how are ya'll doing in league ?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 9-ball team won this weekend. We had our Tri-Cup Qualifier and made it through. One step closer for a Vegas Trip.

We had a bit of drama though. We were scheduled to play Friday at our home pool hall. Which we were really excited about because we never seem to get drawn to play there. Thursday Night, the night before our match up. We get a message from the LO. He tells us that another team was being switched with us. So we actually had to drive 47 minutes to another place to shoot pool. I wasn't upset about being switched.. I understood why. The bar owner where we play has a team and wanted to be at home. It was the fact there was 7 other teams they could have switched with. We were all disappointed to not, get to play at home.

But we came through it. I was really proud of my team.
The really bad part of being switched with the bar owner, was the fact they had to forfeit 4 matches. Why would you even play if you KNEW you had to forfeit 4 matches...?

goombavskoopa

Registered
I feel for you...had it happen to teams I was on twice.

My suggestion....take a team vote about kicking them both off the team and replacing them with a couple.of players drama free.

If you are past the cut of date to add some players you van ask the lo to allow you to add players under the hardship clause.

I'll have to see if the LO will allow us to do this. It's difficult because I've been playing with these guys for a long time and they've done a lot for me over the years. The issue is that we just cant deal with this nonsense. I play with them both on two different nights and they're really messing it up for us. I have qualifiers next week and the week after and I dont know how we're going to play if they cant be near each other.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 9-ball team won this weekend. We had our Tri-Cup Qualifier and made it through. One step closer for a Vegas Trip.

We had a bit of drama though. We were scheduled to play Friday at our home pool hall. Which we were really excited about because we never seem to get drawn to play there. Thursday Night, the night before our match up. We get a message from the LO. He tells us that another team was being switched with us. So we actually had to drive 47 minutes to another place to shoot pool. I wasn't upset about being switched.. I understood why. The bar owner where we play has a team and wanted to be at home. It was the fact there was 7 other teams they could have switched with. We were all disappointed to not, get to play at home.

But we came through it. I was really proud of my team.
The really bad part of being switched with the bar owner, was the fact they had to forfeit 4 matches. Why would you even play if you KNEW you had to forfeit 4 matches...?

Would you mind giving a little more detail about this switching venues incident?

You mentioned winning tri cups.....this switch was not during tri cups was it ?

The tri cups in our area are held at one central location in a tournament format for all qualified teams. You may have to win 3 -4 rounds....depending on how many teams are entered and how many brackets there are..

As for playoffs....which I assume the the incident you describe was being held....the team that finishes highest in standings between the 2 opposing teams hosts the other team at their him venue.....no exceptions at all in our area.

Now dont get mw wrong....my lo is not perfect but the more I read on here about problems with lo's in other areas the more I appreciate mine.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a 4 in 9 ball this week...won 5 to 3, I shouldnt have won the match but he shanked an easy 9 ball two games in a row...played a 5 in 8 ball and once again my shooting was sporadic at best...after getting down 2 to 0, I buckled down and fought back to a 4 to 2 win....defensive shots were directly responsible for my last 2 wins of the match, so eeked them out, but the worry dogs sure were barking by the end of league night this week...better double my drills time I suppose

Last edited:

ironsoldier71

Registered
I have played in many leagues. I started APA back in the late 1980s. I moved over to BCA later on and TAP. Some in house leagues along the way. I have returned to where I started these days which is pool tournaments. I'm enjoying doing that when I can. I last competed in 9 ball APA in 2014 and went to Vegas and my team got 33rd place. Not a bad run. I am a 6 in APA for 9 ball. My 8 ball game is ok too. I just don't play as good D in 8 as I do in 9. I totally rely on pure offense on 8 to win my games. 9 ball or say One Pocket I can even the odds in a bad deal with some good D. I'm not opposed to playing league again in the future. It has to be with a great team chemistry wise. A tight group suits me fine. One where you can exchange some ideas on how to get things done.

I learned a lot along the way. I like to share that, but I also am good at listening for my own game improvement too. Anyway, I think the main thing I'd like to see leagues do today is improve the money to the players. I'd like to see more companies invest into our sport too. That means we need some crowds to show up to watch. I have a few ideas on that part. With those ideas also comes revenue to help raise the pot money for the players too.

