9ft vs 7ft

PhishPhan1995

Registered
Hello Guys I have read through other threads on this subject but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

I'm trying to decide between a 9ft or a 7ft .

Im not sure which size to buy i have the room for the 9 but in 22 years of playing have shot on a 9ft table 20 times.

99% of my play is on 7ft diamonds for league play one place has a valley the rest of them have diamonds in my area. My home place is a pool hall they have 12 7ft diamonds and 3 9ft diamonds .

On one hand I feel like if you can play good on a 9ft the 7ft will seem easier during league night and tournaments. But then again will the balls being less crowded on the 9 effect how i play on the 7ft and effect my game?

I'm sure a lot of you have dealt with this same question and when i plan on buying a BN diamond I want to be sure I buy once cry once. Thanks

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Small table can only really enjoy rotation
Big one you can enjoy all the games
Imo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most would say go 9, bit the theory of practicing on what you will play on is very real.

I don't think you'd really go wrong with either.

Any pool is better than no pool and having a table at home is awesome.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion...

If you are quite dedicated to the idea of improving your game, training and putting in the time...get that 9-foot table. It will be different than a 7’ in the ways you’ve mentioned but your improvements will translate more 9 -> 7 than the other way around.

If you are more in it for the fun factor of pool and plan on using the table to entertain others...stick with the 7’ table. I feel like nobody should “casually” go into a 9’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the idea that you practice on the size table you play on. If you play on 7 then buy that. You can practice league 8 and 9 ball.
I personally only practice on 9 ft table. If I then shoot on a 7 ft table the shots all look so easy. But, you can still do position practice on any size table.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I compete quite a bit on bar tables but I NEVER practice on them as I have a 9 footer at home. I've never felt like I needed to practice on a bar table. Ever.

There's things you can do on a 9 footer to emulate a bar table but not the other way around. For instance, to prepare for a bar table 8 ball tourney you can position all the balls within a diamond of the side pocket. This gives you similar congestion to a bar table.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 9' table and be done with it.

You can always do half table drills before playing on a 7' to get used to tighter quarters but, there isn't much you can do on a 7' table to prepare you for a 9' table.

Jeff

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for the 9 ft. Your stroke will improve on the big table. It will have to and that is a good thing for all games. I always like to loosen up on a 9 to get in stroke

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Definately 9 foot. The smaller tables were invented for.people and places without room for full size tables. You don't have that problem. I admit I don't have the "I play leagues on a little table" issue to consider but I have no interest in owning a smaller table.
c3436e73d20245cb9b162403a3b7b2df.jpg

Sent from the future.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys I have read through other threads on this subject but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

Im not sure which size to buy i have the room for the 9 but in 22 years of playing have shot on a 9ft table 20 times.

99% of my play is on 7ft diamonds for league play one place has a valley the rest of them have diamonds in my area. My home place is a pool hall they have 12 7ft diamonds and 3 9ft diamonds .

On one hand I feel like if you can play good on a 9ft the 7ft will seem easier during league night and tournaments. But then again will the balls being less crowded on the 9 effect how i play on the 7ft and effect my game?

I'm sure a lot of you have dealt with this same question and when i plan on buying a BN diamond I want to be sure I buy once cry once. Thanks

I'll just tell you what I did. I went with a Pro-Am 8 ft. Specifically, its an oversized 8ft.(I believe this is how Diamond makes all of them) Its the perfect in between table. 7 footers look small when you step to them, and nines don't look big.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Playing on a nine foot table is more enjoyable, IMO

As for guests, they can find a 7'er anywhere. Playing at your place on the nine will be a more unique, challenging and rewarding experience for them.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 foot diamond and play pool league on a 7 ft Diamond.

Couple nights ago my opponent left the eight ball in the jaws and I had to come with a full table shot on the 15 and it felt like child’s play.

Get the nine footer for sure

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'll just tell you what I did. I went with a Pro-Am 8 ft. Specifically, its an oversized 8ft.(I believe this is how Diamond makes all of them) Its the perfect in between table. 7 footers look small when you step to them, and nines don't look big.

This is what I would do.

That said, if you definitely have room for a 9' table, without the hassle of using short cues in some spots or bumping into things on tables/shelves with the butt of your cue, then I recommend the 9' table.

If your space is really tight with a 9-footer, trust me, you will greatly appreciate the extra room a smaller table will give you.

Good luck in your choice.

Maniac

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMHO, playing on a small table is reminiscent of when I was little and had to wear short pants. If your local room indeed has full sized equipment, then maybe it’s time to put on long trousers and go play with the ‘big kids’ (?).

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Undoubtedly a 9’ foot table if you have the proper space. Having a 9 foot Gold Crown has always been my dream. Running a 100+ balls playing Straight Pool is my goal. A 7 foot table doesn’t work for me. On the other hand my brother does not have the room for a 9 footer and is really only interested in playing 8 ball and 9 ball. I’m looking for a 7 foot Diamond for him. It’s perfect for his needs. It all comes down to what works for you. A 9 footer is a no brainer if you have the room. If not a 7 footer. A pool table is better than no pool table.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums