Players views on UPA and BCA leagues

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
What's up people? Here's the deal, I really want to try something different than the APA. Now, this is not about starting a flame war about the APA. I honestly just want to do something different, even if I have to start a new league. I'm interested in doing a 10-ball league. If the APA had one, I'd try and go through them, but they don't. (If they do please post a link.)

I'm asking these questions to get players point of view. For example, I hear that a lot of people won't play in BCA leagues because the same strong teams go there every year. I thought that there was a handicap with the BCA. I also heard that if you make to Vegas, there's NO HANDICAP AT ALL! Everything is played straight up. Again, this is what I heard, so it all can be BS.

As far as the UPA is concerned, I have a league owner in our area but haven't been able to link him up with the proprietor where I want to league to be played. So far I'm taking a liking to the UPA's system, but I'd rather get some honest real world opinions about it.

Again, any help and information you guys don't mind sharing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS- If someone has already asked this question, please post the link. I couldn't find anything on this at all.)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about upa so I will not comment on that leaague..as for bcapl....its entirely up to the lo bow his league is run so how ita played in one area has no bearing on another area.

Yes bcapl is handicapped at the local level and not at nationals but are put in different brackets based on your skill level. Another difference between the local level and nationals is that in most regions you play a round robin format and 8 ball is a points based game just like apa 9 ball.

If you prefer 10 ball look for a Napa league. Most areas offer laggers choice which means the winner of the lag gets to choose what game to play....8...9...or 10 ball. Lil bcapl its a call shot league and like apa its a race to your handicap. Pushouts and jump cues also allowed. In my opinion it combines the bed of what bcapl and apa offers.

Just my opinion of course.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPA is a call shot league too. Their handicaps go from 1 to 10. 10 is the cap, so just like in APA you might be a 20, but your ranking stops at the highest number. I am an APA 7 in 8 ball, a 9 in 9ball, a 10 in UPA, a 10 in VNEA, and I was a 12 in the old BCA league, where the top pros played as 15s. Actually the current BCAPL is handicapped too...that's what Fargorate is all about. It's just that it includes only 8 ball, 9 ball and 10 ball.

UPA is a franchise, just like APA. I'm not sure if BCAPL or USAPL have franchise fees or not. All league play is good...play in the ones you like best.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I know nothing about upa so I will not comment on that leaague..as for bcapl....its entirely up to the lo bow his league is run so how ita played in one area has no bearing on another area.

Yes bcapl is handicapped at the local level and not at nationals but are put in different brackets based on your skill level. Another difference between the local level and nationals is that in most regions you play a round robin format and 8 ball is a points based game just like apa 9 ball.

If you prefer 10 ball look for a Napa league. Most areas offer laggers choice which means the winner of the lag gets to choose what game to play....8...9...or 10 ball. Lil bcapl its a call shot league and like apa its a race to your handicap. Pushouts and jump cues also allowed. In my opinion it combines the bed of what bcapl and apa offers.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're looking for a 10-ball league, try NAPA. We have 10-ball league here and it's really taking off, I've turned teams away from our Bar, we have to many. People really seem to like the Handicap system and the format. If you would like our League Operators contact info, please PM me. Brian.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard some good things about NAPA, but I haven't had a chance to play in it yet.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

If you're looking for a 10-ball league, try NAPA. We have 10-ball league here and it's really taking off, I've turned teams away from our Bar, we have to many. People really seem to like the Handicap system and the format. If you would like our League Operators contact info, please PM me. Brian.

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Many thanks to EVERYONE for their input! It is greatly appreciated! I've been checking out the NAPA league on and off all night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks to EVERYONE for their input! It is greatly appreciated! I've been checking out the NAPA league on and off all night.

The number and and of stats they keep on players I unreal. Everything under the sun....and the moon. Yea....it tells you what your percentage is during each moon phase lol.

You van click on any Napa players name and you can see how you stack up against them comparing win percentages break and runs 9 on the snap etc etc etc.

The rules....handicaps and races are geared towards the more advanced players and quite a bit of strategy involved in picking which format to play if you win the lag.

Here is an example of strategy choosing what format to play. One night I won the lag and was going to choose 8 ball in a 5-2 race with me going to 5. My captain wanted me to choose 9 ball since it was a 4-3 race with me going to 3. 10 ball was a 4-4 toss up.
U captain thought I could win getting spotted a game in 9 ball however I knew the guy practiced nothing but 9 ball religiously and was better than me.

I was confident I could take him in 8 ball even though I had to spot him 3 games. Mu thought was 9 ball is slop and I could control the match better I. A call your shot match.

My captain relented and I won 5-0 . He never questioned my choice of game any more lol

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the current BCAPL is handicapped too...that's what Fargorate is all about......UPA is a franchise, just like APA. I'm not sure if BCAPL or USAPL have franchise fees or not.

The BCAPL does not mandate ANY format. Leagues are free to choose the game (8/9/10), format (team, singles), and handicapping. If you want to handicap then you can use Fargo rating or any other rating system.

The main advantage to BCAPL is that you can GET a Fargo rating for all your players by simply entering the game results into the Fargo system. The League Management System (LMS) will be rolled out very soon that will make entering games into Fargo very easy.

Fargo ratings are (hopefully) the wave of the future in pool handicapping.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with this. NAPA is the only league I play in now.

Love the format, rules, and the competition. The races just keep getting tougher and tougher. Players of all abilities can compete on an even playing field.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCAPL does not mandate ANY format. Leagues are free to choose the game (8/9/10), format (team, singles), and handicapping. If you want to handicap then you can use Fargo rating or any other rating system.

The main advantage to BCAPL is that you can GET a Fargo rating for all your players by simply entering the game results into the Fargo system. The League Management System (LMS) will be rolled out very soon that will make entering games into Fargo very easy.

Fargo ratings are (hopefully) the wave of the future in pool handicapping.

It seems like it's been "very soon" for a long time now. It didn't make it for this season's league in my area, and I can't imagine changing to use it in the middle of the season, so I guess it's going to be "next season" again.

We don't (as far as I know) use LeagueSys or whatever it's called, we just send our scores on paper to our league operator who puts out a weekly spreadsheet with the numbers. None of our games have ever gone into FargoRate as far as I know, because no one's score reflects any games unless they've played in the BCA Nationals or other similar events.