Why no press releases of McCreery 3C tourney on AZ?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, I've been watching the McCreery 3 cushion tournament the past week off and on.

http://www.mccreerychampionofchampions.com

-It has a bigger purse than any pool tournament since the IPT (I believe).
-It has an amazing production value
-It seems to be the first of an annual event
-It has the most famous older players, and best current players playing (I believe, as I'm just a D carom player and D carom fan)
-It has a bunch of famous (to pool) announcers such as Ted Lerner (WPA Rep), Jeanette Lee (hero of the banger pool population).

With all the above items, it seems to me the promoters are trying to present this game to more than only carom fans.... either hardcore pool fans like us, or the banger pool population by bringing The Widow on board.

Yet, I don't see a peep of any press releases on the main AZB page. If it was not for the forum and a few of the 3C forum member fanatics, I would have never known about it. Also the only thing on FB I found about it was through the Kozoom page.

I am aware that AZB can only publish what they receive from promoters.

Thoughts on lack of coverage?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, I've been watching the McCreery 3 cushion tournament the past week off and on.

http://www.mccreerychampionofchampions.com

-It has a bigger purse than any pool tournament since the IPT (I believe).
-It has an amazing production value
-It seems to be the first of an annual event
-It has the most famous older players, and best current players playing (I believe, as I'm just a D carom player and D carom fan)
-It has a bunch of famous (to pool) announcers such as Ted Lerner (WPA Rep), Jeanette Lee (hero of the banger pool population).

With all the above items, it seems to me the promoters are trying to present this game to more than only carom fans.... either hardcore pool fans like us, or the banger pool population by bringing The Widow on board.

Yet, I don't see a peep of any press releases on the main AZB page. If it was not for the forum and a few of the 3C forum member fanatics, I would have never known about it. Also the only thing on FB I found about it was through the Kozoom page.

I am aware that AZB can only publish what they receive from promoters.

Thoughts on lack of coverage?

It is also only being held at a private residence with no fans in attendance, right? :eek:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
It is an absolute gift to the billiards world and it should be supported more.

The video quality and level of play is amazing. Runs of 19,18...the other thing is that is obvious that the players REALLY want to do well in this. You can see the emotion on their faces in every game. These guys are professionals in the best sense of the word and take their craft very serious.

Imagine if this wasn't a carom game and there was a chance for someone to support pool and make it bigger than the US Open?

IPT was a scam and died, but I still think there is hope is we can get some benefactors like this and maybe allow sport betting since the rules may have changed.

I know the Vegas deal with betting and what happened back in the day. No need to go over that again.

Darts and snooker figured it out so I don't think it's impossible.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It is also only being held at a private residence with no fans in attendance, right? :eek:

That's right. It's a private event held at a Long Island estate and no spectators are permitted. High prize money alone does not necessary merit media coverage.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
That's right. It's a private event held at a Long Island estate and no spectators are permitted. High prize money alone does not necessary merit media coverage.

everything the op stated is not enough either it seems for media coverage

making this one of if not the single greatest event in billiards, ever
which should merit coverage as they are attempting mass appeal with the pool people commenting and free coverage

imo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, that is true. But, I assume them must have wanted major coverage. Albeit internet coverage, not in-person fan attendance.

As a purely uneducated guess, I want to say the promoter spent 3 million USD on this event.

He did:
-adding an addition to his mansion customized for this event
-3 custom top notch carom tables
-Superb camera systems
-Superb streaming (by a first timer, I believe, no less)
-brought in all the top players
-Full staff per match of refs, score keepers, technical people, etc
-Full staff of commentators
-Superb website (at least as far as pool goes)
-600k Prize money (I think this was the least of the backer's expense, IMO)

All of the above was first class. Not a fly by night operation. Why would he do all of the above (especially the media related things), if he did not want the public to know about it?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I doubt we will get "mainstream media" coverage. I meant more pool/billiards/carom/snooker media coverage. I see nothing except on kozoom. This is a cue sport. Every one of us fanatic pool players knows about 3 cushion and has probably played it at some point. This event is bigger than almost anything that has come before in *any* cue sport discipline. That alone should make the non-carom pool sports media outlets cover it.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that is true. But, I assume them must have wanted major coverage. Albeit internet coverage, not in-person fan attendance.

As a purely uneducated guess, I want to say the promoter spent 3 million USD on this event.

He did:
-adding an addition to his mansion customized for this event
-3 custom top notch carom tables
-Superb camera systems
-Superb streaming (by a first timer, I believe, no less)
-brought in all the top players
-Full staff per match of refs, score keepers, technical people, etc
-Full staff of commentators
-Superb website (at least as far as pool goes)
-600k Prize money (I think this was the least of the backer's expense, IMO)

All of the above was first class. Not a fly by night operation. Why would he do all of the above (especially the media related things), if he did not want the public to know about it?

"Superb streaming (by a first timer, I believe, no less)"

Isn't it Kazoom?! Or are they just hosting a 3rd party stream through their site?

Just got back in country today and caught the last round. Nice stream. Sayinger & Kurt Ceulomons were announcing great. Can't stand Lerner but whatever.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
no its not by KOZOOM

the mcreery people are in charge of it, streaming from thier site
and KOZOOM is 3rd part host from thier site

2 sites to view from

Azazello

Registered
It's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

What a collection of talent, no genius, the 12 best on the planet.
And the venue is sick. Who makes those tables, with all that gold on them ?
One cool thing, there's a light under the table that glows either white or yellow depending on which cue ball the shooter is shooting. Some of us could have used those back in the day, in case we got too drunk and forgot which ball was ours.
I look forward to tomorrow, Jaspers v. Merckx, Caudron v. Sayginer and then the final.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no its not by KOZOOM

the mcreery people are in charge of it, streaming from thier site
and KOZOOM is 3rd part host from thier site

2 sites to view from

Right. And whoever is in charge of the video production, knows what they are doing. Do you all remember the ESPN pool coverage in the 1990's where the camera had no clue what the player was going to do, and would follow the CB around the table?

Or how about the Galveston "1 Million dollar" (ha ha) one pocket tournament that Efren won in about 2010 or so. They brought in a professional camera crew, that had no clue about pool. The camera was following the object balls into the pocket. The first match was Efren vs Parica, and we all wanted to sweat it. The camera crew made it impossible. It was not until someone from the forums texted Helfert, who was there, what was going on, that Helfert made the cameraman change to a fixed view of the table so we could at least follow along.

There is none of that amateur stuff with this event. That's what I mean by it was first class all the way. Its their first time, and I don't see any issues thus far. Hell, even the matches start on time!

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a collection of talent, no genius, the 12 best on the planet.
And the venue is sick. Who makes those tables, with all that gold on them ?
One cool thing, there's a light under the table that glows either white or yellow depending on which cue ball the shooter is shooting. Some of us could have used those back in the day, in case we got too drunk and forgot which ball was ours.
I look forward to tomorrow, Jaspers v. Merckx, Caudron v. Sayginer and then the final.

That gold thing on the tables is so sweet, IMO. Its just enough to be classy, and not gaudy. I'm guessing they had the table company custom make it. I'm probably wrong, as I know very little about carom tables.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Right. And whoever is in charge of the video production, knows what they are doing. !

Ill say that for those of us who are regular KOZOOM style broadcasts
It leaves much to be desired, we usually get to choose and view 1 of 4 or more matches to watch, the switching to other games mid games really is not great for us thay want to watch an entire match

The big runs were not seen in full due to this

BUT
Good to know that you think its going great
Means they are pleasing non regular viewers which im sure is something they want to do

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
don't no a thing about 3 cushion, that's the game with 3 balls, right?
what has my attention is,
The tournament's sixty-nine matches will showcase technological innovations that
include billiard tables equipped with sensors on the surface and in the rails; powerful
officiating tools that enable rapid, complex and detailed review; a new sports data
monitoring system; and high frame-rate cameras.

couldn't find any links to the show, website is pretty nip and tuck, tight,
maybe for a reason

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Trying to get news from the world of 3-Cushion is like trying to pry a quarter out of a child's hand. And it isn't limited to just 3-cushion. I can't count the number of tournament directors who don't bother to keep scores of matches ("I don't know anyone would care about that") and have to be called over and over just to get a little info that can be used to write up a report for an event.

One problem is that it seems like most promoters/directors see their job as planning/running the tourney and then they are done.

Another problem though is that I believe a number of these people want the game to continue to exist in the small world that it does. I have no idea why this is, but it sure seems that way.

I have heard from others that they posted during their tournament on Facebook, and they apparently feel that is enough exposure.

Don't get me wrong. There are some great regional tours who either get us a report, or enough info to write a report, first thing Monday morning if not earlier. Those are few and far between though.

Skip (our writer) and I have been searching for a solution to this issue for a long time.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to get news from the world of 3-Cushion is like trying to pry a quarter out of a child's hand. And it isn't limited to just 3-cushion. I can't count the number of tournament directors who don't bother to keep scores of matches ("I don't know anyone would care about that") and have to be called over and over just to get a little info that can be used to write up a report for an event.

One problem is that it seems like most promoters/directors see their job as planning/running the tourney and then they are done.

Another problem though is that I believe a number of these people want the game to continue to exist in the small world that it does. I have no idea why this is, but it sure seems that way.

I have heard from others that they posted during their tournament on Facebook, and they apparently feel that is enough exposure.

Don't get me wrong. There are some great regional tours who either get us a report, or enough info to write a report, first thing Monday morning if not earlier. Those are few and far between though.

Skip (our writer) and I have been searching for a solution to this issue for a long time.

Agree, I know its not on you. Many of the local tours you are talking about are probably 1 man shows, that either don't care, or don't have the resources. I'm from the Philly area, and our local tour there, the Mezz Tour, is notorious for not sending press releases.

This production, however, even the chairs the players are sitting on appear in the closeups to be a $2,000 chair. So its not a lack of resources responsible for not getting the word out. They also know what they are doing from a "cue sport" perspective. They did their homework. So they must know the popular cue sport websites and FB pages.

The more I think about this, maybe they did not want "too many" people to know? Maybe they wanted to work out the kinks on year one?