Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Schmidt video release November
Reply
Page 3 of 11 123 45 Last »
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute
 
CreeDo's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
10-21-2019, 08:05 AM

I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#32)
slach
AzB Silver Member
slach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2008
   
10-21-2019, 08:17 AM

I like straight pool a lot and would love to see this video. I'd snatch up a set of DVDs or a BlueRay pretty fast for around $50, though a private viewing or pay-per-view doesn't sound at all appealing to me. I like the idea of supporting this accomplishment long as the price doesn't overreach.

Yep, once released digitally there'll be pirate copies floating around, no way I know of to avoid that. But, I think a little more trust in the integrity of straight pool players may surprise John in how many would be legitimately sold.

Would you buy one for $50? How many overall do you think would sell in a couple years? Only need to sell 200 @ $50 to get to $10,000, seems pretty doable to me
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#33)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Yurop
   
10-21-2019, 08:22 AM

john gives about the same impression here as i got from a recent interview with him, self-absorbed and slightly behind his time. cinemas are closing down for a reason. if he doesn't feel comfortable (or capable) in streaming it on demand, he should sell it to someone who has that competence.

i wonder how sought after he believes his four hour solo play is. because there are very few straight pool videos on youtube with high viewing numbers. the only one with high numbers is an efren reyes video. in fact most pool videos with high numbers are efren vids, so efren is clearly in demand - yet few of efren's PPV/dvd matches are pirated and floating around
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#34)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
   
10-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"

He turned down $10,000?

What does he think he has? The Zapruder film?

Lou Figueroa
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#35)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Yurop
   
10-21-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"
ok, that clears up some questions. well, someone better buy the rights because this one man cinema business model won't yield him much monetary reward
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#36)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute
 
Black-Balled's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 39,775
vCash: 1200
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: This Toilet Earth
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogstokig View Post
...efren is clearly in demand - yet few of efren's PPV/dvd matches are pirated and floating around
That deserves to be highlighted. Its a fact that is far more telling than damn near anything else having to do with the matter.

Only change to your statement: increase the font size and bold it up.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#37)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute
 
CreeDo's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
10-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
He may make tens, even hundreds of dollars off of this!
Meanwhile, this run-of-the-mill match has been viewed 20 thousand times on YouTube
in 15 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz39J-jwUys
To clear up a common misconception, Youtube is almost certainly not gonna pay him
what he's looking for.

The YT pay algorithm is complicated but if you're lucky, you can get $2000-$3000 per million views.
So John would need 3-5 mil. views to even get near his target.

Recent source: https://www.looxcie.com/million-views-youtube-money/

In the entire history of youtube, there are maybe 30 pool videos that cracked 3 million views.
Many of these aren't really relevant to serious (14.1) players... John's target audience.
There's trick shot videos with hot girls, footage from pool video games, a slow-mo photography video
that happens to have pool as the subject, some snooker highlight reels, unboxing of a toy table,
a cute pixar-style animated short with pool balls, a "look at Shanelle's tits" video, etc.

If John got 10x as many views as your example video, he'd make maybe $700.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#38)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MD
   
10-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
He turned down $10,000?

What does he think he has? The Zapruder film?

Lou Figueroa
I wonder if he’s getting “George rrrr Martin syndrome”

Where everyone only talks to you to find out when your next book or video is coming out so you start feeling assaulted from all sides and like a weenis in winter you retreat inward. Then you start with the “cut off your nose to spite your face” behavior and before you know it everyone is gone and you’re holding back something from no one. I do wonder. But I hope not.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#39)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute
 
jimmyg's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 31,386
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2006
   
10-21-2019, 09:05 AM

  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#40)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute
 
skip100's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Golden State
   
10-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
To clear up a common misconception, Youtube is almost certainly not gonna pay him
what he's looking for.

The YT pay algorithm is complicated but if you're lucky, you can get $2000-$3000 per million views.
So John would need 3-5 mil. views to even get near his target.

Recent source: https://www.looxcie.com/million-views-youtube-money/

In the entire history of youtube, there are maybe 30 pool videos that cracked 3 million views.
Many of these aren't really relevant to serious (14.1) players... John's target audience.
There's trick shot videos with hot girls, footage from pool video games, a slow-mo photography video
that happens to have pool as the subject, some snooker highlight reels, unboxing of a toy table,
a cute pixar-style animated short with pool balls, a "look at Shanelle's tits" video, etc.

If John got 10x as many views as your example video, he'd make maybe $700.
It's not just the raw run itself, which would be likely to become one of the most viewed pool videos on YouTube. It's also the possibility for follow-on content based on the original video.

we've discussed this before though and no need to rehash it. If he isn't confident of the video breaking streaming records then it's a logical decision. I disagree and think there is real potential to make money now and into the long term. Reasonable people can take both sides of that one.

The $50 DVD would certainly make him some money but he seems too scared of piracy to even bank the few thousand that might get. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited by skip100; 10-21-2019 at 09:11 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#41)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute
 
logical's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern fringe of the Motor City suburbs
   
10-21-2019, 09:29 AM

I guess the bottom line is he can do whatever he wants, he owes the pool world nothing and they will likely reward him accordingly no matter how he markets it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#42)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute
 
u12armresl's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indy
   
10-21-2019, 10:01 AM

I just received an update to this from LA.

December 31, 2019 at TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Mann's Chinese Theatre)
will show "The Run, my path to 626" in IMAX. Tickets are $17 and there will be a red carpet gala, with the arrivial of such pool dignitaries including: "Blackballed, logical, lfigureoa, Jimmy G, and 4 more.

There will be a Q+A afterwards with the actor and Danny Harriman will be moderating.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#43)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute
 
jimmyg's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 31,386
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2006
   
10-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
I just received an update to this from LA.

December 31, 2019 at TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Mann's Chinese Theatre)
will show "The Run, my path to 626" in IMAX. Tickets are $17 and there will be a red carpet gala, with the arrivial of such pool dignitaries including: "Blackballed, logical, lfigureoa, Jimmy G, and 4 more.

There will be a Q+A afterwards with the actor and Danny Harriman will be moderating.
Great, I love comedies...
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#44)
decent dennis
AzB Silver Member
decent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis,Mo
   
10-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"
What did he spend 10,000 on to break the record.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#45)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute
 
BRussell's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2013
   
10-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"
Thanks for the info.

It sounds like he just isn't comfortable with any arrangement yet, and this private screening thing is just a way to let some people see it before making a commitment to anything else.

I don't blame him for waiting for a good deal, and I don't blame him for wanting to sell it to someone who knows what they're doing rather than trying to start some kind of video-selling service himself. He should talk to Accu-stats about it (he probably already has), or even Dr. Dave who started selling his videos online a few years ago. My instinct would be to skip selling DVD hard copies and go right to something like Vimeo, but who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if the target audience for something like this is more comfortable with buying discs than streaming.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 11 123 45 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.