I enjoy the game and league nights. I'd like to make this year a good year for my game.

-Ironsoldier71
Play: Viking Two Feather Anasazi Pool Cue
Break:Predator BK3 Sports Wrap Break Cue
Jump: Predator AIR 2 Jump Cue
Case: Instroke Case Custom Purple Buffalo 3x7

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you mind giving a little more detail about this switching venues incident?

You mentioned winning tri cups.....this switch was not during tri cups was it ?

The tri cups in our area are held at one central location in a tournament format for all qualified teams. You may have to win 3 -4 rounds....depending on how many teams are entered and how many brackets there are..

As for playoffs....which I assume the the incident you describe was being held....the team that finishes highest in standings between the 2 opposing teams hosts the other team at their him venue.....no exceptions at all in our area.

Now dont get mw wrong....my lo is not perfect but the more I read on here about problems with lo's in other areas the more I appreciate mine.

Our Tri Cup covers Several Counties. It's not unusual for us to have to play at 3 different places depending upon the Draw Layout. We were excited just because we finally got to play at home. I guess the way it was taken away from us bothers me. I guess I was disappointed in the League Operator. He could have moved anyone else. It didn't have to be us. Believe me when I say I am not complaining about my league operator. His area and Pool Population just keep growing. Even the Jr. Leagues.

I can see trying to make the bar owner happy about moving his match. But the bar owner did know ahead of time he was going to have to forfeit matches. He obviously didn't know he would have to forfeit 4 matches. In my opinion if I knew I was not going to be able to be competitive. I would have bowed out and gave the chance to another team.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
My wife and I started back up in an APA league this session after a 3-year absence, and after the third week we had to disband the team.

The LO asked us if we wanted to play 8 or 9-ball. We said it didn't matter. Then we were asked if we would play on a Double Jeopardy league (which we had never done before), and we said we'd give it a try.

We were put on a roster with four other people of various skill levels, two of which were a husband/wife who had never played league before. The captain was a SL8/7 (9-ball, 8-ball). I was a 7/5, my wife a 4/4, another guy (new to APA) a 4/4, and the married newcomers.

First night out and the married couple didn't show up (they had already dropped out) and it was evident the newcomer to APA was a much better player than a SL4 and would probably soon be raised. The four remaining players tried to play two matches apiece, but couldn't in 9-ball as the numbers wouldn't have worked out. So, week 1 and we're already behind three matches, behind in the pay, and in desperate need of a vey low skill level player, preferably two. On top of that, the new guy didn't know how to score so the captain, my wife, and I either were playing or keeping score all night.

Week 2...the LO brought us over three new players, two 4/4's, and a woman with BCA experience also starting out as a 2/3. Things were looking up. The new woman played her nights matches and the make up matches from the previous week, but only brought enough money for two matches, one of the other new guys played his two matches but had no money with him. Neither had paid their yearly APA dues yet. The wife and I are again either scoring or playing.

Week 3...sure enough the new guy from week 1 has already been moved up to a 5/5 (and rightfully so), but he, the other two new guys and the new woman were no-shows, and were owing money. The LO took a player from another team (consensual) and gave him to us so we'd have four players for the night, but he was a 5/3 so we still couldn't make our 9-ball numbers equal 23 or less and played only four 9-ball matches that night. Scoring still shared between three players (including me trying to score a 9-ball and 8-ball match at the same time). The captain and me threw some extra money into the envelopes to try to make up for our teams paying shortcomings. I informed him that this is the last time I'm doing this.

Week 4...Got a call from my captain the morning of league saying he had to work late and wouldn't make league that night. Told me that LO and division rep was trying to find us players. I told him if they cannot find us at least two very low skill level players there was no longer a reason to continue, and he agreed. I got a text from the division rep a couple hours later saying they had found us one new player, a SL4/4. I texted her back and said we absolutely cannot use any new players over the skill level 2, and if I didn't hear back from them saying they had us one (or two), the wife and I would just stay home that night and save ourselves the trouble and money. No call or text....we stayed home.

So, that's how league is going for me....it's not going at all. It was a relief for the wife and I to disband the team as we did not enjoy our time with the Double Jeopardy league. I couldn't relax at all with all the scoring and it was hard to shoot when it came my time as I was a bundle of frustration and nerves.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just frustrated with the whole ordeal and the wasted funds.

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My team has had five SL5's for a few years, one of which has rightfully been raised to an SL6. Throughout this time, I had pretty much considered myself the second best player out of the bunch, or one of two just behind the SL6. As such, I would try and take on the tougher players in our matchups.

I have finally admitted to myself that I'm no longer the second or third best player out of that group. Another of that group is playing really strongly to start out this session.

My ego is good with that. I don't play anywhere near as much (or as well) as I used to. I'll play the lower level SL5's and beat up on the SL4's (or try to), and let the others do the heavy lifting.

:p

Last night was the first week I went with this tactic. The SL5 who has really progressed this session shut out her opponent (the opposing teams second best player last night), and I beat up on their SL4. Should have been a shut out but I followed an 8-ball in, grrrr. My buddy on the team pointed out that I made all the 8-balls in that match, lol...

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
My wife and I started back up in an APA league this session after a 3-year absence, and after the third week we had to disband the team.

The LO asked us if we wanted to play 8 or 9-ball. We said it didn't matter. Then we were asked if we would play on a Double Jeopardy league (which we had never done before), and we said we'd give it a try.

We were put on a roster with four other people of various skill levels, two of which were a husband/wife who had never played league before. The captain was a SL8/7 (9-ball, 8-ball). I was a 7/5, my wife a 4/4, another guy (new to APA) a 4/4, and the married newcomers.

First night out and the married couple didn't show up (they had already dropped out) and it was evident the newcomer to APA was a much better player than a SL4 and would probably soon be raised. The four remaining players tried to play two matches apiece, but couldn't in 9-ball as the numbers wouldn't have worked out. So, week 1 and we're already behind three matches, behind in the pay, and in desperate need of a vey low skill level player, preferably two. On top of that, the new guy didn't know how to score so the captain, my wife, and I either were playing or keeping score all night.

Week 2...the LO brought us over three new players, two 4/4's, and a woman with BCA experience also starting out as a 2/3. Things were looking up. The new woman played her nights matches and the make up matches from the previous week, but only brought enough money for two matches, one of the other new guys played his two matches but had no money with him. Neither had paid their yearly APA dues yet. The wife and I are again either scoring or playing.

Week 3...sure enough the new guy from week 1 has already been moved up to a 5/5 (and rightfully so), but he, the other two new guys and the new woman were no-shows, and were owing money. The LO took a player from another team (consensual) and gave him to us so we'd have four players for the night, but he was a 5/3 so we still couldn't make our 9-ball numbers equal 23 or less and played only four 9-ball matches that night. Scoring still shared between three players (including me trying to score a 9-ball and 8-ball match at the same time). The captain and me threw some extra money into the envelopes to try to make up for our teams paying shortcomings. I informed him that this is the last time I'm doing this.

Week 4...Got a call from my captain the morning of league saying he had to work late and wouldn't make league that night. Told me that LO and division rep was trying to find us players. I told him if they cannot find us at least two very low skill level players there was no longer a reason to continue, and he agreed. I got a text from the division rep a couple hours later saying they had found us one new player, a SL4/4. I texted her back and said we absolutely cannot use any new players over the skill level 2, and if I didn't hear back from them saying they had us one (or two), the wife and I would just stay home that night and save ourselves the trouble and money. No call or text....we stayed home.

So, that's how league is going for me....it's not going at all. It was a relief for the wife and I to disband the team as we did not enjoy our time with the Double Jeopardy league. I couldn't relax at all with all the scoring and it was hard to shoot when it came my time as I was a bundle of frustration and nerves.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just frustrated with the whole ordeal and the wasted funds.

Maniac

Was the flaky roster the reason for the frustration?

A session or two ago I agreed to captain a team at a host location that I didn't know. I was told they were enthused and had a bunch of people ready to play.
So the first night I get to the bar ready to pick 7 other players from the promised hoard, there was 2 people there, no cues, totally unprepared to play (or pay)
and the other team is already there in it's entirety with family and friends. The bar owner shows up with his cue and, he is able to draft the bartender and a waitress,
nice guy, but not terribly forthright.

