AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Room readiment
Old
  (#1)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Room readiment - 04-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I am in the process of buying a pool table to fit in a house built in the late 1920s/early 1930s with pier and beam construction. The table will be placed on the ground floor and will be from one of the 4 top brands {Olhausen, Connelly, Brunswick, Diamond} in the $3K-$4K range, 1" slate, typical weight.

The floor sits aboout 2+1/2 foot above actual ground. Is it recommended that I get some jacks and footings to reinforce the floor under where the table will be positioned and prevent the table from taking on a list over time?

(if needed, or just a good idea) Should the jacks be under the actual feet of the table, or support the already existing beams?

Old
  (#2)
selftaut
straight pool nut
selftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 700

04-01-2009, 04:38 PM

I certainly would take the time to shore up the beams, no need to go right under the legs of the table as the weight is distributed.

http://www.14and1.com America's only nationwide straight pool league!

Old
  (#3)
junkbond
The dog ate my stroke.
junkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond reputejunkbond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-01-2009, 09:53 PM

It depends on the size, condition) and span of the joists. I have a 17x23 room in a house of similar construction. Five feet from one wall I have an eight-foot, 1-inch slate Olhausen sitting long side to the 17-foot wall. A few months after install, I had to add a shim (about 1/32") under one leg. Since then (about eight years), the table has remained dead level. Even after a 6.1 earthquake centered eight miles away.

Good luck to you.

Old
  (#4)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

04-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup View Post
I am in the process of buying a pool table to fit in a house built in the late 1920s/early 1930s with pier and beam construction. The table will be placed on the ground floor and will be from one of the 4 top brands {Olhausen, Connelly, Brunswick, Diamond} in the $3K-$4K range, 1" slate, typical weight.

The floor sits aboout 2+1/2 foot above actual ground. Is it recommended that I get some jacks and footings to reinforce the floor under where the table will be positioned and prevent the table from taking on a list over time?

(if needed, or just a good idea) Should the jacks be under the actual feet of the table, or support the already existing beams?
You can scratch Connelly off your list, as they're out of business

Old
  (#5)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkbond View Post
It depends on the size, condition) and span of the joists. I have a 17x23 room in a house of similar construction. Five feet from one wall I have an eight-foot, 1-inch slate Olhausen sitting long side to the 17-foot wall. A few months after install, I had to add a shim (about 1/32") under one leg. Since then (about eight years), the table has remained dead level.
Thanks, this room is 16'8"*14', so I guess I try it and see if the house takes a new set before going underneith.

And thanks to everyone else, also.

Old
  (#6)
selftaut
straight pool nut
selftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 700

04-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, this room is 16'8"*14', so I guess I try it and see if the house takes a new set before going underneith.

And thanks to everyone else, also.
caution, you don't have enough room for a 9 footer.

http://www.14and1.com America's only nationwide straight pool league!

Old
  (#7)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member

04-03-2009, 02:16 PM

"caution, you don't have enough room for a 9 footer. "

I am abundantly aware of that--but thanks anyway.

Re: Connelly Out-of-Business. I can see that C is in chapter 11, but I find no evidence that they are actually OoB. Do we have any evidence that they will not emerge from Ch 11? or that they have change from ch 11 to some other chapter under the bankrupcy remedy laws?

Old
  (#8)
WilliamD
AzB Bronze Member
WilliamD has a spectacular aura aboutWilliamD has a spectacular aura aboutWilliamD has a spectacular aura about

04-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:

With pier and beam construction from the time period you have stated you have a very stable floor. Any settle of foundation piers has already taken place long ago. These homes were built from oversize full dimensional lumber (no longer available in the industry ) in comparison to the relative toothpicks used in todays construction methods. The span load of floor joists in your room will fully accomidate the weight of your table plus guests if the members have not suffered any decomposition over the years. Placing supports on the ground between the piers could result in more floor disturbance than without. This is due to lack of depth to undisturbed soil from seasonal changes. I agree with the previous post by junkbond and your thought to install as is with possibly a minor reshim/readjust after a few weeks or months. A slab on grade is the worst condition for table consistency!! You are much better off !

WilliamD

Old
  (#9)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

04-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
"caution, you don't have enough room for a 9 footer. "

I am abundantly aware of that--but thanks anyway.

Re: Connelly Out-of-Business. I can see that C is in chapter 11, but I find no evidence that they are actually OoB. Do we have any evidence that they will not emerge from Ch 11? or that they have change from ch 11 to some other chapter under the bankrupcy remedy laws?
Filing Chapter 11 in this economy today, and in this kind of business...is not a good idea, as it requires more sales to pull out of it, and if they had the sales in the first place...they wouldn't have filed...just my thoughts

Old
  (#10)
Rob_jerrylee
Bustamante's # 1 fan
Rob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond repute

04-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Filing Chapter 11 in this economy today, and in this kind of business...is not a good idea, as it requires more sales to pull out of it, and if they had the sales in the first place...they wouldn't have filed...just my thoughts
Before me and my wife were married she had to file a Chapter 13 and it was hell on her , and now we have a house ( in my name he he ) and everythings cleared up but it was her own fault , she tried to buy two apartment house's thinkin they would bring in more money and it was the oppisite effect it drained the money out of us instead of helping us it's just a last resort in filing .

Old
  (#11)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member

04-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamD View Post
You are much better off !
WilliamD
This is very good to know--thanks a lot.

Mitch

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: