Anyone ever played on a Gold Crown with Artemis Cushions?

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and a few buddies picked up three gold crown three's from a pool hall and are all in the process of re-finishing them. I always wanted a Diamond blue label 9 footer but the cost was pretty high. I've heard of folks putting on the Artemis Intercontinental No.66 (K55) cushions on Gold Crowns which are the same cushions that are put on the 9 foot diamond blue labels. We will be using Simonis 860 etc.. I have a similar post in the ask a mechanic section but wanted to post here to see if any players have done this before or played on one. Is this what you call diamondizing a Gold Crown?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
You should place this type of question in the Talk to a Mechanic section.
You’ll need to start a new thread on the subject.

Also, do some search’s in that section.

Try the terms....How do I Diamondize a Gold Crown?

Not as easy as just slapping on the cushions.
Many things to take into consideration.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC III with Artemis K55 cushions. Plays nice but not much different than Brunswick cushions IMO. The Diamond pocket shelves are noticeably deeper making a Diamond play harder. Cushions don't change that. Try it, see if you like 'em.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They will play faster for sure.

Unless you have a really good mechanic who n.v can build out your pockets to Diamond specs, the pockets won't behave like Diamonds. Without the deeper shelf the balls don't hang up the same and you don't have to do surgery to remove a ball deep in the pocket.

You could go Black Diamond rails, they play real goo to. Just not as springy.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The subrail needs to be calibrated to ensure the proper rail height is achieved. This will have to be done for any cushion you choose to go with, even the modern Brunswick SuperSpeeds. There is TONS of information about this in the mechanics section. I’m in the process of restoring a GC1 and plan to go with either Diamond Black or Klemach P59. Artemis has been frowned upon by Glen and other top mechanics due to something having to do with the nose of rubber.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The subrail needs to be calibrated to ensure the proper rail height is achieved. This will have to be done for any cushion you choose to go with, even the modern Brunswick SuperSpeeds. There is TONS of information about this in the mechanics section. I’m in the process of restoring a GC1 and plan to go with either Diamond Black or Klemach P59. Artemis has been frowned upon by Glen and other top mechanics due to something having to do with the nose of rubber.
P59 are great for 3C because they have such high density, so that the bigger 3C balls used always bank consistently, whether banked hard or soft, but shorting or lengthening banks are pretty much none existant, because you can't compress the cushions.

Reactions: bbb

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC3 with K55 and 860HR. It plays amazing... perfect Gold Crown IMO.

You’ll be disappointed if you want it to play like a Diamond, though. Rail construction and pocket shelves are different, so it’ll never play quite like that.

However, if you want a GC that plays exactly how a GC should, this will do it.

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the info on this as many on here have a lot of experience it seems on this topic. I play on a tour where we play a lot on Diamond Blue Labels with those Artemis Cushions and some events do have GC's (I'm assuming they have the Super Speeds on them). I assumed having these cushions put on my gold crown would make sense as it should play similar in regards to balls coming off the rails. I don't think I'm going to go as far as having the shelf's modified as it seems to be very involved, but I will have the corner pockets shimmed to 4 1/2 and the sides to 5" (I'm assuming these are good dimensions?).

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I appreciate all the info on this as many on here have a lot of experience it seems on this topic. I play on a tour where we play a lot on Diamond Blue Labels with those Artemis Cushions and some events do have GC's (I'm assuming they have the Super Speeds on them). I assumed having these cushions put on my gold crown would make sense as it should play similar in regards to balls coming off the rails. I don't think I'm going to go as far as having the shelf's modified as it seems to be very involved, but I will have the corner pockets shimmed to 4 1/2 and the sides to 5" (I'm assuming these are good dimensions?).

All sounds good minus the "shims". Have someone do proper subrail extensions, you are going through this while thing, might as well have it come out the best it can! Good Luck

Trent from Toledo

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should place this type of question in the Talk to a Mechanic section.
You’ll need to start a new thread on the subject.

Also, do some search’s in that section.

Try the terms....How do I Diamondize a Gold Crown?

Not as easy as just slapping on the cushions.
Many things to take into consideration.

Where is this Talk to a Mechanic section?

Edit : Never mind.. Found it :D

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P59 are great for 3C because they have such high density, so that the bigger 3C balls used always bank consistently, whether banked hard or soft, but shorting or lengthening banks are pretty much none existant, because you can't compress the cushions.

Thanks for the feedback. So Diamond Black and SuperSpeeds are really the only way to go?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. So Diamond Black and SuperSpeeds are really the only way to go?

No, there's always multiple choices, some are the right choices, some are just people trying to sell you something. I like installing Superspeed cushions on GC'S as that's their cushions in the first place. Just became the superspeed cushions had some product issues in the early to mid 80's, that don't mean they're bad cushions now and should be avoided today. When you play on Diamonds and GCs, back and forth, learn to adjust your game, as the world is full of more pool tables than Diamonds, and you'd have to adjust to every table you play on anyway.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I get asked all the time to make a non Diamond table play more like a Diamond.

That to me is like asking the Big O Tire store where I buy my tires...."if I put racing tires on my car, will they make my car go faster"

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC 3 with K55 artemis rubber Put on by a very good table mech who also extended the rails to 4 1/4 pockets cut to the looser side ( didn't want a 1 pkt table that hurt the 9 ball game ) Table plays very well but banks a little different that the GC3's
at the local pool rooms that the same mech does that have superspeed rails.
RKC told me that the nose on the artemis rubber is a little more pronounced that superspeed rubber accounting for banks playing a little bit different.
Good luck
ps
I played on a 'dimonized ' GC3 table. It plays terrible !! Balls come off the rails at strange angles. Terrible table.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I was fortunate to have RKC come to my house to fix up my GC1. Yes, he used the Artemis rubber and beyond that, there is a lot of science and technique involved in properly extending the subrails. The key word here is "properly".

I couldn't be happier with how my table plays after Glen worked his magic. :thumbup:

My recommendation to you would be, if possible, try to get a good mechanic to do the job for you.

best,
brian kc

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have a GC 3 with K55 artemis rubber Put on by a very good table mech who also extended the rails to 4 1/4 pockets cut to the looser side ( didn't want a 1 pkt table that hurt the 9 ball game ) Table plays very well but banks a little different that the GC3's
at the local pool rooms that the same mech does that have superspeed rails.
RKC told me that the nose on the artemis rubber is a little more pronounced that superspeed rubber accounting for banks playing a little bit different.
Good luck
ps
I played on a 'dimonized ' GC3 table. It plays terrible !! Balls come off the rails at strange angles. Terrible table.

You're saying that GC3 that had a drop-in Artemis plays better than the Diamondized Gc3 ?