how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If one of my teammates misses another shot because they refuse to use "the sissy stick" I will choke them. Is there a patch for that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

i don't think there is.:grin: frustrating ain't it . :grin:

how about a patch for keeping your composure when your opponents refuses to call a foul on theirselves.? i had an opponent make 4 fouls during our match one time. each time i would say ...bih...right ? he says no , that was a good hit. so it gets to hill-hill and he is on the 8 ball. my last ball is right beside it but not blocking it. he had the 8 straight in and i said hold on , i want the lo to observe. my opponent got so flustered over that he rattled the pocket and i ran out. afterwards my lo asked why i wanted him to observe . i said he refused to acknowledge 4 fouls during our match and i wanted to make sure he did not commit another one. my lo just laughed.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in a league for the first time ever. It's a cool experience. My first match was against a 4. I was absolutely terrible in the first game, including a missed BIH, but then won the next three pretty easily to win 3-1. My next match, a makeup game played the same night, was against a 7. I needed 2 to win, he needed 5. The progression was 0-1, 1-1 (I ran about 4-5 balls to win), 1-2 (ran 5 balls off the break but tried to get too fancy on position on a straight-in shot, then he ran out), 1-3 (he made an 8 on the break), then 1-4 after I absolutely dumped two medium-level chances to make the 8-ball to win. In the hill-hill game it wasn't looking good, but he hooked himself and then I ran 5 balls to win. All but one of the games was over in 3 innings or fewer. Once the computer updated the results I got bumped up to a level 5.

Overall I think I could become competitive with the 7 but have a lot of work to do on strategy and position. He left himself a lot more easy shots and looked more comfortable at the table than I felt (though who knows what I looked like). I also default to the mode of trying to run as many balls as possible but that's obviously not optimal when your opponent can run out an open table.

once i quit trying to run out all the time i found my win % went up.

i faced a 6 last tue who just got back from vegas. i had never played him but i watched him beat another 6 by 5-0 in our ltc finals. i knew i could not out shoot him so i out thought him . i won 4-3 in 35 innings with me playing 18 safes. i had him so frustrated that when he did have a shot it was 50/50 that he would make it.. :D

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thiught i would bump this from page 8. where did every one go ? has this thread run its course ?

had playoffs all week but i will start with last sunday masters. won both matches by 7-4 and 7-5. reall like this format...wish it was more than once a month now.

now sunday night double jeapordy playoffs. don;t think i mentioned this before but we played most of this session with just 4 players ....having to replay the 5th round every week. in playoffs you are not allowed replay so i really saw no use for use to play but the team wanted to go any way.

suprise, suprise. :D we won 9 ball 56-24 in 4 rounds ....forfeited the 5th round giving them 20 points and still won the match 56-44.

in 8 ball we were tied 6-6 after 4 rounds and forfeited the 5th losing the match.

tue night 8 ball we lost 7-1 in 3 rounds. :( i was keeping score and the captain told me to play the 4th round and i told him its over. he said ...what ?

wed night double jeapordy. we did not qualify in 8 ball but we won in 4 rounds in 9 ball....dont remember the score. again i did not play.

fri night scotch doubles. already qualified for 8 ball so we just had to play 9 ball. we won 31-9 in 2 rounds.

oh yea.....my sunday night team decided to disband. even my g/f is quitting. the team. the captain of the team we beat asked me to join their team. she also plays on my wed night team.

she asked me to be captain ..i said ok. i asked to keep my team name and she said ok. we decided to keep half of her players and add 2 more . on paper it looks to be a stronger team than i had last session.

the new team will have
2- 7'/8's
1 -6/5
2-5/5's
2-3/3s

my old team had
1-5/5
1-5/4
2-3/3's

her old team had
2-7/8's ...1 ineligible for playoffs
1-6/5
2-5/5's
1-4/4's
2-3/3's

yet we beat them 56-24 in playoffs.....its all about matching up . :grin-square:

Last edited:

DonsSmidget

Guppy
Silver Member
Since I last posted here about my league play I have gone from a 2 to a 3 in 9 ball and from a 3 to a 4. I guess Im doing something right!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I last posted here about my league play I have gone from a 2 to a 3 in 9 ball and from a 3 to a 4. I guess Im doing something right!

good shooting:thumbup:

keep at it and soon you will move on up to a 4/5.

oh yea....dont get discouraged if you fluctuate between levels a few yimes. it happens to all of us as we continue to improve and move up each level.

