Had a great time at goodtimez billiards Huntsville al,.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was actually more pro players than amateur players in the room most of the time.

Cheap action was plentiful at $100 to $200 a set, as well as 5k to 10k sets.

I didn't play 5k or 10k sets lol... but I played several pros cheap sets everyday after their last tournament match for the day.

Played sets with Danny Smith, Josh Robert's, Casper, Hennessy and Warren. I lost some and won some.

I was extremely happy with my game. I had a ball. Made a few bucks and some friends.

Danny, Josh, Casper and Warren alike, are good players and good guys to be around.

For the life of me, I don't understand why other amateur players local to Huntsville did not show up to gamble with them.

They will play cheap sets as long as no spot is given.

I just don't understand why people don't feel the need to "man up" and see how they stack up to some of the pros when the opportunity is there in your backyard.

I only saw two other amateurs gambling with them. I don't get it.

What kills me is..... lol..... a week later, some of the locals will fall right back into their "I can't get a game".

"I can't get a game", lol.... translated is "I can't get an easy game".

Some of the guilty party are azb. Members, you know who you are.

Anyways, a big thank you for the streaming and goodtimez billiards for making it possible.

Again, folks.... when pros are in your backyard why not give it a go?

By doing so, you may actually learn something about yourself and your game.

Rake

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course we are glad you enjoyed yourself, and remember that your choices are no more right or wrong than the next man's.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was actually more pro players than amateur players in the room most of the time.

I didn't play 5k or 10k sets lol... but I played several pros cheap sets everyday after their last tournament match for the day.

Played sets with Danny Smith, Josh Robert's, Casper, Hennessy and Warren. I lost some and won some.

I was extremely happy with my game. I had a ball. Made a few bucks and some friends.

Danny, Josh, Casper and Warren alike, are good players and good guys to be around.

For the life of me, I don't understand why other amateur players local to Huntsville did not show up to gamble with them.

I just don't understand why people don't feel the need to "man up" and see how they stack up to some of the pros when the opportunity is there in your backyard.

What kills me is..... lol..... a week later, some of the locals will fall right back into their "I can't get a game".

Anyways, a big thank you for the streaming and goodtimez billiards for making it possible.

Rake

That’s a real nice room.
The reason why more locals won’t play the Pros is because their scared rabbits. I’ve been there four or five times. The last time I was there the guy I played quite after one game. The time before that no one would play me. The time before that I had to give so much weight it was impossible for me to win. I’d play the scared rabbits for 5 bucks just to have some fun action but no dice in that place.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rake

Cheap sets to a lot of people is $5 - $20 not $100+, that may be why people don't play better players even.

If someone twice as good as me that I liked would play me races to 5 for $20 I'd play them for hours. Mike Dechaine was in a place with me once, he offered to play someone for $20 a set, race to 7, I played 3, best I did was 4-7. Was happy to do it. If he was playing for $100+ a set, nope.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheap sets to a lot of people is $5 - $20 not $100+, that may be why people don't play better players even.

If someone twice as good as me that I liked would play me races to 5 for $20 I'd play them for hours. Mike Dechaine was in a place with me once, he offered to play someone for $20 a set, race to 7, I played 3, best I did was 4-7. Was happy to do it. If he was playing for $100+ a set, nope.

Those are my feelings as well.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are my feelings as well.

I think it’s all relative. I don’t know anyone’s ratings, but wouldn’t your feelings be different if you played a little closer to their speed? A 500 Fargo might not want to, but the “lesson” would mean a little more for the 600. Just my thoughts.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s all relative. I don’t know anyone’s ratings, but wouldn’t your feelings be different if you played a little closer to their speed? A 500 Fargo might not want to, but the “lesson” would mean a little more for the 600. Just my thoughts.

I am a bit below 600 according to fargo and have played my share vs players in the 700-800 range. I don't need to spend $100-$200 to know that they just do everything better. I know how to run racks but sometimes I can't execute. Get out of line or whatever. They have better cue ball control and play better safeties. The mistakes become less and less as the rating goes higher.

I think the majority of players would not think $100 was a cheap set. The exception is players who have lots of money or just play for that amount regularly. I know some people who are below 500 who would happily play $200 sets all day long if they thought it was a good game. They might even play for 1k.

A cheap set is an amount that really won't hurt someone if they lose. I am always wary of the person who comes in asking to play cheap. I ask them what they are thinking. if they say $50 a game one pocket, then their version of cheap is different than mine and they are most likely a hustler. They want it to seem like a small amount even when it isn't to most people who play for money.

It would be interesting to create a poll of what constitutes a cheap set. AZB is full of avid players but I wonder if even 10% was say $100 is cheap and they typically play for more.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a bit below 600 according to fargo and have played my share vs players in the 700-800 range. I don't need to spend $100-$200 to know that they just do everything better. I know how to run racks but sometimes I can't execute. Get out of line or whatever. They have better cue ball control and play better safeties. The mistakes become less and less as the rating goes higher.

I think the majority of players would not think $100 was a cheap set. The exception is players who have lots of money or just play for that amount regularly. I know some people who are below 500 who would happily play $200 sets all day long if they thought it was a good game. They might even play for 1k.

A cheap set is an amount that really won't hurt someone if they lose. I am always wary of the person who comes in asking to play cheap. I ask them what they are thinking. if they say $50 a game one pocket, then their version of cheap is different than mine and they are most likely a hustler. They want it to seem like a small amount even when it isn't to most people who play for money.

It would be interesting to create a poll of what constitutes a cheap set. AZB is full of avid players but I wonder if even 10% was say $100 is cheap and they typically play for more.

I also believe the term “cheap” is relative to the lesson you’re getting. I’d call $100 sets with SVB cheap, but against someone else not so much.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measureman will go on record to all of AZB.
I am not a scared rabbit.
I will play anyone any game for $5.00.
Meet me at Felts in Englewood,Co if you dare!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Rake

"I can't get any play unless I have the dead F'ING N U T S. I'm a locksmith... it's what I do." :eek:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Timez is a really nice room. The owner Sam is a good guy too. First time I was there he went out of his way to find me a game. Same for the guys I was with. Always enjoy playing there.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't want to comment on the venue etc. because obviously I don't know it (other side of the Atlantic). But I can comment on not playing pros. I have from time to time played against, usually not upper echelon pros, but players that are as close as you can get. It's always interesting. The problem is: I'm not made of money. I can't play for money I don't have, and getting your brains beaten in over and over really isn't going to help me as much as focused practise. For a couple of hours worth of "cheap lessons" at the hands of a hustler, I could easily get the same amount of time of someone watching my game and helping me improve. I play tournaments against these people, it's better value.

I'd much rather pay for lessons, than playing with someone who's interest is in keeping in the dark as much as possible. The better you get, the truer that is. They'lll happily throw a c player a bone, but if they think you are, or might become a threat, they clam up really fast. And seriously, why pay top dollar for dry bones, when you can get a full meal for the same price?

For instance I played with a former snooker pro, when I was still fairly green at snooker. This guy doesn't give pointers, but he'll play with people, sometimes for free. It was awesome at first, but really, picking balls out the pockets eventually gets old. He didn't want to tell me anything and he kept making every ball. At that time, I didn't have the knowledge needed to benefit from watching him, either. At one time I played him for about 3 solid hours and never had a shot at anything and I don't think he missed a single ball. It was completely demoralizing. I'm much better at observing now, then I was back then, but still you can't expect people to magically pick up tips from watching this sort of thing. If that was the case, you'd be a pro from watching tv. About the only difference was that I picked up the balls, apart from that it was much like watching tv.

Seriously, only pool has this obsession with playing players far superior to yourself Would you put a beginner or even a weekend player up against a tennis pro? What can possibly be learned from not being able to return a single serve? If you can't run out regularly and easily, you are far better served to take lessons. If you are close to equally good, occational sparring will tell you where you are. Take that info and practise.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measureman will go on record to all of AZB.
I am not a scared rabbit.
I will play anyone any game for $5.00.
Meet me at Felts in Englewood,Co if you dare!

You might be the guy who beat me at Felts for $20 a game last time I was there:thumbup: We can raise the bet next time but between us rabbits:D

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That’s a real nice room.
The reason why more locals won’t play the Pros is because their scared rabbits. I’ve been there four or five times. The last time I was there the guy I played quite after one game. The time before that no one would play me. The time before that I had to give so much weight it was impossible for me to win. I’d play the scared rabbits for 5 bucks just to have some fun action but no dice in that place.

Last few times I was in Huntsville, I didnt see any action either. Guess it's been about 6yrs now, time flies.
Jason

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s a real nice room.

Yep, Sam did a great job with the room.

I feel your pain about the scared rabbits. There are several players in Huntsville, Decatur, Birmingham and surrounding areas that I play ever so often. Like you said, takes giving up the nuts to get/keep most of them at table for more than one set.

It's sad when I have to give three to four wild balls with games on wire in 10 ball for as little as ~$20 to ~$40 a set with B+ players.

I'm considered a solid "A" by some and a very weak shortstop by others. Just depends on the day, and who you ask lol....

I absolutely love playing pros even-up in rotation games or str8 pool for $50 to $200 a set, depending on which pro and game and length of set.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I understand. Everyone's cheap is different.

I'm the same as you describe. I like playing players that are way better than myself.

I'm at a point to where playing the ghost just doesn't cut it anymore.

Some may think playing a pro is a waste but IMO, it is money well spent. Besides, I don't always lose. Usually, yes... lol ... but the races are closer now than before.

Some talk about lessons. Well, I've had lessons from instructors and pros alike and both ways IMO taught me plenty.

IMO, players at B+ and below should stick to instructors most of the time but should still seek out a pro or at the very least ...... a very strong "A" to shortstop player ever so often and play them even-up to use as a gauge.

I know most are not like minded. Then again, serious pool is not for the faint hearted. Especially when gambling is added to the mix.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very, very true.

I don't have a rating but I face players from high 600's to mid 700's fairly often. With a high 700's ever so often. High 700's is hard to find most of the time.

I seem to learn the most while playing the high 700's player.

Is it expensive? Some thinks as much. Has it been worth it to me? You damn skippy. I'm much stronger today than I was just few months ago.

Instructors are good but PRESSURE is something that will only come from very strong players with something that MATTERS on the line (not to cheap), it has to matter or it don't matter.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also believe the term “cheap” is relative to the lesson you’re getting. I’d call $100 sets with SVB cheap, but against someone else not so much.

Again, I agree.

Although, to me, it doesn't take SVB to constitute a $200 set.

To me, it depends on the game, not just which pro.

All pros are not great 1hole players. Some pros, imo actually suck at str8 pool but are super strong rotation players.

How much I'm willing to play a certain pro for depends on his background in pool.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I can't get any play unless I have the dead F'ING N U T S. I'm a locksmith... it's what I do." :eek:

There is a huge difference between being a good match maker vs being scared to death of a grinding set where you have to watch each and every single shot.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Timez is a really nice room. The owner Sam is a good guy too. First time I was there he went out of his way to find me a game. Same for the guys I was with. Always enjoy playing there.

Sam is a class act all the way.

Pool needs more room owners like him.