Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Los Angeles area players from the past
Page 11 of 12 « First 91011 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#151)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member
atthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to atthecat  
02-17-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
Pete suffers from COPD and may be still alive. I used to keep in touch with him until he started smoking again.

I played him many times back in the day. He was a man that would go crazy if you quit winners on him.

The air in the old Hollywood Billiards, was like soup as folks smoked it up down there.

Pete on top of being a smoker lived in that room for years breathing the toxic air.

That room was a trip and the neighborhood was one of the worst in Hollywood.

Saw some wild stuff go down there.

All in all Pete isn't a bad guy. He never could walk away from the short money and that is a curse for someone that's trying to make money playing pool.
Good info, thanks. He was always nice to me until i played him. He went bonkers when i beat him. We werent even gambling.

Playing Cues:
2006 James White butterfly Hoppe
1974 Joss gunsights and dominos
Table:
1963 Gold Crown I Tangerine w/ 4 inch pockets
Band video: Click Here

Old
  (#152)
Masayoshi
Fusenshou no Masa
Masayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $TAKE HOR$E View Post
Not really sure where to post this but didn’t want to start a new thread. A friend sent me this and said it was made by a CA cuemaker and he purchased it on eBay. Just curious if anyone recognizes the logo
It's by a fairly new maker named Adrian, I think. I don't have much info other than that, but he is a relatively new maker in socal.

Old
  (#153)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCityCorey View Post
John Borba

He disappeared from thr scene about 10-15 years back. Santos retired him as John couldn’t win getting the 7-out & the breaks playing nine ball. They must have played for a week like this in So. El Monte. John had previously believed no one in the world could have beaten him with that spot.

Little did he know, Efren gave better players than he the 6-out & the snaps winding up winner.
His family had big money so John didn't have to worry about making money at pool. He did have a lot of gamble though. You had to like that about him.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#154)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-18-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I ducked you and I'm proud of it. You asked me to play at Yankee Doodles when I was running the tourneys there and giving lessons. I had seen you play and knew it would be an uphill climb so I just said no. You wanted to play 9-Ball and my best game back then was Banks and One Pocket second. Not sure why I didn't ask you to play Banks cause I beat some good players at that game. At that point in my life I had a good bankroll and would only play if I was pushed or liked the action. You didn't fit the bill.

After I said no you left me alone. If you had put a big hustle on me I would have offered to play you some banks, but it never got to that point. Like I said, some pretty fair country shooters got a big surprise when we played Banks.
I wish we would of played banks, I had no idea you played that game at the time. Growing up in Chicago we always played Full Rack Banks, it was a great game to learn, for the ''roll out'' 9 ball days.

I almost parked it in CA if were not for Adam Brostoski/Owner of Paramount Billiards on Long Beach Blvd and his final decision to retire and go to Siezure World in Orange County.

Adams son Still, owns Golden West Billiards, you see his tables at times on the Price is Right.

Anywho, we had the building picked out, the rent and the equipment in order. It was to be located ''within'' the traffic circle as it cuts and heads sound to Seal Beach. It sat on the west side of the circle.

Seal Beach/Horny Corner....is where Dave Thompson and I first ran into each other, Acapulco Inn 1976-77. He was driving a broken down Fiat 128 and just moved from Europe.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#155)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

02-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I wish we would of played banks, I had no idea you played that game at the time. Growing up in Chicago we always played Full Rack Banks, it was a great game to learn, for the ''roll out'' 9 ball days.

I almost parked it in CA if were not for Adam Brostoski/Owner of Paramount Billiards on Long Beach Blvd and his final decision to retire and go to Siezure World in Orange County.

Adams son Still, owns Golden West Billiards, you see his tables at times on the Price is Right.

Anywho, we had the building picked out, the rent and the equipment in order. It was to be located ''within'' the traffic circle as it cuts and heads sound to Seal Beach. It sat on the west side of the circle.

Seal Beach/Horny Corner....is where Dave Thompson and I first ran into each other, Acapulco Inn 1976-77. He was driving a broken down Fiat 128 and just moved from Europe.
Frank Bartolini from Canada opened the first Yankee Doodles (where I ran into you) just up the street from there, and he made a fortune out of the place. For those who don't know, it was a huge place (15,000 sq. ft.) right on the beach, with over 30 tables, a full bar/restaurant and a variety of other games. Kind of a forerunner to the giant Dave and Buster's we see now. He added a few more successful Yankee Doodles before retiring a very wealthy man. I was his partner and manager in a couple of places (Santa Monica and Marina del Rey) for a period of time. He was the smartest room owner I've ever met.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#156)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

02-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Anyone remember a small time scruff that hung out at HAC (or was it the Hollywood Billiards, the one that was below ground level)? Somewhat taller, thin guy with longer, stringy hair and sunglasses? Kind of a hippy looking dude. I think his name was Danny?

