5 Impressive Events in Pool Over the Past 6+ Months

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you rank them in regards of importance to our game? This certainly presents a tough choice as to which one of these news items is most impressive. I've listed them here below, but this is not necessarily the order I'd put them in. Am I missing any other newsworthy events / accomplishments in pool over the past 6 months we could add to this list?

1) John's Schmidt's breaking Willie Mosconi's 526 straight pool exhibition high run, which stood for 65+ years, with a run of 626.

2) Emergence of a new superstar and top player in the game - Joshua Filler, who at only 21, now holds both the World 9-ball and US Open 9-ball titles at the same time.

3) Matchroom's taking over ownership and staging of the prestigious US Open 9-Ball Tournament.

4) Team USA breaking Europe's 8 year consecutive reign of the Mosconi Cup by defeating the European team in London, in December of 2018, which was also the first time team USA has won this event on foreign soil since 2004..

5) The emergence and recognition of Siming Chen as the first female pro pool player in roughly 40 years (since Jean Balukas) to be playing at a skill level that she could potentially be a threat to go deep in to and possibly even win a major professional open 9-ball event.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's because I only saw it after it was over(World Snooker had my priority at the time), but I didn't really see anything that stood out during the US Open. Sure Matchroom took it over, but outside of the fact it was where it was, again nothing really stood out. I didn't see any new production things like different camera angles or pre and post game player interviews.

What am I missing that everyone else is saw?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me,

Postitions 3 and 4 are very close. In my mind, I would like to think breaking a 65+ year record, held by the namesake of the Mosconi Cup, would be considered important by all of the world. But maybe not. If the USA can retain the Cup next year, I would probably flip those two.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, in order of importance, its is:

Stu and Scratch85, just curious how much either of you might possibly raise your ranking of #5 if Siming Chen happens to win a major 9/10 Ball open title?

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tie 2/5

4 is awesome, but more of an ebb and flow thing than something new under the sun.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
I would rank these by the chances that we're still talking about these events in 20 years:

1) John's Schmidt's besting Willie Mosconi's 526 straight pool exhibition high run, which stood for 65+ years, with a run of 626. 95%

2) Emergence of a new superstar and top player in the game - Joshua Filler, who at only 21, now holds both the World 9-ball and US Open 9-ball titles at the same time. 25%

3) Matchroom's taking over ownership and staging of the prestigious US Open 9-Ball Tournament.50%

4) USA breaking Europe's 8 year consecutive reign of the Mosconi Cup by defeating the European team in London, in December of 2018.10%

5) The emergence and recognition of Siming Chen as the first female pro pool player in roughly 40 years (since Jean Balukas) to be playing at a skill level that she could potentially be a threat to go deep in to and possibly even win a major professional open 9-ball event. <5%

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stu and Scratch85, just curious how much either of you might possibly raise your ranking of #5 if Siming Chen happens to win a major 9/10 Ball open title?

I made a quick ranking based on how excited I got as the mentioned events unfolded. I also think all of the events are a big deal and significant to the pool world. With that being said, It probably wouldn't raise my ranking.

However, some conversation could easily change my ranking. Just you posing the question has tightened up the bottom 3. I haven't seen Siming in person but I have watched her matches with Mills and Van Boening. She is great to watch and an incredible talent. But winning one major event would be like the USA's one recent Cup win. If she were to win multiple events over the next couple of years, I would move that accomplishment way up my list.

I haven't nearly the experience SJM has evaluating the pool scene, so I wouldn't give my opinion too much credit. :)

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

If Siming won something big, such as any of World 9-ball, US Open 9-ball, Derby City 9-ball, China Open 9-ball, or All Japan 9-ball, it would be on top of my list as, beyond the magnitude of the moment, it would probably bring a whole lot of women players to our game and might, therefore, prove a pivotal moment in our game's future.