados would certainly be appreciative.

Let’s see’em!

Will Prout

Last edited:

erle flad

I bought a South West cue that came in a McKernan round wood case - it's in perfect shape but missing the scuffer; anybody know where I could get the scuffer, or one that would fit? Thanks

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a South West cue that came in a McKernan round wood case - it's in perfect shape but missing the scuffer; anybody know where I could get the scuffer, or one that would fit? Thanks
Just google Brad scuffer, many places sell them. I doubt the ones that came with the cases is any different than the classic Brad scuffer that is still available.