DonsSmidget

Guppy
Silver Member
Thanks lorider. I'll get there. Im putting in the hours on the table and enjoying it and learning. Right now hubby is gearing up for USAM so practice sessions have gotten a tad intense and I love it. Makes we want to keep doing better. At least now I am a bit of a challange!!!!!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after my third match am now up to a 6... is 7 on the way??

This feels like a taxicab confession, but apparently all the teams in the league simply don't mark defensive shots. I don't see any obvious sandbagging going on so for now it feels like no harm, no foul. There are probably some 3's who take extra safeties that I haven't noticed, but overall people seem to be trying the best.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our team made 8 ball playoffs but lost in 4 rounds. Still a 3 in 8, pulled off a shutout win to start the match but 8th went downhill from there. Interesting turn of events at Nationals, the APA made me play as a 4 mid minimania tournament. I had just sunk the winning ball in the final round when a floor manager came over and told me because I was a 4 in another area I had to play as a 4. I explained I moved across the country several years ago and dropped down to a 3 while in my area and I had no lowest attainable lock. Apparently it doesn't matter? So if I had dropped down to a 3 before I moved that would be ok... makes no sense to me but whatever I was still a 3 when I came back and not locked in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sill winning, still confused as to why I'm a 4 lol. Whatever....
9-Ball Open Summer 2015 4 11 9 81.82%

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 2nd last week last session I beat a SL7 and was raised to an SL7 myself the following week. This session I have played 11 matches, won 1 and was just moved back down to a SL6.

My concern is that we are in playoffs tomorrow which I'm looking forward too, but if I do well, will I get moved back up to a SL7? There is no way that I'm a SL7, SL6 yes definitely but more on the low end then high.

I qualified for regional's in the spring as a SL6 and if I go at that level I will have a chance. But if I go as SL7 I will be slaughtered.

Oh well, play the best I can and if I go up then so be it!

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 2nd last week last session I beat a SL7 and was raised to an SL7 myself the following week. This session I have played 11 matches, won 1 and was just moved back down to a SL6.

My concern is that we are in playoffs tomorrow which I'm looking forward too, but if I do well, will I get moved back up to a SL7? There is no way that I'm a SL7, SL6 yes definitely but more on the low end then high.

I qualified for regional's in the spring as a SL6 and if I go at that level I will have a chance. But if I go as SL7 I will be slaughtered.

Oh well, play the best I can and if I go up then so be it!

Think positively! I'm new, not very good really, but I played organized sports since I was 6yrs old. I just relax, focus and play. If you think you're beaten before you start, you usually are. You can beat those 7's if you focus and play your best. Never give up!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sill winning, still confused as to why I'm a 4 lol. Whatever....
9-Ball Open Summer 2015 4 11 9 81.82%

good shooting :thumbup:

its not really based on how many you win....its more about how you win. we have a few players here that always hover around 70_ 80 % every session and never go up.

you are probably winning 3-1...3-2 in 15 or more innings every match....if you are playing opponents your level or less. i guarantee you if you won a couple of matches 3-0 or 3-1 in 8 innings or less you will go up.

i recall when i was fairly new and still a 4. i played a 3 and won 3-0 in 6 innings. on the way home my g/f ...who was the one who had been playing a while and got me to join said.....you won 3-0 in 6 innings...you will be a 5 next week. sure enough i was lol.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think positively! I'm new, not very good really, but I played organized sports since I was 6yrs old. I just relax, focus and play. If you think you're beaten before you start, you usually are. You can beat those 7's if you focus and play your best. Never give up!

great advice.

the 2 best pieces of advice i ever got was.

don't play your opponent....play the table.

if you can not run out play safe.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I obliterated this poor guy 5-0 this week and am now up to a 7. I was hoping to work my way there by the end of the year but it happened in week 5. Now it's be careful what you wish for time...

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it was a shark move...

My 9ball league match was called while I was in the bathroom.

I was racking, giving the 8. Opponent is a new guy in the league. He was breaking.

Maybe he thought he was racking...he had racked already, placing his 8 ball in the second row behind the 1 ball.

I re-racked, placing the 8 in the last row, just above the bottom ball of the rack. (A former long time TD/Johnson City player gave me this advice...seems to work)

The guy comes over, I offer my hand, and say 'shoot well'. He doesn't shake hands, instead says 'I get the 8'.

I said 'yeah, I know'.

He says 'it goes up where I had it'.

I said, 'I'm giving the 8, it racks where I decide to put it'.

He...'no, it goes up top, I read the rules...that's where it goes'.

