Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Low deflection vs traditional shafts
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueblerHustler7 View Post
Being American made has nothing to deal with quality, quality has to deal with quality and some may argue some of the best LD shaft on the market or simply the best LD shafts come from over seas. If you're going to let ( America ) be your bases for getting a ( Good) or ( best ) ld shaft, sorry to say your not being open enough. Although I so not play with LD shafts anymore. But the best I have played with in the past goes in this order, Mezz, predator, OB...
Why did you assume quality was the driving force behind the OP's question? Perhaps he has other reasons for wanting his money to go more directly into the American economy. Who knows?

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#32)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
Squirt is useful!!

eliminating it leaves a huge gap in your game
Although eliminating squirt is not an option, reducing it is. Can you offer an example of a shot you can do with a traditional shaft that you can't do with a LD shaft?

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#33)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

08-25-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
LD, deflection, squirt, low mass tips..............

these are all buzz words to capture those that are looking for the magic elixir to make them shoot better......................

HOT TIP......... none of these make you shoot better ....... they do make you shoot differently..............

if you buy onto these gimmicks..... you just don't practice enough or correctly.........

Kim
"gimmick", "hype"...these are buzzwords typically used by people who do not understand a particular technology or principle, so they assume in their ignorance that there is "really" nothing to it.

If you practice correctly and can't tell the difference between an LD shaft and a conventional shaft, you probably don't play at a particularly high level.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#34)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

08-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
squirt is a minor masse effect useful for getting around the edges of balls.

where are all the LD masse cues??? there aren't any because LD is garbage to masse with..in fact deflection is critical in making masse work

so there must be a tipping point where LD becomes more of a hindrance than a help.
You can make any masse shot with a LD shaft...it simply requires a different initial aiming point.

The tipping point where LD becomes a hindrance is when you prioritize masse shots over pocketing balls accurately with english. Or when you just don't like LD shafts, because you are used to something else.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#35)
pinkspider
Crap user name, I know.
pinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRUNOUT View Post
Although eliminating squirt is not an option, reducing it is. Can you offer an example of a shot you can do with a traditional shaft that you can't do with a LD shaft?

KMRUNOUT
Some force follow angles are trickier, especially those straight in shots where you need to cheat the pocket for position. For a shot that already needs a good touch, beginners may find it a mindf***. i think part of the problem that leads to this debate is that a lot of people who encounter problems do not have someone experienced around who can help, leading to these misconceptions about what the shaft A/shaft B can do or cannot do. but in reality both shafts can more or less do everything. as touched upon already, they're done differently. i suspect that its an issue of comfort zone as well; being asked to do something they're really not used to to get the result

Last edited by pinkspider; 08-25-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Old
  (#36)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-25-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkspider View Post
Stun runs are trickier. ...
I have not seen that. A difference in balance between two cues can certainly cause stun runs to be different.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#37)
pinkspider
Crap user name, I know.
pinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I have not seen that. A difference in balance between two cues can certainly cause stun runs to be different.
sorry i edited my post before i saw this; i had meant to say force follow, its a complaint that a lot of LD users tend to have on certain shots. i agree that the balance does help and hinder the stun effects though, but not everyone thinks to make these sort of adjustments, be it changing the balance point or choking the cue etc. tendency is that they'll just say that its down to the shaft. just speaking from what i've seen around me

Last edited by pinkspider; 08-25-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Old
  (#38)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 06:47 AM

Squirt and swerve are two different things. Ld shafts reduce squirt, they do not reduce swerve. There are some sloppy ld shaft comparison/test videos online that use swerve to cheat the results of the deflection tests.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited by erhino41; 08-26-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Low deflection vs traditional shafts
Old
  (#39)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

Low deflection vs traditional shafts - 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM

Does anyone know if any of the top players use traditional or solid maple shafts anymore?

Old
  (#40)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2019, 06:58 AM

I've heard a lot of the Taiwanese are playing with solid maple non ld shafts. I can't actually confirm that, but I've heard or more than a few times.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#41)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
Does anyone know if any of the top players use traditional or solid maple shafts anymore?
Both the Ko brothers use Southwest's with solid shafts. I think Wu also uses a SW. Larger diameter solid shafts are kinda popular with various Asian players.

Old
  (#42)
J SCHWARZ
AzB Silver Member
J SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond reputeJ SCHWARZ has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2019, 07:25 AM

Josh Roberts uses standard Lomax shaft. Alex p uses standard Carmeli, Tony Chohan uses standard shaft. Think Freezer still does, Efren still does, Busti, Justin Hall. There are alot out there who still prefer standard.

Old
  (#43)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SCHWARZ View Post
Josh Roberts uses standard Lomax shaft. Alex p uses standard Carmeli, Tony Chohan uses standard shaft. Think Freezer still does, Efren still does, Busti, Justin Hall. There are alot out there who still prefer standard.

Old
  (#44)
Jimbojim
AzB Silver Member
Jimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Why does it need to be 100% American made?

" You can chalk that cue as much as you want, but if you don't chalk your mind you will still miscue" - Puncho

Playing cue : Mezz Axi-R with Expro shaft
Breaking cue : Mezz Power Break Kai
Jump Cue : Pitbull
Case : Cowboy Instroke 3B/7S

Old
  (#45)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

08-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojim View Post
Why does it need to be 100% American made?
Mezz makes a really nice solid shaft. So does Lucasi,

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: