How Reyes got so good in 3 cushion billiards...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reyes said that he had to quick playing pocket billiards at one point because he couldn't get any action anymore. Hard to believe from a country where players lived and die in action!

So he turned to 3 cushion... and got so good in it too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzpoHZR0W8

I don’t know that he has any significant three cushion experience. He’s just awesome and can get into a three cushion match, 14.1, snooker, and probably Pyramids. His other main game was 18.2 balkline, not 3C according to anything I’ve read up on him. Do you have a reference?

Freddie <~~~ can barely get to one cushion

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I don’t know that he has any significant three cushion experience. He’s just awesome and can get into a three cushion match, 14.1, snooker, and probably Pyramids. His other main game was 18.2 balkline, not 3C according to anything I’ve read up on him. Do you have a reference?

Freddie <~~~ can barely get to one cushion

reyes is on vid in an interview with some woman saying balkline is his favorite game

18.2 is what the americans called it back when they still played it

its known as 47.2 in europe and asia where its played today

47cm, roughly 18.5 inches
2 points per zone

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
The shot at 2:07 is just ridiculous.

was good enough for a cue tap from the 5x world champ that also holds 44 world cup titles

so yea, it was nice ;)
rail first is always much harder

what might be more impressive is the 160k views this vid got in the day it was published

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
the description is strange

Efren Manalang Reyes, is a Filipino professional pool player. A winner of over 70 international titles, Reyes is the first man in history to win World Championships in two different disciplines.

ceulemans held multiple world titles in multiple disciplines of carom in the 80s

if he means reyes won a carom world title, i think not, but am wrong all the time

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Perhaps it meant; billiards and pocket-billiards as disciplines?

While I watch billiards on occasion, the commentary is often not in English so it becomes hard to follow the events. I tend to pay more attention to the players fundamentals than the overarching rivalries and history between players and events.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
the description is strange

Efren Manalang Reyes, is a Filipino professional pool player. A winner of over 70 international titles, Reyes is the first man in history to win World Championships in two different disciplines.

ceulemans held multiple world titles in multiple disciplines of carom in the 80s

if he means reyes won a carom world title, i think not, but am wrong all the time

A topic that arises from time to time on the forum is whether the Johnston City events were world championships. For those that say they were, Harold Worst would be counted as a world champion in both pool and three cushion.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
A topic that arises from time to time on the forum is whether the Johnston City events were world championships. For those that say they were, Harold Worst would be counted as a world champion in both pool and three cushion.

Worst did win the world 3c championship in argentina
In 1954 which by some accounts is a non offical world Championship itself

I never knew johnston city had 3c going on

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Watched it to the end

If the title of the thing didnt make you aware the uploader is full of shit lol

He goes to the 71.2 match with reyes and ceulemans
Calling it carome and carombole or that scoring is restricted

Doest know the first thing about balkline
Doesn't mention the size of the balklines or that there are 3 versions of the game

Doesnt say a thing about 1 cushion which reyes is playing at the end

I attempted to get reyes to play me in a balkline match when he was touring playing pool with people while he was at bogies
They didnt wanna do it, that would have been a awesome experience

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Efren won the consolation tournament in a world tournament ,,,Chicago...early 90s?
.....they said he played 3-cushion like a pool player
Next week he won a 9-ball tournament....
...they said he played 9-ball like a 3-cushion player

Vaguely recalled from Billiards Digest....anyone remember more details?