I asked him about the people that were supposed to be there, he has many excuses but no additional players. During the night I find out that no one wants to
stay past 9:30 or 10:00 at the latest, no one wants to play at any other locations, no one wanted to have to pay a membership fee, weekly fee or pay for the table.
OK, I agreed to captain this team, for this session so I'll stick with it.

During that session I considered myself fortunate to get 5 players there for any league night. Needless to say we didn't do very well, there were several other
issues in addition to those mentioned,

I understand your frustration. What helped me was that I had an actual team on another night of the week.

I think a lot of new people show up and think they'll play a game or two, have a beer or two and cut out. They have no idea that there is a membership fee,
a weekly fee, that there are other people depending on you, rules, typically it's not what you played in the basement as a kid. For them it "way too serious"

Maybe new players / teams / host locations should have some sort of orientation and be required to pay the membership fee before ever showing up to league that first night.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Was the flaky roster the reason for the frustration?

That and the fact that nobody would show up with any money in their pockets. Then there was the LO/division rep sending us players of SL4 or 5 when we already had a problem making the 23-rule limit. They should have known that they weren't helping our problem. All they had to do was simply add our skill levels and realize we were in dire need of a SL2. Two SL2's would have been even better if me and the captain both were ever going to play an 8 or 9-ball match on the same night.

Maniac (back to the local tourneys for me)

goombavskoopa

Registered
played in local qualifiers last night (1st round).

We played 75443

put up our best 4, goes out and win against a 3, 3-0
they put up a 4, i match them I go out and win 3-0
we put up a 5, they throw out a very under handicapped 6. loses 0-2
they throw up a 3 (????) we put up our 3, slaughters her 3-0.

we play today a 130PM and 530PM EST. I'll keep you gentleman and ladies posted as we to thru the tournament.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well folks, league and/or local tournaments are off the table completely for a while. Yesterday, my wife was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and I'm going to be spending all my time and energy taking care of her and getting her back to a healthy life.

Priorities!!!

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Well folks, league and/or local tournaments are off the table completely for a while. Yesterday, my wife was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and I'm going to be spending all my time and energy taking care of her and getting her back to a healthy life.

Priorities!!!

Maniac

Damn!!! So sorry to hear this, best to your wife (and to you). Good luck!

GoldenFlash

Banned
Leagues are good for the game.

I really enjoy reading the league reports and the accounts of what happened.
Sure is a lot better than reading all that old BS about "who robbed who" at some crummy pool gambling den where everybody was ready to blast away with their guns. , etc. etc.
Keep up the good work is my final comment!

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Last session I was 9 ball top gun, this session I cant run 3 balls. My shot making is so bad right now Im frustrated to no end. I dont know whats going on. Ive been doing the Zero-x drills and I think Im getting worse.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Priorities!!!

Maniac

I hate to hear that maniac..i wish her a speedy recovery..

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit league and haven't screwed my cue together in 2 months. I'm sure I will miss it eventually but not yet. Completely lost my killer instinct and being the highest rated player on the team is not a good mix. Finished out the session and told them I was done.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Priorities!!!

Maniac

I wish your wife a speedy recovery. You've certainly got your priorities in line.

Koop

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I quit league and haven't screwed my cue together in 2 months. I'm sure I will miss it eventually but not yet. Completely lost my killer instinct and being the highest rated player on the team is not a good mix. Finished out the session and told them I was done.
You know, I took 2 years off from leagues. I have always been the highest rated player on every team I was on -- but next year I have the opportunity to play on a different team, where the top player in the league will be on the team. That should be a nice change, where there is actually someone that might motivate me to play even better. I am looking forward to it.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A really stupid senior moment mistake might have caught me the match in my NAPL individual 9 Ball match today. I had 3 games on the wire and the 8 ball. In one game I have a very easy 8 ball shot. I make it forgetting I have the 8 ball as a handicap so I go for the 9 and miss. My opponent makes the nine. That's when I realize I should have won. We asked the league operator. He said normally if the 8 or 9 is obvious you don't have to call it. However since I then went for the nine it meant I didn't mean to get the eight to win so my opponent gets the win.