Walking into a Pool Room (for the 1st time)

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this is just the guy behind the counter.

(I swear he's smiling)
:grin-square:

Attachments

• X 0 Z A.jpg
    X 0 Z A.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 861

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Similar to walking into a cardroom for your very first time … about 100 years ago for me but I still remember it well. :eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And this is just the guy behind the counter. ...

My experience is that the guy behind the counter usually looked like a lamb even when he was a 200-ball runner. A shark in sheep's clothing?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At some point in my education ,I learned that the loudest guys in the room were either great players or giant suckers , it usually took about 2 minutes to figure out which one was which.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I remember is the smoke, foul language,
the woofing and barking.
Ahh.... It was all I wanted to do.

Say what they will about a misspent youth.
I wouldn't trade a day of it.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Remember my first time visiting Hard Times in Sacramento. Knew about the "back room" from friends. Walked in, asked for a set of balls for the tight tables and walked towards the room. In the small hallway a guy asked me if I wanted to play some cheap sets. Started laughing. It was Tony Chohan. Thanked him and played for a couple of hours and left. Pretty sure your photo of the shark was really Tony in disguise!!!

Lyn

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At some point in my education ,I learned that the loudest guys in the room were either great players or giant suckers , it usually took about 2 minutes to figure out which one was which.

I've come to see it online forums as well. It seems the people that bark the loudest are usually, as you said, "are great players or giant suckers".

Thing is, online is a different animal and there are lots of shades whereas in person, it's either one or the other.....usually.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Just rent a table and start having fun. Before long, someone will come along and try to put a stop to it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That nice friendly guy behind the counter

That nice friendly guy behind the counter is gonna steer you into the toughest action in the place while telling you it is pretty soft. If you win, "told ya" he gets jelly. You lose, he gets jelly after you are gone.

I got scuffed up pretty good heading into strange pool rooms for awhile. After awhile if it wasn't a big time pool hall I could be pretty sure I had the local gun covered. Never knew for sure and I still wonder how good some of the older guys had been in their prime.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That nice friendly guy behind the counter is gonna steer you into the toughest action in the place while telling you it is pretty soft. If you win, "told ya" he gets jelly. You lose, he gets jelly after you are gone.

I got scuffed up pretty good heading into strange pool rooms for awhile. After awhile if it wasn't a big time pool hall I could be pretty sure I had the local gun covered. Never knew for sure and I still wonder how good some of the older guys had been in their prime.

Hu

Yes, the guy behind the counter is usually a wolf in wolf's clothing (not to be confused with a wolf in sheep's clothing). You always knew he made a few bucks on the side either gambling with new patrons or steering them into bad games of which he had a cut.

I never gambled much at pool, but can recall two occasions on which I was steered into a bad game for small stakes, one time against the legendary Philadelphia player known as Peter Rabbit.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Similar to walking into a cardroom for your very first time … about 100 years ago for me but I still remember it well. :eek:

First week between 7th and 8th grade: @ June 6th, 1967.

Stayed out in the parking for over 2 months. The owner finally told us to come inside. By end of Summer? Every night...

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail at my room thinks everyone who walks through the door is a world beater until proven otherwise lol