Snooker cue help!!!

Jedibronco

Hello all. I have recently started playing snooker and am addicted to the game. I want to buy a cue and understand that a smaller tip is desired for snooker. I also read that a larger tip would provide more accuracy? Should a beginnning skill level player start with larg or small tip? I am unsure if I should purchase a cheaper say $100 cue, a $500 cue or a $1000 cue. I know skill level will be most important but should I go ahead and get my long term cue now and grow with it? Should I buy a used standard cue off of here and then have a cue maker make me a snooker shaft? Any input appreciated.

sneaky_russian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all. I have recently started playing snooker and am addicted to the game. I want to buy a cue and understand that a smaller tip is desired for snooker. I also read that a larger tip would provide more accuracy? Should a beginnning skill level player start with larg or small tip? I am unsure if I should purchase a cheaper say $100 cue, a $500 cue or a $1000 cue. I know skill level will be most important but should I go ahead and get my long term cue now and grow with it? Should I buy a used standard cue off of here and then have a cue maker make me a snooker shaft? Any input appreciated.

I have been playing snooker lately but have played billiards for the past 12 years (russian pyramid, 8-ball and snooker which are 3 totally different games) and I have had many many cues over the years. (so I think I'm qualified to answer)
I recommend that you buy a cheap cue and as your game grows you will know what you need. I ordered myself a custom cue from England to start (that I am selling if you're interested) and just recently bought a cheaper cue that I tried at a friend's house and LOVED! I've hit with cues for $100 and cues for $1500 and to be honest sometimes $100 cue FELT like the better one. So start somewhere cheap and go up the ladder as your game gets better.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing on a 12 ft table with 2 1/16 balls or the American version on a 10 ft table with 2 1/8 inch balls. If it's the smaller, I'd say maybe get a snooker cue with say a 10mm tip. I used to play on a 10 ft table with 2 1/8 balls and I tried a 9.5mm snooker cue as well as an OB2 shaft on my pool cue and I like the 11.5mm OB2 shaft much better, and, it's the shaft I play pool with also, so there was much less adjusting to the size and weight of the smaller 2 1/8 snooker balls as opposed to 2 1/4 inch pool balls. True snooker cues with full length conical taper and ash shafts have a totally differnt feel, and really don't work very well for pool.

Jedibronco

I'm playing on a 5x10. So would a pool cue w 11.5 be a good crossover cue for both snooker and 8 ball w out sacrificing much either way?

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 10 foot snooker table and the balls are 2 1/16. 11.5 would not work. 10 or less (my cue is 9.5) make it much easier to control the cue ball, which is what snooker is all about.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing on a 5x10. So would a pool cue w 11.5 be a good crossover cue for both snooker and 8 ball w out sacrificing much either way?

If you are going to play both pool and snooker I'd say the 11.5mm OB2 is an ideal shaft for both. If Snooker is your main concern, then 10 or 9.5 mm. The only way you can use a 9.5mm is a dedicated Snooker cue, which has a conical taper.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phew. Please don't take anything >10mm for Snooker, it's just wrong and will not work in a desired way.

For me, playing a smaller tip has increased accuracy! I attribute it to the fact that I'm able to see where I hit the CB exactly and don't have to do guesswork like crazy.
I play pool with my Snooker shaft. It took me one evening to fully adjust!

Take a Cuetec Fusion shaft with 9mm.
Seriously, it's a revelation, stable and cheap. If you play pool you can screw on a R360 with 12,7mm and be merry there.

Cheers,
M

sneaky_russian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phew. Please don't take anything >10mm for Snooker, it's just wrong and will not work in a desired way.

For me, playing a smaller tip has increased accuracy! I attribute it to the fact that I'm able to see where I hit the CB exactly and don't have to do guesswork like crazy.
I play pool with my Snooker shaft. It took me one evening to fully adjust!

Take a Cuetec Fusion shaft with 9mm.
Seriously, it's a revelation, stable and cheap. If you play pool you can screw on a R360 with 12,7mm and be merry there.

Cheers,
M

I've been shooting pool with my snooker cue (10mm tip) as well and I second what you said. Way more accurate. I am getting custom cue for pool made with 11mm now since I like smaller tip so much

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member

I've owned my fair share of pool and snooker cues over the past 20 years. I've had snooker cues that I could play pool with, but I've never come across a pool cue that was good for snooker. Even with a z shafts or ob2, feel is non existent, almost "clumbsy" like trying to fillet a fish with a wood axe.