Eric

Old
  (#157)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

CrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
Anyone remember a small time scruff that hung out at HAC (or was it the Hollywood Billiards, the one that was below ground level)? Somewhat taller, thin guy with longer, stringy hair and sunglasses? Kind of a hippy looking dude. I think his name was Danny?

Eric
“Danny Shades”

Still a regular at House of Billiards (Santa Monica) I hear.

Old
  (#158)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

02-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCityCorey View Post
“Danny Shades”

Still a regular at House of Billiards (Santa Monica) I hear.
All these names are straight outta central casting!

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

tap tap tap......
Old
  (#159)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

tap tap tap...... - 02-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Nice stories....

I can see just how easy it was to go broke... for a road player..
or a gambler in this game. You all are showing me just how
many people would need to know of, and be steered clear of!

td

Old
  (#160)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

02-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post

Eric
The infamous " Danny Shades " or in some quarters the " Bug ".

Old
  (#161)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

02-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi2960 View Post
Cuban Joe Valdez, Fred Walen, Peter Gunn, Popcorn, and many of previous named.
But there was a high $ golf game played on the big snooker table, I don't know their real names but, Tweedy and Heart Attact Jack, comes to mind.
I was a young rail bird at the old upstairs place on bellflower Blvd.
Tweedy (Jim Shermerhorn sp) Jimmy Van and I played quite a bit of golf and liability snooker on Bertha starting in the 60’s and into the early nineties when they opened Hard Times and put the same 6 x 12 in it. Heart Attack Jack would play in the cheaper games but more likely to be in with one of the road players when they were in town. No one was barred from playing on that table and the regular players could hold their own against most of them.

I met Tweedy and Jimmy Van in the early sixties at Beaver’s pool room on Tweedy Blvd in Southgate when Tweedy was still in the Navy.

John Henderson
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk

Old
  (#162)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

02-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
I think one name from the 70's - early 80's is Hawaiian Brian. He was probably the best nine ball player in that era from Los Angeles. He was a champion beater and made big scores playing on the road during that time. No one had to like playing him any pool game and his One Pocket game was pretty sporty. He is a good friend and we had some great road trips together. I was all in no matter what the game and who his opponent was. One memorable road trip took us to Houston at the Le' Cue where he beat everyone for the week we were there. He had a tremendous heart and loved action.
I played Brian at Five Points Bowl when he first came from Hawaii. I beat him a couple cheap sets and Hawaiian Jay told me that would not last long and he was right.

I loved playing Brian over the years and probably lost more money to him than anybody else. It did not matter what he gave me in any game, I lost. The only time I had him trapped was when he asked me to play some three cushion. We had each won one game and I was waiting for him to Jack it. He said ‘I quit, I am supposed to be doing this to you’.

John Henderson
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk

Old
  (#163)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member

02-18-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORPOOL View Post
"Artesian Kenny" lives in Salem, OR and at 80 years old can still play a little with a Fargo rating of 598. He has been my good friend for 35 years and will be on my 5 person team at the Regional WBCA tournament in March.
Kenny and I played some at Verne Peterson’s Billiard Palace in Bellflower. He was the first of the young guys to take a road trip and came back a step up on the rest of us.

I have not seen him for quite awhile, say hello for me if you see this.

John Henderson
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk

Old
  (#164)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

02-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
I think one name from the 70's - early 80's is Hawaiian Brian. He was probably the best nine ball player in that era from Los Angeles. He was a champion beater and made big scores playing on the road during that time. No one had to like playing him any pool game and his One Pocket game was pretty sporty. He is a good friend and we had some great road trips together. I was all in no matter what the game and who his opponent was. One memorable road trip took us to Houston at the Le' Cue where he beat everyone for the week we were there. He had a tremendous heart and loved action.
I was In Hawaii a couple of years ago and was told no one plays 1 pkt because Brian had schooled them all
Not sure of that but they werent playing 1 pocket.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#165)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

02-19-2019, 01:43 AM

going broke on the road. yes for most of those that relied only on their shooting ability to win the money.

those that shot well plus were smart and knew how to manage an opponent did just fine.

Page 11 of 12 « First 91011 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: