2019 WPA World 9 Ball - Qatar

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the feeling, that Albin might go deep in this year's WC.
I don't know if this is official, but I heard, that he was teaming up with Johan, at least for some coaching sessions, right before the event.
And we all know what Johan can do to a player's mindset.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the 12 qualifiers are:

Alcaide, Jerico Bunos, Babica, and Lin Ta Li

Dang, Wang Can (they erroneously had Sergio Lagunas winning that bracket), Oi, Kong Bu Hong

Petri Makkonen, Chang Yu Lung, Lui Hai Tao, Wu Kun Lin.

Looks like Mario He, Robbie Capito, Omar al Shaheen, Nick Ekonomoplous, Ko Ping Han, and Hybler didn't make it out of the qualifiers.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the 12 qualifiers are:

Alcaide, Jerico Bunos, Babica, and Lin Ta Li

Dang, Wang Can (they erroneously had Sergio Lagunas winning that bracket), Oi, Kong Bu Hong

Petri Makkonen, Chang Yu Lung, Lui Hai Tao, Wu Kun Lin.

Looks like Mario He, Robbie Capito, Omar al Shaheen, Nick Ekonomoplous, Ko Ping Han, and Hybler didn't make it out of the qualifiers.

It's very easy to lose in a race to 7, even if player B is worse than player A, that doesn't matter, player B can still win a race to 7.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very easy to lose in a race to 7, even if player B is worse than player A, that doesn't matter, player B can still win a race to 7.
A race to 7 for players of this caliber is like flipping a coin. Very short set.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Main event Stage 2 (14-17 Dec)

Too bad 18 year old Fargorate #1 Zheng missed the cut. Lost in final deciding matches on Day 2 and Day 3 to Oi and Chang Yu Lung. Both matches he lost hill hill

WPA says streaming links will be announced soon so there is hope. https://wpapool.com/2019-mens-world-9-ball-championship/ There were some years previously when it was not streamed at all.

Pretty sad that they really dropped number of players in main event Stage 2 to 96. It was 128 players all this while.
quotas.JPG

stage2.JPG

Prizemoney dropped to $150K. Winner gets $30K instead of $40K last year.
pmoney.JPG

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish they would expand the World 10 Ball from 64 to 96 and then this 9 Ball shit could be put out to pasture.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did Billy, Corey, and Max auto-qualify?

When do they start play US time?

They got in on the BCA allotment. The allocations above show Top 20 WPA plus 7 to the BCA. Who knows at what point they looked at the ranking to make the decisions and who turned down the invites. They keep this hush hush every year. You got three from Canada and 5 from the US showing in that online player list. I'm seeing SVB, Corey, and Alex all showing in top 20 WPA. So Skyler and Styer must have taken a pass on invites. Not even worth further guessing with how little effort they put into publicizing this and being open with the info. Just a joke of an event.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Too bad 18 year old Fargorate #1 Zheng missed the cut. Lost in final deciding matches on Day 2 and Day 3 to Oi and Chang Yu Lung. Both matches he lost hill hill

Still, 12 qualifying spots is a lot and there was ample opportunity to qualify. Given his talent level, Zheng won't have this problem going forward as long as he is committed to maximum participation in the biggest international events, in which case maintaining a top 20 WPA ranking shouldn't be too big a problem.

Looks like a monster field and there are plenty of contenders for the title.

Let the games begin!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They got in on the BCA allotment. The allocations above show Top 20 WPA plus 7 to the BCA. Who knows at what point they looked at the ranking to make the decisions and who turned down the invites. They keep this hush hush every year. You got three from Canada and 5 from the US showing in that online player list. I'm seeing SVB, Corey, and Alex all showing in top 20 WPA. So Skyler and Styer must have taken a pass on invites. Not even worth further guessing with how little effort they put into publicizing this and being open with the info. Just a joke of an event.

Winner gets $30,000 the same as each winning team member gets for the Mosconi Cup.
I thought the world championship on definition alone was supposed to have a stellar payout.
We are talking the best in the world here.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winner gets $30,000 the same as each winning team member gets for the Mosconi Cup.
I thought the world championship on definition alone was supposed to have a stellar payout.
We are talking the best in the world here.

Travel, 1 whole match a day, and a holiday break during the tournament. I see why a lot of players don't want to go.

The no alcohol thing probably is Bergman's primary reason for not going. :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travel, 1 whole match a day, and a holiday break during the tournament. I see why a lot of players don't want to go.

The no alcohol thing probably is Bergman's primary reason for not going. :)
I've talked to one who went and other than going to tournament room they never left their hotel. Said they'd never go back. Ever.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stage 2 Double Elimination Brackets and Youtube Stream

Stage 2 Double elimination
Brackets (64 seeded players added to the brackets and another 32 yet to be added )
http://esnooker.pl/turnieje/2019/w9bc/en/show_drabinka_2KO.php?id_t=289

Youtube Stream (Looks like there will be 3 streams instead of just 1)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ5FS50ETk-2nsAe3HkvHvA2X-H28fggH

Stage double elimination First match kicks off at 10am local time (2am Eastern) about 18 hours from now

With reduced 96 players (instead of usual 128 players), only need to win 1 match (instead of 2) in double elimination stage to qualify for last 64 Single elimination. But lose 2 matches and you are out.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stage 2 Double elimination
Brackets (64 seeded players added to the brackets and another 32 yet to be added )
http://esnooker.pl/turnieje/2019/w9bc/en/show_drabinka_2KO.php?id_t=289

Youtube Stream (Looks like there will be 3 streams instead of just 1)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ5FS50ETk-2nsAe3HkvHvA2X-H28fggH

Stage double elimination First match kicks off at 10am local time (2am Eastern) about 18 hours from now

With reduced 96 players (instead of usual 128 players), only need to win 1 match (instead of 2) in double elimination stage to qualify for last 64 Single elimination. But lose 2 matches and you are out.

So they got 1st round at 10:00 and 12:00 and 2nd round at 2:00 and 4:00 (SVB). Guess I'll have to get up by 8:00 tomorrow to catch the last set of matches for the day :(

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So they got 1st round at 10:00 and 12:00 and 2nd round at 2:00 and 4:00 (SVB). Guess I'll have to get up by 8:00 tomorrow to catch the last set of matches for the day :(

SVB plays his first match at 4 pm Sat. (8 am USA east coast), but it shows him on Table 16, whereas the streamed tables are 1, 8, and 15 (if I'm reading it correctly).

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB plays his first match at 4 pm Sat. (8 am USA east coast), but it shows him on Table 16, whereas the streamed tables are 1, 8, and 15 (if I'm reading it correctly).

Thanks, I hadn't even looked at that YouTube link yet. That Dariusz has put a lot into mapping that all out in advance.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is it now official that winning the US Open is statistically harder that the World championship when size of field and depth of talent (average Fargo) is taken into account?

Or does that need to travel to Qatar and survive for a week factored into the difficulty of playing in such a tournament?