New shaft from OB

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin on the move. New shaft out from OB called Phoenix. It is a standard all wood shaft that is "Torrified".

Definition from Sweetwater.com...

"Osmosis resistant. Torrified (also spelled “torrefied”) wood neither swells up during humid summer months nor dries out due to dry winter air. Torrified wood will not shrink, warp, expand, or contract due to changing weather or humidity levels.

Torrified wood has been heat treated or roasted until it has nearly 0% internal moisture. The wood will not reabsorb moisture because its structure has been altered as a result of the heating process. This is not a chemical process, and it affects the wood all the way through, to its core. The wood can be sanded, shaped, cut, or otherwise processed — or even scratched or dented — without losing the effects of the treatment. The heat treatment can also enhance the visual appeal of the wood.

Several guitar manufacturers have begun using torrified maple necks on their instruments"

I wonder if this process affects the feel or sound of the hit? Website says it does change the sound. I'm not looking to get a carbon fiber anytime soon, but this sounds interesting to me, and those that prefer the qualities of wood.

Last edited:

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds interesting wonder if they’re going to be at the expo I’ll give it a try

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would be interesting to try out.

I like weird shaft woods. A buddy had a cue with shafts made from really old maple mop handles. The shafts were so naturally dark, and had a cool grain that seemed highlighted by age. They hit different for sure. Was a harder, sharper hit. They moved the ball well too.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that description of the wood - how would one fix the dents in the shaft?

on my shafts I swell them out with an iron and water... this sounds like it won't work with this wood

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that description of the wood - how would one fix the dents in the shaft?

on my shafts I swell them out with an iron and water... this sounds like it won't work with this wood

img.axd

:thumbup:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
the more OB does, the more unoriginal they really are. like their first shaft and its overly laminated process, now drying out wood to 0%, which basically takes out any integrity and stability the wood had, and the effect on the weight would be off as well. He just needs to make a solid shaft, offer options that others don't, like the size of the shaft, offer more than 12.75 and 11.75, who decided these are the sizes shafts need to be, I know a lot of guys who want a 12mm, 12.3mm, 12.6mm, 11.5mm. variety so a cusrtomer can customize his playing cue would be a better business idea than some silly shit like turning good wood into BBQ wood. If I had the money and the contacts Ide start a company myself. at this point all shaft companies caught up with predator, theyre all pretty damn good, even players hxt shafts are decent for the price. reliability and availability and a better price point. who the **** wants to pay 500 for a shaft.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the more OB does, the more unoriginal they really are. like their first shaft and its overly laminated process, now drying out wood to 0%, which basically takes out any integrity and stability the wood had, and the effect on the weight would be off as well. He just needs to make a solid shaft, offer options that others don't, like the size of the shaft, offer more than 12.75 and 11.75, who decided these are the sizes shafts need to be, I know a lot of guys who want a 12mm, 12.3mm, 12.6mm, 11.5mm. variety so a cusrtomer can customize his playing cue would be a better business idea than some silly shit like turning good wood into BBQ wood. If I had the money and the contacts Ide start a company myself. at this point all shaft companies caught up with predator, theyre all pretty damn good, even players hxt shafts are decent for the price. reliability and availability and a better price point. who the **** wants to pay 500 for a shaft.

Your very first sentence gives evidence of your dislike of OB products. So everything after that is suspect.

I would ask you to try one before you can make such a statement. Provide some evidence please. Why would a guitar manufacturer use this process if it ruined the integrity of the neck? Remember.... a guitar when strung has a lot of force. And the necks are not warping.

I do believe they are solid maple. No pie peices. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm not sure whatever you meant by the $500 price tag. Referring to Carbon fiber shafts?

i withhold judgement until I try one... as should anyone.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Mark Griffin on the move. New shaft out from OB called Phoenix. It is a standard all wood shaft that is "Torrified".

"Osmosis resistant. Torrified (also spelled “torrefied”) wood neither swells up during humid summer months nor dries out due to dry winter air. Torrified wood will not shrink, warp, expand, or contract due to changing weather or humidity levels.

Torrified wood has been heat treated or roasted until it has nearly 0% internal moisture. The wood will not reabsorb moisture because its structure has been altered as a result of the heating process. This is not a chemical process, and it affects the wood all the way through, to its core.

And some can read this and conclude it makes the wood less stable

Sent from the future.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your very first sentence gives evidence of your dislike of OB products. So everything after that is suspect.

I would ask you to try one before you can make such a statement. Provide some evidence please. Why would a guitar manufacturer use this process if it ruined the integrity of the neck? Remember.... a guitar when strung has a lot of force. And the necks are not warping.

I do believe they are solid maple. No pie peices. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm not sure whatever you meant by the $500 price tag. Referring to Carbon fiber shafts?

i withhold judgement until I try one... as should anyone.

I agree with what you said but he ended with a good pt - about paying $500 + for a good shaft

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Words like, new, latest, greatest, and hype are wonderful sales tools. Wonder what is next Magic Fair Dust Chalk. There are time Pool Player are like fisherman, always in the hunt for the next greatest Lure, Spinner, or Fly to catch Mody Dick Bass or Trout.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,791
Last edited:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wooden shafts

I like wooden shafts and own three Diveny Lake Salvage shafts and one of his Kiel Wood shafts. The Lake Salvage seem to give a stiffer hit for me.

That OB shaft has my interest as I like hitting balls with other shafts, but so far I have found nothing else I want to change to in the last six years.

So many shafts, so little time, etc.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Torrified wood has been heat treated or roasted until it has nearly 0% internal moisture. The wood will not reabsorb moisture because its structure has been altered as a result of the heating process. This is not a chemical process, and it affects the wood all the way through, to its core. The wood can be sanded, shaped, cut, or otherwise processed — or even scratched or dented — without losing the effects of the treatment. The heat treatment can also enhance the visual appeal of the wood.

Several guitar manufacturers have begun using torrified maple necks on their instruments"

I wonder if this process affects the feel or sound of the hit? Website says it does change the sound. I'm not looking to get a carbon fiber anytime soon, but this sounds interesting to me, and those that prefer the qualities of wood.

I, for one, would not want a shaft with that kind of wood!
How would you get rid of a simple little dent?
With normal wood you can hold a wetted cuetip on the dent and it will rise out.
THen push it back down with a shot glass.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Talked to one of the guys on FB about them, essentially its like same process as making keil wood just a different manufacture company. Basically stabilizing the wood with resin and kiln drying. Shafts are going to be darker but not as dark as Pat Deviney's keil wood shafts. This is just what I have heard so don't shoot the messenger if I am incorrect.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I recently got Josey Java shaft, its kielwood variation and its amazing hitting shaft, low deflection and I like it more than fiber.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting

Sounds similar to a process wood turners use to turn very fragile materials.

It also sounds like the structure of the wood is changed to the extent that it is no longer natural wood. The resin is the important material and the wood is replacing the carbon fiber in carbon fiber shafts. Seems that this is a way to get synthetic shafts into the hands of people that have an aversion to synthetic shafts.

The question is how does the structure of this highly processed wood compare to the structure of the carbon fiber shafts? Some people are going to have to pay to find out.

Hu

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds similar to a process wood turners use to turn very fragile materials.

It also sounds like the structure of the wood is changed to the extent that it is no longer natural wood. The resin is the important material and the wood is replacing the carbon fiber in carbon fiber shafts. Seems that this is a way to get synthetic shafts into the hands of people that have an aversion to synthetic shafts.

The question is how does the structure of this highly processed wood compare to the structure of the carbon fiber shafts? Some people are going to have to pay to find out.

Hu

Or... as mentioned above.. demo them at SBE? Not sure if OB is going to be there, but it would be a mistake if they didnt.

I'm curious about this shaft also. Would love to try one without dropping the money first.