Dust/stain in veneers

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hello i am making a cue with veneers and pointers,the forearm is ebony.

how do i get the maple veneers clean of any ebony dust after the final turn?

was i not supposed to sand after the final turn and seal it immediately? if so what kind of sealer should i use? because i understand any darkwoods will have its 'stain' if you/re applying a viscous sealer of some sort.

NICECUE317

Registered
During the sanding maple and dark woods ( esp. cocobolo and ebony) that are adjacent, you have to blow compressed air directly on it while sanding to avoid cross contamination of the dark dust into the maple. I started it doing it about 10 years ago when Chris Hightower explained it to me.
Works great.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the sanding maple and dark woods ( esp. cocobolo and ebony) that are adjacent, you have to blow compressed air directly on it while sanding to avoid cross contamination of the dark dust into the maple. I started it doing it about 10 years ago when Chris Hightower explained it to me.
Works great.

is there any other way if i cant do that?

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blow with 100psi air as you sand...... never sand with anything finer than 220......... and you may be screwed ...............

Kim

hahaha thanks! do you still sand less than 220 to polish metal rings?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use a good sanding sealer and start using it before you even think about sanding. As soon as you finish the last cut.

IMG_20190807_195528.jpg
IMG_20190807_195557.jpg

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic Eraser?

hello i am making a cue with veneers and pointers,the forearm is ebony.

how do i get the maple veneers clean of any ebony dust after the final turn?
Hello Calvin.. :)
I was wondering..
Did you mean the ebony dust is already "in" the Maple ?
And compressed air can not blow off the dust?

Hey guys, wasn't there a post about using a "Magic Eraser" to "clean/pull out" the dust out of the lighter color woods?
I use the white one from the stationary school supply.

Cal, I just thought if this is what you meant. :)

Alton

Added:
When I do Light color woods adjacent to dark color woods, I do get some "Cross Contamination" , and,
I use a fine hair art brush to "sweep out " the dust in the "trouble areas".
I also use it for the white dust trapped in air bubbles/pits.
Works for me..

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alton

Added:
When I do Light color woods adjacent to dark color woods, I do get some "Cross Contamination" , and,
I use a fine hair art brush to "sweep out " the dust in the "trouble areas".
I also use it for the white dust trapped in air bubbles/pits.
Works for me..

I'm sure this works well, but your only dealing with a 1 1/2" piece. No pun intended. :grin: