High end Olhausen vs. High end Connelly

Tim

Just wanted to get some opinions on these two table manufacturers high end stuff. How do they compare, which one today makes a better product?

Thanks

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went through the same decision two years ago. After spending two months trying to find a good 8.5 foot on Craigslist, I bit the bullet and decided to buy new. In Dallas, Billiard Factory sells a lot of Olhausen and Universal Billiards sells Connelly. I spoke with both companies and did some research. The best I could tell, both have good reviews and both are made in the USA. The wood on Connelly rails is 1 inch wider, which I liked.

In the end, I like the style of Olhausen better. I bought a Hampton model with Simonis 860 and have been enjoying it daily since.

Mezz'd up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen pockets are cut weird, Prefer the Connelly for speed and the rail width is fantastic. But why these tables? Why not Diamond or Brunswick?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Olhausen pocket angles and the shelves are not very good.

don't know much about Connelly tables.

If I was in the market for a table and didn't want to spend big $$$ for a Diamond, I would be on the hunt for an old Gold Crown I, II, or III.

Setup and installed by a good table mechanic, these play fantastic and will last at least a lifetime. :thumbup:

Another great older table to consider are the Gandy Big G models. Also extremely well built, great playing, lifetime tables. there are much fewer of these then there are the Gold Crowns.

GL

EDIT: while I was typing, I see mezz'd up covered it all just above me. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
olhausen tables are fantastic and the nicest for a home table appearance. they suck at the pockets and table shelf as posted.
balls hang and spit out that should go in.
that is why the company is on hard times and hasnt got the following of the good players. they are poor at business great at making a product.

everything else is wonderful about them. they play true, bank well and are very comfortable to retrieve balls from and have no plastic or metal on the rails.

i have one and would not buy another just because of the pockets.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your question is kind of like asking which car can go from 0 to 60 fastest, at 1987 chevette or a Yugo?

I kinda agree....it's like arguing about two ugly broads.
Not everyone wants the commercial look of a Gold Crown in their home.

So get a Diamond or an old Anniversary.
They'll make a wife AND a pool player happy......
...good looking pieces of furniture.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
olhausen tables are fantastic and the nicest for a home table appearance. they suck at the pockets and table shelf as posted.
that is why the company is on hard times and hasnt got the following of the good players. they are poor at business great at making a product.

everything else is wonderful about them. they play true, bank well and are very comfortable to retrieve balls from and have no plastic or metal on the rails.

Connelleys are similarly bad in spitting g out cleanly struck balls. I played on one a while back and you could hit the object ball directly into the heart of the pocket and sometimes it would rebound right back onto the table. This table is owned by a fellow azber, who shall remain nameless. When he and I played this happened and he said that he just considers the ball as pocketed ha ha ha.

I got a used diamond and it plays like a table should IMO. Fair and true. And it will last a lifetime. Best purchase I ever made and by far the most enjoyable.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I kinda agree....it's like arguing about two ugly broads.
Not everyone wants the commercial look of a Gold Crown in their home.

So get a Diamond or an old Anniversary.
They'll make a wife AND a pool player happy......
...good looking pieces of furniture.

I will have to give the anniversary its propers. Man that is one good looking table!!!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen!!!!

If you are trying to improve your game buy the Olhausen!!! I play on one every day, they are very hard to pocket balls on, but once you get it right on a Olhausen everything else is easy to play on. The only down side is when banking balls cross side, its hard to use draw as it will spit the balls back out from time to time.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I've never played on an Olhausen that I liked.

You'll constantly hear the death rattle of the infamous "Olhausen Warbler".

See all above about gaffy pocket cuts.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Olhausen Champion Pro 3 Table and I love it - no issue with the pockets either.

Gerry

I've never played on an Olhausen that I liked.

You'll constantly hear the death rattle of the infamous "Olhausen Warbler".

See all above about gaffy pocket cuts.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both high end companies Connelly and Olhausen offers many designs that are works of art in themselves in addition they offer a custom service if one wants to create their own work of art.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on Olhausens every day, two of which are brand new. My 60 year old anniversary is 10 times better than the Olhausen. Pockets are junk, correctly hit balls
spit out all the time for about the same price they could have had Diamonds so sad.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm not making any recommendations here...the subject is too subjective. But I will chime in to say that the best table I've ever played on was a Connelly w/2" slate and rails that had plenty of life in them!!! Don't remember which model it was...but it was one of the high-end models.

Maniac

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
High-end Olhausen tables use 3 bolts per rail, with 1" slate.

High-end Connelly tables use 4 bolts per rail, with 1.25" slate.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High-end Olhausen tables use 3 bolts per rail, with 1" slate.

High-end Connelly tables use 4 bolts per rail, with 1.25" slate.

I've owned both! I've set them both up and taken them down. Both were 9 foot tables. The Ollie had a pre-assembled one piece frame and 4 legs. It was rigid. The pocket cut-outs on the slates were weird. The corners were 4 5/8" and they DID NOT like crisply hit shots. The "rattle" myth is NOT a myth.

The Connelly was 6-legged and had 1 1/4" slates. I don't care what other people say, I preferred the thicker slates. The side and end frame members bolt into the corner legs. The two middle legs were really just for show. With the exception of the slate frames, which were particle board, EVERYTHING else was solid oak...oh, the blocking inside the legs was plywood.

The cushions on the Ollie were their Accu-fast brand and they were nice. The cushions on the Connelly were made in England(I can't remember the name [they were recently bought in by a larger company]) by the company that makes most of the cushions for the snooker tables around the world. They were individually dated. I liked them better than the Ollie. They seemed to have a more sophisticated response. Don't laugh. If you played them side by side, you would recognize the difference.

OH, and it's a big OH, my experience with Olhausen customer service was very negative. Also, their dark finishes FAIL quickly.

The Gold Crown/Diamond loyalty here is cooked in. I'd put a well set high end Connelly up against anybody, any time. They're built like a brick shithouse. They are simple, where others are complicated and they are low tech, which is wonderful.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
The cushions on the Connelly were made in England(I can't remember the name [they were recently bought in by a larger company]) by the company that makes most of the cushions for the snooker tables around the world.

Icon Northern Rubber