What's needed for a successful league?

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Hey all. I posted this thread in the Pool Hall owner section trying to get some feedback. I saw something where folks were talking about alcohol, but not food. Please click on the link and let me know something there or here. I haven't gotten a response, so I'm trying in a different section. Thanks.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=425544

Mr. Moderator, if I did a bad thing, my bad.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shoutout33...i read your other post. Yes is is possible to have a pool league without alcohol. There are a fairly high percentage of league players who don't drink. They are in all the national leagues (APA, VNEA, TAP, BCAPL, etc). Sounds to me like you want to start an in-house league that plays all matches out of one room. Nothing wrong with that. You will be limited to 2 teams per table. What makes a successful league? Try to cater to the people in the league, rather than the room owner. Try to be consistent with with whatever rule set you choose to play with. Stress sportsmanship above all else. BTW, to have an APA Masters league you have to have the support of the local APA LO. He/she will tell you what's necessary. Good luck with your efforts. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hey all. I posted this thread in the Pool Hall owner section trying to get some feedback. I saw something where folks were talking about alcohol, but not food. Please click on the link and let me know something there or here. I haven't gotten a response, so I'm trying in a different section. Thanks.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=425544

Mr. Moderator, if I did a bad thing, my bad.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have enough strong players apa masters is a great format and the logistics are in place for you. What do you need food and beer for, to play worse?

I love real pool halls, wishing you good luck!

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stay out of the poolroom when leagues play. They are a different breed of player and I'd surely like to voice my opinion of them, which it isn't good. But, I'm thankful for every pool league and member because in most poolrooms, they are paying the bills. I know their leaders work hard to make it a success and sacrifice their time to accomplish that. Good luck on your league adventures and may you see a reward for your hard work.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I think any format will work. It's not the game, it's the management of the League.

1. Written rules and By-Laws!
2. If any, a FAIR handicap system!
3. A league operator that gets paid for their services!
4. An end result to play in. League championships or Las Vegas Nationals. That means the league must be sanctioned by someone!
5. If cash payback, then to all teams that participate. Not just the top guns!
6. A great environment with good equipment!

randyg

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
shoutout33...i read your other post. Yes is is possible to have a pool league without alcohol. There are a fairly high percentage of league players who don't drink. They are in all the national leagues (APA, VNEA, TAP, BCAPL, etc). Sounds to me like you want to start an in-house league that plays all matches out of one room. Nothing wrong with that. You will be limited to 2 teams per table. What makes a successful league? Try to cater to the people in the league, rather than the room owner. Try to be consistent with with whatever rule set you choose to play with. Stress sportsmanship above all else. BTW, to have an APA Masters league you have to have the support of the local APA LO. He/she will tell you what's necessary. Good luck with your efforts. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Thank's Scott! What about the food part? Is it not needed as well? Right now, I just have the owners blessing in trying to start a league and bring players. Oh, forgot to add that it would be an APA Masters league we'd try to start.

Last edited:

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
I stay out of the poolroom when leagues play. They are a different breed of player and I'd surely like to voice my opinion of them, which it isn't good. But, I'm thankful for every pool league and member because in most poolrooms, they are paying the bills. I know their leaders work hard to make it a success and sacrifice their time to accomplish that. Good luck on your league adventures and may you see a reward for your hard work.

Thanks Buckzapper!

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
I think any format will work. It's not the game, it's the management of the League.

1. Written rules and By-Laws!
2. If any, a FAIR handicap system!
3. A league operator that gets paid for their services!
4. An end result to play in. League championships or Las Vegas Nationals. That means the league must be sanctioned by someone!
5. If cash payback, then to all teams that participate. Not just the top guns!
6. A great environment with good equipment!

randyg

Thanks RandyG! The reason for wanting to try the masters league, is because both my friend and I are tired of APA's BS handicap system. If I understand it correctly, it's like playing in a BCA league, but you get APA benefits. I'm hoping to appeal to folks that want to improve their game and get better, reguardless of the level. Hell, I'd enter back as a 4 and I'd play a 7 all day everyday, especially on these type of tables. Well, probably said that backwards, but I hope you get my point. You have to bring your A game AT ALL TIMES!!! If it's not good enough, practice and keep playing to get better. I also like the 3 man team concept too.

Kracken

Belly Hooked
I feel that you need attendance by players, a posted schedule, and consistent application of the rules by league operator. My local pool hall has a league that allows players to play anytime before the next week's match and states a penalty for not playing before that time but never disciplines for fear of losing players. In fact they have lost players because they don't apply the rules. There is nothing worse that wasting time waiting for your match to show.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks RandyG! The reason for wanting to try the masters league, is because both my friend and I are tired of APA's BS handicap system. If I understand it correctly, it's like playing in a BCA league, but you get APA benefits. I'm hoping to appeal to folks that want to improve their game and get better, reguardless of the level. Hell, I'd enter back as a 4 and I'd play a 7 all day everyday, especially on these type of tables. Well, probably said that backwards, but I hope you get my point. You have to bring your A game AT ALL TIMES!!! If it's not good enough, practice and keep playing to get better. I also like the 3 man team concept too.

I happened to join masters back when I was a s/l 4. I did learn things when i was not busy being a rack boy.

I really don't think a masters only league will be successful but I wish you luck. It's been my experience that too many players would rather not play a non handicapped match.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
An in-house, non-alcoholic league is great for introducing younger players (under 21)
to the wonderful world of billiards. Novices can learn much from experienced players
without intimidation.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shoutout33...I don't think you need food either. Does the owner have any qualms about people bringing their own food in?...since he doesn't sell food. I know of lots of league locations that don't sell food, but allow people to bring in pizzas, burgers or whatever. As long as you clean up your mess, I don't see anything wrong with that. Did you say your place sells soft drinks? If not, they should put in a couple vending machines. :thumbup: Check out APA Masters...you will still have to be an APA member, which means (iirc) that you have to have a rating...which means you have to play in the regular league too, to play in the Masters. Someone will correct me if this is not true.

Scott Lee

Thank's Scott! What about the food part? Is it not needed as well? Right now, I just have the owners blessing in trying to start a league and bring players. Oh, forgot to add that it would be an APA Masters league we'd try to start.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lorider...I know you already played regular APA league while you were playing in the masters division...but is there a requirement that you have to play on a regular team in order to play on a master's team?

Scott Lee

I happened to join masters back when I was a s/l 4. I did learn things when i was not busy being a rack boy.

I really don't think a masters only league will be successful but I wish you luck. It's been my experience that too many players would rather not play a non handicapped match.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lorider...I know you already played regular APA league while you were playing in the masters division...but is there a requirement that you have to play on a regular team in order to play on a master's team?

Scott Lee

There is no requirement to play a handicap division unless you want to go to Vegas . In other words you have to also play a handicap division n order to go to Vegas with a master team .

I have no idea why they have that rule in effect. I had a friend that played strictly masters and had tried to get him to join my handicapped team. One day he comes up and asks to join my team. I asked what. made him change his mind. He said he wanted to go to Vegas

I guess that is one way of getting higher level players to play in handicapped divisions

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about this subject, but that's never stopped me before, so...

If it's possible to have a successful pool hall without food or alcohol, there's no reason why a league cannot be successful in said pool hall. Especially, as Scott said, if the owner doesn't mind food being brought in by the players.

Best of luck to ya!