9 Ball Ball in Hand Spot
Old
  (#1)
SuHua
AzB Bronze Member
SuHua is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

9 Ball Ball in Hand Spot - 05-22-2014, 02:54 PM

I was hoping some one might be able to explain to me why the 9 ball is spotted if you pot and scratch on the last ball? Ball in hand on a ball on the spot seems somewhat silly. Unless I'm missing something.

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-22-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHua View Post
I was hoping some one might be able to explain to me why the 9 ball is spotted if you pot and scratch on the last ball? Ball in hand on a ball on the spot seems somewhat silly. Unless I'm missing something.
Why would it not be spotted?

Wouldn't it be more silly to be able to win the game without doing what it takes to win (make the 9...or 3foul)?

Old
  (#3)
pooln8r
AzB Silver Member
pooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to add that as silly as it seems, even high level pro's have missed this ball in hand shot at one time or another. The game isn't over until it's over. Like BB said...3 fouls or the 9 ball legally sunk in a pocket ends the game.

Good shooting to you!
Kevin

Old
  (#4)
SuHua
AzB Bronze Member
SuHua is on a distinguished road

05-23-2014, 01:35 AM

I guess I can see how there is a possibility to missing a ball in hand even on the pro level. I guess I what I'm asking is why is it ball in hand and spotted in 9 ball and not in 8 ball? I'm a fairly new player and I'm just trying to understand why the rules are what they are. Not disagreeing with anything, just trying to learn more about the game

Old
  (#5)
Careyp74
AzB Silver Member
Careyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond reputeCareyp74 has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I guess I can see how there is a possibility to missing a ball in hand even on the pro level. I guess I what I'm asking is why is it ball in hand and spotted in 9 ball and not in 8 ball? I'm a fairly new player and I'm just trying to understand why the rules are what they are. Not disagreeing with anything, just trying to learn more about the game
It would be favorable if both games gave you ball in hand and spotting the ball, but in 8 ball, if the other guy has all his balls on the table, getting the 8ball spotted would just be helpful to the one scratching.

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Because the rule in 8 ball is " if you make the 8 ball out of turn, in the wrong pocket, or make it and scratch, you lose ", so no spotting of the 8 is possible unless you change the rules of the game. If the 8 ball drops you have either won or lost, no way to continue play unless it's some odd situation like someone walked by the table and hit the 8 ball in or hit your cue as you are about to shoot.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: