Mezz Wavy Joint Question
Old
  (#1)
Blue11
AzB Bronze Member
Blue11 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Mezz Wavy Joint Question - 09-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Hello all, are special tools needed to replace the tip on a Mezz shaft with a Wavy joint?
I've done some searches but can't seem to find the answer. Unfortunately, I'm in an area where there are not a lot of people working on cues. I'm worried the local guy won't have the proper equipment when I need a tip replaced.
I'm looking to get a Mezz and would like to try one with a wavy joint but may have to rethink my decision if special tools are needed.

Thanks in advance

Old
  (#2)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2019, 03:29 PM

The Wavy threads has nothing to do with the tip or ferrule, you change tips on any Mezz shaft, just like you would with any other shaft.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue11 View Post
Hello all, are special tools needed to replace the tip on a Mezz shaft with a Wavy joint?
I've done some searches but can't seem to find the answer. Unfortunately, I'm in an area where there are not a lot of people working on cues. I'm worried the local guy won't have the proper equipment when I need a tip replaced.
I'm looking to get a Mezz and would like to try one with a wavy joint but may have to rethink my decision if special tools are needed.

Thanks in advance
The collett goes around the shaft. Don't need a Wavy pilot just to change tips as KB stated.

Old
  (#4)
Blue11
AzB Bronze Member
Blue11 is on a distinguished road

09-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it

Old
  (#5)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

09-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Make sure you get the joint protector.
Comes handy when the shafts need sanding and cleaning/polishing.

Old
  (#6)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

09-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
The collett goes around the shaft. Don't need a Wavy pilot just to change tips as KB stated.
How difficult is it to change a 3/8" x 10 pin, to a Wavy Joint pin?
Thanks

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
Thanks
Atlas sells them. The tap to thread a shaft is $400bux. Yeah, that is the right price. You already have shaft(s) for a Wavy? https://www.cuestik.com/store/produc...0&ITEM_ID=6338

Old
  (#8)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

09-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Not that hard, the part of the pin that goes into the butt is actually 5/16-14.
My question is as usual: why?

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#9)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

09-24-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
Not that hard, the part of the pin that goes into the butt is actually 5/16-14.
My question is as usual: why?
I found a pretty good deal on Wavy Joint Shaft/Shafts, and I have a couple of (cheaper) McDermott butts so i'd like to try the wavy joint pin in one of McDermott cues. Before I get a cue made, I'd like to try several different cues, and shafts.

I had assumed it wouldn't be real expensive.

Last edited by EddieBme; 09-24-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: additional info

Old
  (#10)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member

09-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Atlas sells them. The tap to thread a shaft is $400bux. Yeah, that is the right price. You already have shaft(s) for a Wavy? https://www.cuestik.com/store/produc...0&ITEM_ID=6338
I'm going to buy at least one wavy shaft, but i'll need to change a 3/8 x 10 pin to a wavy pin.

Old
  (#11)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

09-24-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I found a pretty good deal on Wavy Joint Shaft/Shafts, and I have a couple of (cheaper) McDermott butts so i'd like to try the wavy joint pin in one of McDermott cues. Before I get a cue made, I'd like to try several different cues, and shafts.

McDermott uses some seriously strong glue, I've had trouble removing a few McDermott pins... on McDermott the jointcollar is usually in the .850" range,. Mezz shafts are .840"

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

shafts
Old
  (#12)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

shafts - 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM

Removing the 3/8 10 pin can be problematic or easy depending. You have to remove pin, plug hole, drill and tap for wavy pin. Therefore, the good price on the Wavy shaft gets more expensive quick. Besides the fact that there's a joint size discrepancy.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Old
  (#13)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member

09-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcues View Post
Removing the 3/8 10 pin can be problematic or easy depending. You have to remove pin, plug hole, drill and tap for wavy pin. Therefore, the good price on the Wavy shaft gets more expensive quick. Besides the fact that there's a joint size discrepancy.

Mario
I appreciate the information Mario. I thought, maybe the TPI of the pin insert was the same, so I thought it was something i'd try. But if the hole has to be plugged, drilled and re-tapped, i'd never be able to drill it straight and center it up.

Thanks garcar. Yeah, that's a little more than i would pay for a 1 or 2 time use.
Atlas sells them. The tap to thread a shaft is $400bux. Yeah, that is the right price. You already have shaft(s) for a Wavy?

Thanks Kim.
McDermott uses some seriously strong glue, I've had trouble removing a few McDermott pins... on McDermott the jointcollar is usually in the .850" range,. Mezz shafts are .840"

I didn't think about that either. I'm learning a lot from y'all, and I certainly appreciate you guys taking time to answer my questions.

Eddie

Old
  (#14)
CuesRus1973
AzB Silver Member
CuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond repute

09-27-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Find someone with the tap and they can do it. Not many have it due to the price tag on it.

Keepin' the rubber side down...

Old
  (#15)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

09-27-2019, 10:19 AM

i have been looking for a new cue, but these types of custom joints really turn me off to some company's. I don't want to be tied into just their stuff (or pay a lot to get others modified) for almost no gain. I really wish some of these company's would just use standardized joints and let it be. Until one of them comes out with something revolutionary at least. The two cues that I really liked both have some type of custom joint (Mezz and Peacher)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: