Diminishing 3-D Depth Perception for Senior Pool Players

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just looking for opinions from other senior age pool players (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s) as to whether and how and/or if you think your 3-D depth perception is gradually diminishing and how this detrimentally affects your pool game and any ways you have found to combat this?

My corrected vision (at age 62) is still very good and I still see the balls and even the edges of the balls very clearly. However, my biggest issues are when an object ball is 3-4 inches or less off of a side rail on a cut shot in which the cue ball is out more towards the center of the table. I'm finding it increasingly hard to visually see exactly how far that object ball is off the rail (when I'm down in my shooting position) in order for my brain to subconsciously know exactly how to lock in on the correct line.

I always walk around to get a view of the object ball straight to the corner pocket and I tell myself (and my brain) exactly how far that ball sets off the cushion (1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 2", 3" or whatever), but when I get in the shooting position, I just don't feel the confidence in knowing I'm locked in on the aim as I easily did in the past, which I can only attribute to my diminishing 3-D depth perception, and I often miss these shots that I used to execute with no problem. The other shot that is getting harder is when the cue ball and object ball are close together and not straight in, and trying to determine exactly how much to cut it (when down in the shooting position) and how it's getting increasinly harder for my brain to subconsciously determine how far apart the balls are, which obviously affects how much you have to cut it. For these shots, I find it somewhat helpful to keep my head higher above my cue than my normal head low stance.

I'm seeing my eye doctor for my yearly checkup later this summer, and I'm planning on asking him if there is any type of lenses that could potentially help with this diminishing 3-D vision, or if possibly any type of eye corrective (lasik or whatever) could help this? Has anyone here have any knowledge or firsthand experience of anything that can be done for senior pool players who are gradually losing their 3D vision and the detrimental affect is has in our pool games? Thanks!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...my biggest issues are when an object ball is 3-4 inches or less off of a side rail on a cut shot in which the cue ball is out more towards the center of the table. I'm finding it increasingly hard to visually see exactly how far that object ball is off the rail (when I'm down in my shooting position) in order for my brain to subconsciously know exactly how to lock in on the correct line.
When you have the same cut angle with the OB in the middle of the table is it easier? If so, maybe the answer is to ignore the rail and visualize/shoot the shot as if the OB is in the middle of the table.

Funny thing is there's actually an aiming visualization trick that's the opposite of that - when cutting an OB that's in the middle of the table you visualize an imaginary rail next to it leading to the pocket.

pj
chgo

P.S. Is losing 3D vision a thing?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found that as you get older your perception is not reality however your results are so you need to adjust based on those , usually that will happen on 1/4 ball hits or less meaning the edge of the ball , like in golf amateur players miss under cutting and not following thru on the stroke , the latter is very important