Me...'no, it goes where I say it goes. It's my choice where it goes in the rack'.

Me...'do you want to ask your team mates?(who have been in league for several seasons)

He...'no, I read the rules..'

Me...'ok, I'll get the league director to explain'....I run it down to the LD, who rolls eyes and shakes his head..and says 'you put it wherever you want it'..

Me...'come tell this guy'.

We get back to the table and the LD starts to speak, and the opponent says...'my bad, I was wrong'. His team mates chime in with 'he's new, he didn't know'. The LD gives me a wtf did you drag me over here for..look.

Sheesh.

In a later game, with me breaking, giving the 8(in the second row) the top 3 balls were loose and the rack was twisted, more than a little. I told the racker. The opponent says...'go fix it if you want'..so I did...he inspected, and signed off. Then I broke.

Sheesh.

I just figured that the new guy was misinformed and stubborn. And that the other team mate just gave a lazy rack.

Now I wonder if I got sharked?

Maybe being this dense ain't all bad.:eek:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Manageds to get a first place in our summer 8 ball league, first time. Didn't do to bad in the summer 9 ball 2 man team handicapped league. My partner was a relatively new player so I thought 3rd place was quite an accomplishment.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play on 6 tables on league night. 11 weeks in. As I was walking out last night I saw a table that looked like the surface of one of saturns moons with all the chalk marks.

When I asked I found that one of the players was using Kamui chalk. I was stunned by the mess it left. Crazy.

To keep with the spirit of the thread, keeping my head above water, near .500 eleven weeks in, mixed 9ball and 10ball league.

Not capping on Kamui really just an observation. Didn't want to start a whole chalk war thread. I know its good stuff (it better be for the price) but what a mess!

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
My 9ball league match was called while I was in the bathroom.

I was racking, giving the 8. Opponent is a new guy in the league. He was breaking.

Maybe he thought he was racking...he had racked already, placing his 8 ball in the second row behind the 1 ball.

I re-racked, placing the 8 in the last row, just above the bottom ball of the rack. (A former long time TD/Johnson City player gave me this advice...seems to work)

The guy comes over, I offer my hand, and say 'shoot well'. He doesn't shake hands, instead says 'I get the 8'.

I said 'yeah, I know'.

He says 'it goes up where I had it'.

I said, 'I'm giving the 8, it racks where I decide to put it'.

He...'no, it goes up top, I read the rules...that's where it goes'.

Me...'no, it goes where I say it goes. It's my choice where it goes in the rack'.

Me...'do you want to ask your team mates?(who have been in league for several seasons)

He...'no, I read the rules..'

Me...'ok, I'll get the league director to explain'....I run it down to the LD, who rolls eyes and shakes his head..and says 'you put it wherever you want it'..

Me...'come tell this guy'.

We get back to the table and the LD starts to speak, and the opponent says...'my bad, I was wrong'. His team mates chime in with 'he's new, he didn't know'. The LD gives me a wtf did you drag me over here for..look.

Sheesh.

In a later game, with me breaking, giving the 8(in the second row) the top 3 balls were loose and the rack was twisted, more than a little. I told the racker. The opponent says...'go fix it if you want'..so I did...he inspected, and signed off. Then I broke.

Sheesh.

I just figured that the new guy was misinformed and stubborn. And that the other team mate just gave a lazy rack.

Now I wonder if I got sharked?

Maybe being this dense ain't all bad.:eek:

New guy and stubborn?
Just sounds like a typical dick to me

bobprobst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We won Summer 9 ball so we're qualified for the LTCs in June. Week 5 of Fall session and we're first in both 8 and 9 ball so far but we're having some problems filling out our roster (oddly enough).

Personally, I went up to a 6 in 9 ball last winter and am struggling to win against other 6s and 7s - always close but only 1 win so far this Fall. I'm still a 5 in 8 ball and am undefeated so far this season - even beat a 7 last week 3-2. Won't be surprised if I get bumped to a 6 sometime this year.

Shane33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started back last session after about 15 years . Played a 6 first match beat him 3-0 and was a 6 the next week .I remained a 6 the whole session . We were tied for first in playoffs at the end . Won the first week and lost the second week of playoffs .Counting playoffs I won 11 out of 13 matches .

I went to a 7 the first week this session and we have played 3 weeks and I am 3-0 this session . Hopefully I can continue doing well . Win percentage is 87.5% .

Was traveling a little less than half the matches last section . This session we are in house .

Fun hanging out with good friends and playing pool ! Good Stuff !