Gus Szamboti 70's

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am the original owner......Bought in about 1976....58 1/2 " 20 oz with 3 shafts that are approx. 13mm. I remember paying extra for the 3rd shaft, the silver ring at the top of the wrap, the inlays in the points, the dots at the top of the points and the barbells in the butt. I basically told him to make something he liked and didn't limit him in any way and this is what he came up with for me. I remember it taking a long time to get it after ordering it but it is simply a fantastic looking and hitting cue. I have not used this cue for 20 years and just recently took it out of my safe deposit box to take some pictures and try to determine the fair market value. Please message me any information you can provide as I won't see replies here.

Last edited:

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus

Very nice Gus and a wonderful story. Thank You for sharing the pictures and history.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I am the original owner......Bought in about 1976....58 1/2 " 20 oz with 3 shafts that are approx. 13mm. I remember paying extra for the 3rd shaft, the silver ring at the top of the wrap, the inlays in the points, the dots at the top of the points and the barbells in the butt. I basically told him to make something he liked and didn't limit him in any way and this is what he came up with for me. I remember it taking a long time to get it after ordering it but it is simply a fantastic looking and hitting cue. I have not used this cue for 20 years and just recently took it out of my safe deposit box to take some pictures and try to determine the fair market value. Please message me any information you can provide as I won't see replies here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147088882@N02/albums/72157679608318555

Your AZ screen name should be "Luckydog" :). VERY nice cue.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure your inbox is on fire with offers,Great Cue!

It has been quite overwhelming actually but I have gotten a lot of wonderful help from some of the members to help me determine the fair value of this magnificent cue that I have owned my entire life almost. I know it is time to get this into the hands of someone else that can appreciate it as much as I have but it is always hard to let something go that you have owned for so long. Thanks again to everyone that has offered their help :)

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several hundred messages later people have been asking for more details about the cue so here are a few things I remember. I used to play a lot of pool with Gary Spaeth and he had a Szamboti as well as his dad Joey Spaeth who was also a fantastic player. Anyway, they are the ones that turned me onto getting a Szamboti in the 1976-77 area. Also the price I paid was around $400 which was a couple of hundred more than just the plain model he offered. Then sometime around 20 years ago life got in the way and I put it in the case and forgot about it basically until a week ago or so ago. I have researched and seen lots of pictures of Gus's cues and I have never seen one just like it

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another story I remember about this cue......I was at Starcher's Billiards in Akron, Ohio and I hadn't seen Gary Spaeth in a few years since I had moved. He was playing in a large tournament that Saturday and he somehow only had one shaft with him and he cracked the ferrule on it during one of his matches. He didn't know what to do and then he saw me in the bleachers and came over and said I had to let him use my Szamboti since he had always loved mine and knew how it would feel/play since he had a Gus also. So I said of course and he never lost a match that day. I went home that night with my cue and did not go back up to Starcher's on Sunday so I do not know what he did for a cue that day but it was fun to see him win every match he played with my Gus Szamboti Her sure could bank a ball. Of all the players I saw over the years the one that looked the most natural over a ball stroking a cue was Gary. You had to see it in person to appreciate it. He just looked like he fit the game perfectly and the high triangle he made with his index finger of his bridge hand was a thing of beauty.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Another story I remember about this cue......I was at Starcher's Billiards in Akron, Ohio and I hadn't seen Gary Spaeth in a few years since I had moved. He was playing in a large tournament that Saturday and he somehow only had one shaft with him and he cracked the ferrule on it during one of his matches. He didn't know what to do and then he saw me in the bleachers and came over and said I had to let him use my Szamboti since he had always loved mine and knew how it would feel/play since he had a Gus also. So I said of course and he never lost a match that day. I went home that night with my cue and did not go back up to Starcher's on Sunday so I do not know what he did for a cue that day but it was fun to see him win every match he played with my Gus Szamboti Her sure could bank a ball. Of all the players I saw over the years the one that looked the most natural over a ball stroking a cue was Gary. You had to see it in person to appreciate it. He just looked like he fit the game perfectly and the high triangle he made with his index finger of his bridge hand was a thing of beauty.

Great story, thanks. I grew up iin a small town near Mansfield, Ohio, and have played pool all my life. I lived in Akron for a while, around 1970, then moved to Canton for several years. But I always went to the tournaments in Akron. I played some there with Jerry Wolf, Emil Glocar, Joe Kerr and others for years. This was before Joe started promoting tournaments. I remember when Paul Mottey came over from Pittsburgh and was walking around the room selling his first two cues.

Sounds like you were from the Cincy area. I became good friends with a player from southern Ohio, Rick Garrison. A very good player, Rick also shot with a Gus for a while. When he moved to Kansas City, where I have lived for almost 30 years, we played on the same team in a BCA league for years.

You have a great, and rare Gus. I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus

Great story Will. I love those old story's and I can picture in my mind. I remember as a kid going into The 8 Ball pool room in Tacoma. I was young but I remember the owner was Whitey Micheals and a guy named Fly Boy. I was talking with Joe Salazar and he said he used to play there with those guys as well. I was about 10 years old and used to go there with my Dad who shot some pretty good pool as well. I know it is a different area but I love the stories of the good old days.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story, thanks. I grew up iin a small town near Mansfield, Ohio, and have played pool all my life. I lived in Akron for a while, around 1970, then moved to Canton for several years. But I always went to the tournaments in Akron. I played some there with Jerry Wolf, Emil Glocar, Joe Kerr and others for years. This was before Joe started promoting tournaments. I remember when Paul Mottey came over from Pittsburgh and was walking around the room selling his first two cues.

Sounds like you were from the Cincy area. I became good friends with a player from southern Ohio, Rick Garrison. A very good player, Rick also shot with a Gus for a while. When he moved to Kansas City, where I have lived for almost 30 years, we played on the same team in a BCA league for years.

You have a great, and rare Gus. I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

I remember Rick Garrison as a little taller than average dark haired slight built guy with a short beard. He was a good short stop player in the late 70's to early 80's when I used to run into him in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. I would imagine he is in his 60's now

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147088882@N02/albums/72157679608318555

Almost the exact same timeline. I had three shafts, leather wrap, but 60'' later I had Stroud cut back all three to 58'' and was able to use the original ivory ferrules. I think I paid under $250, I had the birdseye maple window in the butt. Took two years to receive it.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I remember Rick Garrison as a little taller than average dark haired slight built guy with a short beard. He was a good short stop player in the late 70's to early 80's when I used to run into him in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. I would imagine he is in his 60's now

Yep, you described Rick exactly......except he's nearing mid- 70's. Friendly, soft spoken, high integrity, a good friend.

Will Prout