bondo?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
A quick question... A local mechanic said that you can't use bondo on slates that had previously had been seamed with bee's wax, said it wouldn't adhere. Any comments?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

A quick question... A local mechanic said that you can't use bondo on slates that had previously had been seamed with bee's wax, said it wouldn't adhere. Any comments?

-

He is correct, you can't get bondo to stick to wax... Nothing will stick to wax but wax...
The wax will need to be removed to use bondo and liquid dowels. <~ highly suggested that you do.

I tried many ways of removing beeswax, it's a pain in the ass until you find the way that works like Sunday morning.

Rob.M

realkingcobra

Silver Member
-

He is correct, you can't get bondo to stick to wax... Nothing will stick to wax but wax...
The wax will need to be removed to use bondo and liquid dowels. <~ highly suggested that you do.

I tried many ways of removing beeswax, it's a pain in the ass until you find the way that works like Sunday morning.

Rob.M

Turpentine and a rag, wipes the wax right off:D

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Mine was originally waxed. I used heat to get most of it off then lacquer thinner to get the rest cleaned off. It worked, so far.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips guys, I've also heard about the turpentine, just wanted to make sure before I tried it the next time I recover my table.